SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   My turn w/ Dr. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/148842-my-turn-w-dr.html)

scaredykat 04-26-2008 09:21 AM

My turn w/ Dr.

Hi Guys, a lot of you know how much I've been going to the Vet's with my cats since last Dec. Well now it my turn.

I haven't been feeling well the past couple of weeks. I'm really scared about going and finding out what's wrong with me. I have lost so much weight that it isn't funny. I guess I'll tell you my weight since you don't know what i look like. I'm now 99 lbs. I haven't weighed this little since i first got married 10 years ago.

I do not have a eating disorder. I've been small my whole life, but i don't know what's causing me to lose all this weight. Most people gain 20 or 30 lbs when they quit drinking. I've also had a lot of anxiety (over my cats and the vet bills), and been very tired.

I hope it's just my thyroid. I was told last year that i have a thyroid problem and never did get to a Dr. I kept putting it off and putting it off. I hate Dr's and actually have a bad fear of them, but I know I can't put it off any longer. Losing all this weight is really scaring me. I have no idea how much I weighed when i first got sober but i know its a lot.

I'll let you guys know how i make out after i see the Dr. on Tuesday.

Barb

ImJulie 04-26-2008 09:24 AM

((hugs)) for you honey.
Prayers too. :ghug

least 04-26-2008 09:26 AM

You have my prayers also, Kat.:ghug3:praying

Anna 04-26-2008 09:30 AM

I'm glad you're going to the dr and hopefully whatever is causing your problems is easily treatable.

Stay positive!

mle-sober 04-26-2008 09:36 AM

Scaredykat,

I'm so sorry - this kind of thing can be really scarey. No matter how hard I try, I always imagine the worst thing. And then I go online and look up what kind of terrible thing this could be a symptom of .... yikes. I freak myself out good.

I have Hypothyroidism which makes you gain weight if untreated. And I think you ar right that having Hyperthyroidism could make you lose it. But you've also got a lot of stress, like you said. And the quitting drinking... I know this would all be going around and around in my head.

I'm sorry. My only idea is for you to try to distract yourself with other stuff until your appointment on Tuesday. Funny movies. Good walks. Visiting with friends. You know the drill. Hang in there and keep us posted!

- MLE

scaredykat 04-26-2008 09:43 AM

Thanks guys. I'm trying not to dwell on it. Tonight is my home group meeting and one of my friends there is a retired nurse. I was going to talk to her about it.

Anna 04-26-2008 09:51 AM

Scaredykat,

I've been reading 'A New Earth' and I've learned a lot about coping with life's ups and downs.

What I've learned from this book, is that if you can stay in the moment, you will then be able to cope with whatever is happening. In a case like yours, where I was facing a difficult drs appointment, my mind would have been swirling around and exhausting me. And, when I was given a diagnosis, I didn't have a clue how to deal with it. But, if you can really just focus on the moment, you will be able to deal with whatever comes along.

NOMOMERLOTMAMMA 04-26-2008 09:53 AM

Sending out prayers for you. You've been under a lot of stress..possibly that's all it is! Can't hurt to go and get a checkup!

xo

gravity 04-26-2008 08:26 PM

Hi Barb,

I agree 100% with Anna. I am reading the same book and it makes crystal clear sense. Reality is this moment. It's really difficult to live in this moment if our mind is clouded with what-if scenarios about a future that hasn't arrived. Recognize that these are just thoughts, not reality. It really helps relieve anxiety.

As far as weight gain/loss when people quit drinking, for me, no beer, less junk food & more exercise (not sitting around drinking beer anymore) resulted in significant weight loss.

In my thoughts & prayers. D

CarolD 04-26-2008 09:34 PM

Mega Hugs and Prayers coming your way
(+) (+) (+)

dave47 04-26-2008 09:43 PM

Prayers Scaredykat, best wishes.:praying

serenityqueen 04-26-2008 09:52 PM

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...n725/faith.jpg

((((Scaredykat))))

I can relate to the medical fears you're having right now.

I'm having some of my own.

How about I Pray for you, you Pray for me

and

We both have faith that no matter what happens

God will not give us anything we can't handle.

Faith can move mountains if we put down the shovel and stop trying to do it ourselves.

Hugs & Prayers,
Judy

Impurrfect 04-27-2008 04:41 AM

(((Barb)))

Sending you hugs and prayers!

Amy

stone 04-27-2008 08:02 AM

Hope the DRs appointment goes well Barb. Let us know what happens.
:hug:

scaredykat 04-27-2008 12:37 PM

Thanks everybody. And yes, I'll pray for you too serenityqueen.

I had a good meeting last night which help. Our topic was fear. Some of the people were talking about step 3. Why didn't i think of that? LOL I just recently finish step 2 and I'm now on step 3. It does help a lot for me to turn things over to him and pray the serenity prayer. It's not Tuesday yet so I'm just staying in the day and going about my plans for today. I'll worry about Tuesday when it gets here.

Oh, and after my Dr. apt I'm treating myself to Dunkin Donuts and coffee since their right next door. It's been so long I forgot what their coffee tastes like. I'll keep everyone updated.

Barb

indigo 04-28-2008 05:58 AM

I will be sending out all my positive thoughts to the Universe for you. I hope all goes well at the doctors.

gypsytears 04-28-2008 09:14 AM

Hoping you have a good doctor's visit scaredy. It's important to take care of yourself.

Tazman53 04-28-2008 09:51 AM

You will be in my prayers, just stick with today.

tanyapmc 04-28-2008 09:55 AM

Your doing great Barb! Let us know how it turns out. :hug:

Hevyn 04-28-2008 10:04 AM

Thinking about you - praying for good news.