SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Weight Loss after quitting drinking? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/148815-weight-loss-after-quitting-drinking.html)

aGrandma 04-25-2008 08:50 PM

Weight Loss after quitting drinking?

My husband quit drinking 6 months ago. He was drinking 12 beers a day. At the most he was 183 lbs. at 5' 10". He had been 175 for a long time...Now he's 143! He's lost 40 pounds in 6 months, unintentionally.
He drank beer so long we don't even know what his "normal" weight should be, but he's getting worried now.
Have any of you experienced the same thing? (BTW he has a doctor app't next week to check this out.) Since he quit drinking he's had close contact with his dr. and he's had lots of blood tests and x-rays, etc. so we're wondering if just not having all those calories every day is that much of a factor? He eats a well-balanced diet.

crutch0108 04-25-2008 09:30 PM

People have different body types so that doctor is the only person to ask.

I've lost 30lbs since the start of the year and I don't even really exercise. I've found myself eating the occasional cookie just to maintain my weight.

veralynn1919 04-25-2008 10:00 PM

Going to the doctor is always the best idea but for the time being, keep in mind that alcohol is entirely empty calories (where the beer gut thing often comes in). On top of that, alcohol slows the metabolism and lowers ones immune system. I don’t know how old he is or what race he is (all factors that effect average weight) but at 5’ 10 he should be between 144-180lbs depending on if he has a small or large frame. On top of that, I know when people are wasted junk food is the best thing on the planet. If he is now eating a well balanced diet and is even remotely active you probably don’t have much to worry about. Actually 40 pounds in 6 months is just a little less than 2 pounds a week. And that is a very healthy rate to lose weight at. But, good call with the Dr. It is always better to err on the side of caution. Hope all is well

TheVisionary78 08-03-2009 08:18 AM

I've been sober for 11 days now and I can see weight loss already. I can see it in my face. I look normal. The bags under my eyes are gone. I look like a normal 31 year old. I have been playing sports again and that is helping me sweat all that garbage out of my body. I do have to watch myself. My body is craving high calorie foods to make up the difference of not drinking. I would say in a week and half I have lost 5 pounds or so. I like this not drinking thing. LOL

CD-RUN 08-03-2009 08:35 AM

Checking with the doctor is never a bad idea, but before I quit drinking I weighted 200 pounds. Now my weight stays around 155-160 depending on the day. I'm also 5'10.

FBL 08-03-2009 10:35 AM

I'm six full weeks into my recovery and I've lost about a pound a week. I figure if I was still drinking my 12-18 "light" beers daily, I'd have consumed about 60,000 extra empty calories! It adds up in a hurry.

Introvrtd1 06-21-2013 07:02 PM

Im 49 and decided to quit drinking my usual 12-15 beers 4-6 days a week. This was only five days ago, but Im determined to lose weight and get healthy with proper diet and exercise. We'll see how it goes....

GroundhogDay 06-21-2013 07:16 PM

I'm wearing my skinny jeans, but barely.

Dejvice 06-21-2013 10:01 PM

Last August I was cc 190lbs, now cc 169 - 170. Im around 5ft 9.