Notices

Emotional Sobriety

Old 04-24-2008, 07:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Me too...I have gained tremendous insight from y'all. Thankyou bunches!
Old 04-24-2008, 08:27 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Wow

Julie and everyone--

Thanks beaucoup for the awesome thread! 8 Yesterday was my natal birthday, and this morning I was feeling a little down, but not anymore.

I just wanted to add the quote from all the AA meetings, pages 83 and 84 in the Big Book (the Promises): "If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through. We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness. We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it. We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace. . . .That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows. Self-seeking will slip away. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change. . . . We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us. We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves. Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us--sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them."

I'm not really a Big Book thumper, and I'm Buddhist, not Christian, but the Promises have always hit me hard. I'm working hard on comprehending serenity, and I know I can't do it alone. I practically had to be dragged into AA and NA, but I'm so glad that my friends who love me gave me that push.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, I have to go--have an emotionally sober and physically sober day, and remember to breathe into your own spirit.

Peace, Jana