Notices

Sobriety boring??

Old 04-22-2008, 08:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Sobriety boring??

Boring??????

No boring is sitting in my garage drinking, boring is staying at home to drink because the wife and kids want to do something that I can not drink and participate in. The last 5 years of my drinking were looking back on it boring as hell, 90 percent of my time when I was not working or sleeping was spent in my garage drinking, listening to the radio and trying to do crossword puzzles.

Name me one single thing one can not do sober?

I can name a lot of things one can not do while drinking!

Oh yea one more thing, everything that I do today sober that I did while I was drinking I do better and remember it all the next day.

Sobriety is boring only if we choose to make it boring!

In the BB of AA it states that:

We have been speaking to you of serious, sometimes tragic things. We have been dealing with alcohol in its worst aspect. But we aren't a glum lot. If newcomers could see no joy or fun in our existence, they wouldn't want it. We absolutely insist on enjoying life. We try not to indulge in cynicism over the state of the nations, nor do we carry the world's troubles on our shoulders. When we see a man sinking into the mire that is alcoholism, we give him first aid and place what we have at his disposal. For his sake, we do recount and almost relive the horrors of our past. But those of us who have tried to shoulder the entire burden and trouble of others find we are soon overcome by them.

So we think cheerfulness and laughter make for usefulness. Outsiders are sometimes shocked when we bust into merriment over a seemingly tragic experience out of the past. But why shouldn't we laugh? We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others.
For those who worry about sobriety being boring these passages I can attest to being true!

Would it not be boring sitting in prison for vehicular man slaughter?

Would life not be boring if we have driven off every single person who cares about us because we are to busy having FUN being drunk instead of being a friend, a lover, a Parent, a child, or a good worker?

I posted the above in response to a few that felt sobriety is boring.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Let go, let God.

Thanks Tazman, I'll paste mine here to because I put some thought into the new life I'm looking forward to.

I can think of tons of things I always wanted to do but put off because I was drinking or sick from it.

One thing I want to do is get into gardening. Flowers, food etc...get some good books and learn all about this. I love the outdoors, fishing, going for walks in the bush trails, boating, swimming, laying on a beach suntanning (had to sit in the shade when I was hungover), golfing (always wanted to learn that sport), camping at isolated lakes. Do some volunteer work, I would look for something that helped kids, I know I would enjoy that. So many things I can now look forward to doing.

While drinking, I waisted alot of my days away sick from my evening drinking (stayed up too late). I want to start living during the day now. Fill up my days and rest at night. I think that's what we are supposed to do anyways. lol

Can't see anything boring about a life without alcohol. It was boring with it when I really think about it, same thing all the time.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Not bored here, sobriety fits well in to my busy and now productive life.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can name one thing you can't NOT drink to...DRINKING!
Big Book or no big book....it's all one day at a time...love me and I'll love you back!
Big Kiss!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I find sobriety life boring, but that is my problem that I have to make work. Hopefully everone else is rockin out sobriety style!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

I have found that one thing that was a struggle for me in my sobriety was being able to be alone with myself and having "down" time. Much of my drinking started as a way to pass the time..

But now, I am able to be alone and do whatever. I spend more quality time with my kids..even if we just watch a show together. My house is cleaner. My bills are paid up (for the most part). I am in better contact with friends. I've read more books and remembered them! I've ventured out to different musical events that I would've passed up cause I didn't want to drink and drive.

Now, the quiet is peaceful. I'm glad that I'm bored now! NO MORE DRAMA!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Mcribb do you think they would let a drunk hop into a race car? Let them skydive? Fly a plane? Rent a jet boat? Drive a car? Rent a car to drive. Be a passenger on a commercial air liner? Teach kids anything?

How about go on a job interview?
Old 04-22-2008, 09:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I think I need to get me some kids. Sounds like that would be entertainment. Plus tax deductions. Saweeet!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Mcribb do you think they would let a drunk hop into a race car? Let them skydive? Fly a plane? Rent a jet boat? Drive a car? Rent a car to drive. Be a passenger on a commercial air liner? Teach kids anything?
Personally skydiving isn't for me, but two of my biggest drunk friends have skydiving. Jet boat, does a power boat work? Yes lake of the ozarks you can drive and rent a powerboat I think the limit for a BUI is 1.0 obvouisly you can't fly a plane or anything like that drunk. I know what you are getting at though
Old 04-22-2008, 09:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

McRibb-if you don't mind me saying so, I think part of you finding sobriety boring is just because of your age...you're still a young fella and at age 27 I could have never imagined a life without drinking, but since then I have wasted 6 years more years doing just that. These should be the best years of your life right now and I am hoping and praying you can find a way to enjoy them without alcohol..oh what I'd give to be 27 again and know what I do now...I think you're wising up at a younger age than I did though, don't let it be for nothing.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

actually there is a video on youtube about drunk naked skydivers!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

"I think I need to get me some kids. Sounds like that would be entertainment. Plus tax deductions. Saweeet!"

LOL maybe start off with a dog first...or a goldfish?
Old 04-22-2008, 09:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

well thank you fallingdown for the words. I know I have to stop. I just haven't ran into trouble yet because I always called a cab ahead of time. I never really had family problems and I don't have any close friends that I ran off or anything. I just want to move on to the next stage in my life, but I don't want to have people argue about what is boring and what is not. Everyone here who is sober thinks it isn't boring that is my deal and I have to make it work so. I don't cough up my liver one day. I feel bad about the thread "SOBRIETY BORING" because I should learn when not to type anything I just thought maybe I could catch an idea of how not to be bored sober. The only idea I caught was to play with my family and kids, but my mom and dad are traveling they are retired my sister is an hour away and I check in on my grandma. All the time I still hike, fish, fish with my dog pepper, watch sports, play drums, play guitar, make youtube video's of me playing guitar for everyone on myspace. do comedy. go to concerts. still wroking 40 hours a week and taking classes and traveling. I just need to get over that hump which is why I am here.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

yet!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
No boring is sitting in my garage drinking, boring is staying at home to drink because the wife and kids want to do something that I can not drink and participate in. The last 5 years of my drinking were looking back on it boring as hell, 90 percent of my time when I was not working or sleeping was spent in my garage drinking, listening to the radio and trying to do crossword puzzles.
Now there's a reminder of my former life!!

Honestly Taz, there are times I wish I had a few extra moments to be bored and take a nap. But I'm having too much dang fun in my new clean and sober life. Last night was spent at my daughter's softball play-offs, and shuttling my son to & from baseball practice. When we finally got home we had just enough time to eat dinner, watch a little of a movie, and work on some hobbies. Boring? That's pretty much what every day is like for me, AA meetings and service work are a priority too.

No harm, no foul Mcribb, it took me awhile in sobriety to get up to full speed and discover what my path in recovery would be. I guess God wanted it to be a busy one!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I feel bored I try to get something done that I've been putting off or that just needs to be done. I also walk the dogs a lot more than I used to and it's paying off - the elderly beagle is now down to a healthy weight. I don't find it boring being able to remember what I did last nite. I don't find it boring to wake up feeling human and not like a piece of dirt that's been run over by a semi. I also don't find it boring to not spend money I can't afford to spend on alcohol. It's not boring to not have to worry about getting a DUI.

No, I'm not bored. Just healthier and happier.:bounce
Old 04-22-2008, 10:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

If you want to make sobriety boring then it will be boring, if you want to make it part of an active life then it will not be boring.

Try this, for each time you can remember drinking and having a good time, picture yourself drinking water instead of booze, would it still be a good time? Now picture all the bad times hung over, getting sick, getting arrested etc. If you had been drinking water would those have happened?

For me it just illustrates that I can have fun without booze if you want to.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
When I registered on SR back in '06 I was experiencing some boring moments at work that were leading me towards stinking thinking! It's almost impossible to have those when I'm sharing my experience, strength, and hope on SR with other alcoholics!
Old 04-22-2008, 10:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

"I just haven't ran into trouble yet because I always called a cab ahead of time." Thank God, please keep doing so.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I have a heard time imagining that water is better than cold crisp miller lite, as cool as the mountain stream with a clean finish. That is a sacrifice I am going to have to make. GO team!