Notices

Sobriety boring??

Old 04-22-2008, 11:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Let go, let God.

Originally Posted by Mcribb View Post
I have a heard time imagining that water is better than cold crisp miller lite, as cool as the mountain stream with a clean finish. That is a sacrifice I am going to have to make. GO team!
Ya, the first one only tastes good going down! It's the following ones that end up tasting like crap or have no taste at all is what I experienced when I could remember that is. And coming up the next day, what a nightmare.

That "One" is just not worth it! Lemonaid or iced tea tastes better anyways on a hot day. So does an ice cold raspberry slush.

And a glass of ice cold refreshing water is as cool as the mountain stream with a clean finish because a mountain stream is water. lol
Old 04-22-2008, 12:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'll throw my two cents in here and say I agree with Fallingdown. I think the boredom factor has a lot to do with age. And I'm not suggesting that younger people are immature or boring. Most people experience major changes in lifestyle as they get older. When I was 25, young and single, going to loud bars, late-night parties, etc. was a good time. Now, 45 and married with two kids, that holds no appeal for me. That was true even before I stopped drinking. When I stopped, I was able to keep doing what I had been doing in terms of my social life, only I don't drink while doing it now. That would definitely not have been the case if I had done this 20 years ago. I would have had to change my whole lifestyle and find a completely new way to have fun. Not a bad thing, but I'll bet I would have been pretty bored until I figured it out.

So Mcribb, my 25 year-old self (had I been as courageous and wise as you are and quit then) would have been right there with you. Don't feel bad!
Old 04-22-2008, 12:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

MCribb, I saw Stevie Ray Vaughn just 3 months before he died. It was most likely the BEST concert I have ever seen in my life, and I have seen many, many!

That show rocked! I could not stay in my seat.

Ok...as far as boring sobriety goes. I had so much more fun being sober. I got to do so many things I could not do as a drunk.

My good feelings...love, laughter, joy, surprise, excitement, SEX, felt so much better sober...

Alcohol just deadens the person. And takes away from life, and the greatness of life and living. Don't fool yourself anymore.

You have to give it time. But life is so much more interesting when one is sober. I know it is hard to believe...but really. I wish I had seen that SRV concert sober. I would have rocked out more, and more importantly...remembered more.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

I remember when I used to worry about sobriety being boring, or me being boring sober. It actually kept me drinking. That's the really sad thing about this topic. People such as myself would rather have fun "sitting in the garage" drunk then risk being boring and living life sober. I still had delusions about who I was supposed to be and how life was supposed to be.

Acceptance is a beautiful thing. Fear of "Boring" doesn't hold much power over me anymore.

Thanks for the thread Taz.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:14 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I understand the notion of feeling bored as I have experienced it recently. It's a good thing for me, but different. I am at 20 days today since my last drink and have always enjoyed going out. I have all I can do at home to wave to or even be SEEN by a neighbor, but boy, with my butt in a seat at a bar, and with a little liquid courage, I have fantastic conversations that have really given me something (adult contact) that I craved. I have to go out to watch my RedSox and Patriots and beer was right there by my side. So 2 weeks ago, after only a week sober, I went to ESPN to watch the Sox/Yankees, normally, these series would be benders for me....because I'd go out for the game and of course, stay til last call. (I DID give up drinking and driving 3 years ago, after a DUI that was a gift from God) So here I was drinking diet coke and I barely had any conversation and interaction, and I felt bored. I also felt wonderful afterward for never considering anything BUT diet coke! I am 40 now so I think, I'm with Hope...had this been years ago, before I grew up (or maybe I grew up 3 weeks ago!), I wouldn't have known what to do with myself because concerts, sports, clubs, etc., really go hand in hand with alcohol, especially when you're a budding alcoholic!

I just have to learn to be comfortable in my own skin, my own sober skin, and I'm sure that will take some time.

Karen
Old 04-22-2008, 01:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

When I was drinking every night, I'd be a prisoner in my own home (because I refused to drink and drive). At the time I didn't think it was boring, but now looking back, I realize it was. Instead of being home drunk playing games or watching TV, I can now drive anywhere at any time and do any thing. Anytime I want. I can go have dinner with friends and/or family and not rush home to the bottle. I can take a walk along the river at sundown, or go bike-riding, or go swimming.

It's like several hours in my evening/night have opened up in my life that were previously closed to me.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:30 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

poor stevie ray gets sober then dies
Old 04-22-2008, 01:33 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I thought my husband's drinking was TOO MUCH DRAMA. So I will take boring if it means that I get to know my husband for who he is without drinking--a wonderful guy who has a lot to offer other people. Why try to escape the world when the world has so much to offer and every day is just another beautiful day to live--I think it is more beautiful to appreciate our life and remember every minute of it.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:29 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too want to thank you for starting this thread. This is the positive opposite to my "things I hate about drinking". This one is "things I like about NOT drinking".

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2008, 04:09 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
where the light is

Well, the stress I used to feel on days I wasn't drinking sure wasn't boring. When I was drinking, it was kind of fun for the first two of three hours maximum. After that, I was out of control or blacked out - don't know if I was bored or not, couldn't feel a damn thing! One thing I know for sure - a grown man totally hammered, making an ass out of himself in public isn’t so much as boring – it’s just pathetic.

I did get to a point in my sobriety where I stopped being miserable (scaring myself into sobriety, wishing I could just "drink like everybody else") and started to really enjoy my life. Took me a while to sort of get into it. Most of the time, I’m definitely not bored – too busy living life. And I'm okay with that boredom that I feel every now and then - it was there when I was drinking and it's there now that I'm not.

To be honest, I do still get those occasional "drink like everyone else" thoughts but that's just another self-delusion. I can't drink - period. And no matter what age group you look at, only a small percentage actually abuse alcohol. It's just my alcoholic thinking that wants me to believe that everyone is out there having a great time drinking and I am somehow deprived from all that fun & excitement. In fact, most people are doing just what I'm doing - living life.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:44 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

From my files.....
Compiled by SR members a few years ago

150 Things To Do Instead of Drinking

1. Read a book
2. Take a walk
3. Play a musical instrument
4. Knit
5. Clean your closets
6. Research your genealogy
7. Cook a gourmet dinner
8. Write an article for your local newspaper
9. Go take some pictures
10. Clean the mildew in your bathroom
11. Start writing that book you've been planning
12. Plan a garden
13. Plant a garden
14. Play with a pet
15. Read to a child
16. Visit someone in an old folks' home
17. Watch a news special on TV
18. Set up a family budget
19. Make a web site
20. Take up archery
21. Exercise
22. Go to an online recovery meeting
23. Surf the internet
24. Call your mom
25. Learn a foreign language
26. Write a poem
27. Play golf
28. Take a bubble bath
29. Draw
30. Teach a parakeet to whistle
31. Take a nap
32. Listen to music
33. Paint
34. Clean your desk
35. Start a stamp collection
36. Go window shopping
37. Browse in a book store
38. Go to an art gallery
39. Go for a drive
40. Paint a room
41. Watch the clouds go by
42. Play darts
43. Do target shooting
44. Do home repairs
45. Clean your garage
46. Sort your photographs
47. Make a scrapbook
48. Climb a tree
49. Plant a tree
50. Make marmalade
51. Make a list of things to do
52. Write a letter to the editor
53. Volunteer somewhere
54. Take a hike
55. Take a college class
56. Try yoga
57. Meditate
58. Get a massage
59. Make fruit smoothies
60. Bake cookies
61. Do a crossword puzzle
62. Go to the gym
63. Plant a color bowl
64. Sharpen your pruning tools
65. Change your engine oil
66. Sew
67. Groom your dog
68. Go see a play
69. Write a sonnet
70. Sort your recipes
71. Play solitaire
72. Go bird watching
73. Write a letter to a friend
74. Read a poetry book
75. Repot your houseplants
76. Go to a movie
77. Mow your lawn
78. Put up (or take down) your Christmas lights
79. Make pickles
80. Go jogging
81. Watch sitcoms
82. Plan menus for a diet
83. Do a jigsaw puzzle
84. Play chess
85. Write a country-western song
86. Watch a video
87. Go for a bike ride
88. Plant an herb garden
89. Start an online journal
90. Dye your hair
91. Go to a restaurant
92. Lift weights
93. Bake some bread
94. Learn a martial art
95. Polish the furniture
96. Make a flower arrangement
97. Read the newspaper
98. Start some seeds
99. Sort your magazines
100. Do some laundry.
111. Take a nature walk
112. Play with your kids
113. Volunteer at a homeless shelter
114. Volunteer at a school
115. Pick up garbage in a park
116. Tickle your kids
117. Play basketball
118. Volunteer at an animal shelter
119. Read to a child or pet
120. Sign up for obedience training with your dog
121. Take a walk and pick up litter you see on the way
122. Spend time at the library
123. Sort all your digital photos and make an album to print for holiday gifts to family.
124. Help your kid organize his closet.
125. Figure out the melody and chords to your current favorite tune on the piano.
126. Practice your holiday cookie recipes
127. Make crackers from scratch (that one didn't go so well).
128. Make tortillas from scratch (better).
129. Reread a book you haven't read for years.
130. Tango
131. Learn about someone else’s religion.
132. Reread one of your college textbooks.
133. Key out a wildflower.
134. Do your nails.
135. Do word puzzles.
136. Play a board game.
137. Burn CD’s of some of your favorite music for a friend.
138. Plant a bonsai.
139. Play Mad Libs.
140. Speak only in heroic couplets for an hour.
141. Read poetry online.
142. Ride a stationary bicycle.
143. Set up a domino topple.
144. Play backgammon.
145. Build a house of cards
146. Make an entry in Wikipedia.
147. Read a world almanac.
148. Publish a family newsletter.
149. Throw cards at a hat.
150. Go to bed.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:01 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Let go, let God.

Wow Carol! Thank you for that. I printed it off. There are so many things I didn't even think of that I would love to do, except clean the garage. I'm leaving that for hubby. It's mostly tools and his mess anyways. I'll maybe sweep it when he's done organizing lol.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:10 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Betcha can't do this while drinking. I spend half my life at the Dragstrip. Racers have to wear a wristband and you can't drink while wearing one.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:14 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

In the beginning of my journey towards sobriety I use to get bored easily. Even if I did things I liked, i never got excted about anything. Thats slowly changing.

My music. I use to think I sounded better high......... BS.

I am so on point sober. I was clean 51 days and with that many days practicing clean I learned enough songs for a new set for the hospital gig. so I can book another day. Which is good cause no one else is volunteering and they need acts desperately.

Anyway I blew it on day 51,52,53... Been tryimg to play and I sound like ****!!!!

THAT MAKES ME BORED.

Sober is much less boring..
Old 04-22-2008, 09:16 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Pincuda thats exactly how I drive when drinking.

Why do you think they took my license away. LOL
Old 04-23-2008, 07:41 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by steamvessel View Post
It's funny that we are talking about boredom being so bad with sobriety when at worst it is a tradeoff for being in absolute peril.
That's a great way of putting it. To the point, total clarity.

Absolute peril for me - couldn't stop drinking, risk of losing my career & family, hurting people around me, damaging my health (physical & mental), risking my life, could hurt someone, could end up in jail

The day I came to after my last bender, I would have accepted any trade off to live a sober life. If I was told that I would have to deal with a little boredom along the way, I would have taken that deal in a heartbeat.

For me, the comparison isn't "I'm bored right now, drinking could relieve that boredom." The comparison is "I was living a nightmare, accept the boredom (even be grateful for it) or do something about it (stop feeling sorry for myself)."
Old 04-23-2008, 08:16 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

We can be alone at perfect peace and ease.
This is one of the promises in the BB, I was sober and had finished working the steps when I realized this promise.

When I was drinking and I was alone I was doing exactly one thing.... I was drinking! Was I at peace? Nope, I was hoping to get that old feeling that booze gave me years before, but in the end if I was able to get that old high it only lasted for a few minutes and then it was gone and I slid off into oblivion! In the end I could not even begin to get a buzz one day and the next day oblivion came before I knew it was there.

Today I can be alone and at perfect peace, I do not need a thrill a minute to be happy, do not get me wrong I love doing things that are exciting, but I also enjoy peace, something I was incapable of doing when I was drinking, if I was not doing something real exciting I just drank for oblivion!