Notices

Feeling sorry for myself

Old 04-22-2008, 02:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling sorry for myself

I think I have been a bit nieve. I thought I had been drinking less than previously and wouldn't suffer to much in the way of withdrawals. I was wrong. I quit again 5 days ago but am still suffering, although the tremors and hot flushes seem to have passed, my stomach hurts, I feel sick, my body aches, I feel really crappy, I want to eat something but I can't quite face it, so I am really feeling sorry for myself this morning.

Anyway that was it really, just a moan lol

On the plus side, I know for sure I never want to go through this again. In the past I have had a real problem accepting I am an alcoholic, not sure why it's pretty obvious really, but one thing I am pretty sure of is, non alcoholics don't suffer withdrawal symptoms! This time around I feel like I have finally accepted it, which is good, as it has allways been the hardest part for me.

Sax
Old 04-22-2008, 02:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I too was shocked to discover my drinking had slid
into alcoholism. I was wrong to think I was just
going to quit on my own with no problem.

What is your plan this time Sax?
Old 04-22-2008, 04:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Welcome back Saxony . You are right... no drinking means no withdrawals. Try and stay hydrated with water or Lucozade (?) and eat something light if you can manage. The withdrawals will pass soon enough. As Carol asked, what is your plan? Accpetance is key and I know you've reached that part already.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too slipped more than once, too many times, but any time I want a drink I reread the piece of paper I carry in my wallet listing all the things I hate about drinking, the number one thing I hate is going thru withdrawal. That list is enough to keep me sober. THat, and winning back the trust of my daughter.

You can do it. :ghug2
Old 04-22-2008, 04:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Accpetance is key
Acceptance is good too...

sorry you're feeling crappy Sax but if this gets you to the jumping off point of admitting you're one of us, then you may come to look on it as not an *entirely* bad thing...

(still hope you feel better soon tho...)
D
Old 04-22-2008, 07:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah one of the final, most convincing ways I knew I was addicted to alcohol was when I would start getting headaches around 5:30 each night, and they would last until I got a drink in me. Unbelievable how powerful it is.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad to see you posting Sax. I'm glad your trying again. You can do this.

Barb
Old 04-22-2008, 01:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're going through this Saxony, and I hope you feel better tomorrow.

I was shocked to discover that I was an alcoholic, but once you cross that invisible line there is no going back. I think it really hit me when my husband asked me if I didn't stop drinking because I couldn't or I wouldn't. And, I realized that it was both.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It took me forever to truly "get it" too, Sax. Decades, in fact. I can't even say what finally made me have enough of the deadly game we play. Maybe when I realized I never enjoyed it anymore - it was never fun or relaxing, just something I felt compelled to do. You'll go through many phases, so don't be discouraged. At first I was just thrilled to be alive and no longer a slave, but I was exhausted & nauseous. Now I feel great, & after 90+ days I no longer have any cravings. I wouldn't mess this up for the world. I like Least's idea of keeping a list of bad things that have happened - I'm going to go make my list right now!
Old 04-23-2008, 03:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi All, thanks for all you replies it means alot to me. I am feeling slightly better today than yesterday but still have moments of not feeling so great but it's an improvment so thats good.

A couple of you asked what my plan is now, umm to be completely honest I have no idea at the moment except not to drink, my brain isn't working as it should yet and I cant really concentrate on anything for long, my mind just wonders off onto something else so might take me a while to figure somthing out

Hevyn your post really made my day, I know how much you struggled in the beginning and to hear you say "I wouldn't mess this up for the world" is brilliant, you have come along way and it gives me hope and strength that I can do the same.

OK, I am off to make my list too.....thanks for that Least

Oh and Dee, I've jumped and admit I am one of us

Sax
Old 04-23-2008, 03:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

it takes what it takes Sax

some of us needed a safe falling out the window on our heads...

that some of us was me!

good wishes
Old 04-23-2008, 09:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Sax I am glad to hear you are giving it another go I pray you are not using the "My Way" program, because that is what led me to full blown alcoholism, simply not drinking. In order to saty sober I had to admit that repeating the "My Way" program over and over again was simply insane. I changed nothing and nothing changed.

WHen I was not drinking I was miserable, when I was drinking I was miserable. Try something different this time, pick a program and work it.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

******************** Sax}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Thanks for making it back alive.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too tend to feel sorry for myself too often. Not just about my drinking but about my life in general. Ihave to force myself to remember all the good things and minimize the bad things. When I stop to count my blessings I realize that I'm not so bad off after all. And one of the blessings I count every day is being able to stop drinking!!