Notices

Went to my first AA meeting tonight

Old 04-19-2008, 10:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
katherine34

Went to my first AA meeting tonight

I didn't think I could do it, but I went to my very first AA meeting this evening. It was probably the scariest thing I have ever done in my entire life. I was shaking like a leaf the entire time but I'm glad I went. I was the only newcomer there and it was a pretty established meeting so just about everyone there knew each other but I met a few people who gave me their phone numbers in case I ever needed to talk to someone.

So now the real work begins...
Old 04-19-2008, 11:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Congratulations on a fantastic decision!

I tried for many years, and many times to "get this Recovery thing" without the help of AA/NA. Each time, I went right back out only to discover that it had only gotten worse than the time before.

I'd like to suggest that each meeting you go to, get a few more phone numbers and use them! Maybe call at least one of those people each day just to say hi. This way, when the day comes when you do need to reach out for another alcoholic to talk to, the phone won't be quite so heavy.

Again, way to go!

One Day at a Time,

Judy

Old 04-19-2008, 11:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

congratulations!

and welcome to the Fellowship as well!
Old 04-20-2008, 12:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I find AA to be an Awesome Adventure!

Good for you
Old 04-20-2008, 06:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
where the light is

Congratulations on going to your first meeting! I went to my first meeting (shaking, scared, ashamed) on December 17 (my sobriety date ) and it was one of the best decisions I made in my life. I have a sponsor, am working through the steps, and have a few people I talk to. I feel strong and very committed to sobriety - life is good! It also helps to ask questions here on SR about AA (big questions, small questions - someone always willing to help) & read about people's experiences (keeping in mind that not all information/advice fits with the specific situation) - a great addition to working the AA program.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't go too regularly to AA meetings but do go to some and have made some friends there and gotten phone numbers. What helped me when I was new to it was remembering that each of the people there was new to AA at one time and they 'got over it' and are now regulars. You will soon be a regular also. And I find that the sharing of their experiences to be a great help to me. Just to know that all these people started out like me: one day at a time, starting with Day One.

All the best to you in your recovery.:ghug3
Old 04-20-2008, 06:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

I was kinda of scared to go to my first meeting as well, I would definitely say the first one is the hardest. I am thankful that I have a lot of options for meetings around here...and I have found a couple that I really like.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Congrats Katherine! Like MagicMan said, the first one is the hardest (I sat in my car 15 minutes smoking cigarettes before I could push myself to go into my first meeting). That's a great step towards recovery. Best of luck, and like we say at the meetings "keep coming back!"
Old 04-20-2008, 08:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Hey Well done awesome!!!!!!!!!!! Keep coming back!