Notices

I hate when that happens

Old 04-20-2008, 10:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

All we can really do is hope and pray that they are doing what they need to do to remain sober and even if they slip, they are always welcome back.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Hevyn, I know what you mean. I see it also at my local meetings too. I just learn not to let it bother me and hope they make it back.

I haven't been on here as much as i use too. Now that I'm feeling better I'm living life more and picked up my writing again. Now that spring is here I'll be going outside side more too and fishing, walking, and working in my rose garden. But I'll still be around.

Barb
Old 04-20-2008, 12:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A.M.D.G.

I think I know how you feel. I have had some experience like this.

First: I posted to this site in a blackout the first time. I had been reading what people had to say for a little while, but I was afraid to post. If, I had come back the next day and saw I'd posted and nobody noticed, I might have been eternally horrified and never returned.

Instead I was offered hope and good ideas, some of which I followed and I am eternally grateful instead.

In my own work, I will often have people show up in a state of crisis, willing to do absolutely anything I suggest in order to "make it better". I would say that, almost as a rule, I never see these people again. I can count on one hand the number of times someone says to me "I'm doing what we talked about and things are so much better now." For this reason, I made an effort to have my own computer so I could do that here.

There is nothing more shameful for people than begging for help, getting it, and then not following it. If I go grocery shopping people will sometimes dive into an aisle at my approach. These are the people who stopped going to Sunday Mass or have asked for my help. I guess they think I will stop them and scold them or something. As if that would work.

In my experience, guilt is a motivator NOT to do something. Strange isn't it?

Pax Christi,
Dietrich
Old 04-20-2008, 12:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

hevyn. im one of those people that come and go I do feel guilty when i gone for awhile. I know whenI notice the MIA's i cant help, but worry and I dont like being the one to make people worry. It use to be that I was off running again and was to high to check in, then I was feeling "cured" and didnt think I needed any help or support(big mistake), sometimes Im just not feeling well, or sociable, or im out changing the world and reasearching cures for cancer. However SR and the people on it is always on my mind.

You guys are outa sight, but never out of mind.

SR is like home to me. Sometimes I to leave to do stuff, but im always grateful to finally come back home.

I wouldnt take the dissappearing acts personally.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hello, just to let you know, l'm still here....it's only been a short time that l have been here, have not touched a drink over a week and hope and pray to God, that HE can help me fight this and all you good folks can too.

I woke up earlier this morning to read the forum.

I need strength, help and love to overpower this evil.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:54 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Sometimes this place is too depressing. I know the people on here are have been through the stuff over and over, but everytime I used to post it was somewhat doom and gloom
Old 04-21-2008, 08:00 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Hevyn this site is a God send for many, far more then we will ever know, there are a ton of "Lurkers" here, they are the same folks who hide in the back of an AA meeting, they listen and read, they draw upon the ESH of those who post and speak.

Every time we post here we are helping some one whether we know it or not, we may be helping some one with 5,000 post or someone who is just "Lurking".

Just keep in mind that we deal with alcoholism and drug addiction, the recovery rate for both of them are lower then the overall recovery rate from cancer.

Many of the folks who only posts for a day or two are doing the equevilant of a "Foxhole Prayer" they are in a crisis and reaching out for help, some may get through the crisis and go right back to the booze and or drugs and never show up here again, others may go to AA, NA or some other recovery program and not feel the need to return.

The one thing I know for a fact is this, there are several alcoholics that have found their way to recovery through these boards and the people who post their ESH here! Who knows, if I had found SR before I went into detox and then to AA I may have found recovery far earlier then I did, but I found SR after I recovered, but that is okay as well.

To me if one thing I say or someone else says helps even one addict or alcoholic to recovery then it has all been worth it for every one of us.