Notices

Sober Friday Nights

Old 04-18-2008, 07:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Now that it is starting to warm up & sunshine is starting to make a comeback, Friday night is a lot easier to be sober these days. SATURDAY afternoon/evening is another matter. I hear the little voice that goes, "What are you waiting for? The weekend's nearly over! You're running out of time!" And, in this one-horse town that I live in, you either have to grit (how I love that word!LOL), your teeth and get sober yourself or have a good friend/sigificant other to lean on. AS the saying goes, "an organization is only as good as it's people", and the AA here is HORRIBLE, filled with sexual predators & manipulators. But I am DETERMINED. Quit acid 20 years ago. Speed, 12 years ago. I even gave up weed five years ago-something I NEVER thought I would do or be capable of doing. Now, the final hurdle-alcohol. Six weeks now. Please pray for me. Thanks
Old 04-18-2008, 07:53 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

praying for nothingness in the morning
Old 04-21-2008, 08:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for responding. Hope you all had a good weekend. Friday night was fine. The Mist was great. Saturday night was bad. My husband ordered a pitcher of beer with dinner "just in case" I felt like drinking. Then brought home a 12 pack "just in case" I felt like drinking. I didn't even feel like it and I did it anyway. I don't know why. I know I'm responsible for my choices but I'm really angry at him right now. He says he likes me better when I'm not drinking then he tries to get me to drink. I have told him, if you just bring home enough for you to drink I will be fine because I know six beers isn't even worth my time to mess with but if you bring home a 12 pack then I get into trouble. He nods his head and says he understands and then brings home a 12 pack. Saturday night was horrible. Yesterday was horrible. Perfectly good weekend ruined by bad choices. By the grace of God go I, I must count yesterday as day one again. I'm in a horrible mood and really scared. Anyway just thought I'd share. Thank you for reading.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:52 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
where the light is

Hi fallingdown,

I am very fortunate in that my wife supports what I am trying to do. She doesn't bring alcohol into the house or drink around me. She even doesn't drink when we go out to social events where alcohol is being served. It's all her choice as it's my alcohol problem, not hers. In the early days, the temptation may have been too much for me. I would be okay now if she has a drink when I'm around but again, thats her choice.

You will learn from your experience this past weekend, perhaps your own boundaries need to be set especially during your early recovery.

Try not to beat yourself up over this, just keep moving forward. Day one sober is way better than another day getting drunk, making yourself sick.

Best wishes!
Old 04-21-2008, 08:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Hon the important thing is you got back on the horse, now you need to focus on you and drop the word "Blame: from you vocabulary. When I drank the only person I could truly blame was me!

No one ever pinned me down, forced a funnle down my throat and poured beer in me. I had to pick the beer up and put it to my mouth and drink it.

I am not saying it would not be easier if your husband never brought the beer to the house, sure it would be, but life is life, we need to learn to not drink when it is there to drink. I have sat down in a bar and eaten dinner when I could not get a seat for an hour in the resteraunt, surrounded by booze and a bartender asking me if I wanted a drink every 15 minutes or less. The only person that can get me drunk is me, the only one that can keep me sober is me.

Perhaps the next time your husband brings home a 12 pack just go over and pur 6 of them down the sink!!! Who knows he may take a hint you do not want to drink.

As long as you drink what he brings home he will keep bringing it home, he is not to blame, he is not helping you, but he is not pinning you on the floor and forcing you to drink.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:12 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

YOU'RE RIGHT. I'm still mad but I know you're right. I don't think I have done enough to convince him that I am sincere. Looking back, I was arrogant on Saturday. I don't know why. I see now how certain moods/behaviors trigger drinking. And bringing the 12 pack home just added the last essential ingredient but I provided most of 'em. God it was punishing, when we go without drinking for a while and try to go back to the way we used to drink even for one night...it sure does hurt, I caught my poor body unawares and it did not appreciate the reminder. Thank you guys for your encouragement and suggestions, I'm going to keep my head up and try to be grateful for sobriety yesterday and today.
Much love,
fallin
Old 04-21-2008, 09:56 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Luckily my wife doesn't drink much and certainly wouldn't encourage me.
Welcome back and best wishes.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:04 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I have that voice too on like saturday nights like you better go out and have fun drinking because you will be working 40 hours this week mine as well have fun now. I am an idiot
Old 04-21-2008, 10:35 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I think the problem is that my husband doesn't get it and he's not ready to quit drinking. I have tried to get him to go to meetings with me so he can at least get an idea of what we are dealing with but he is not the least bit interested. I guess we learn who and where we can go to for support and I have to accept the fact that I cannot count on him for help right now no matter how many times he has sworn to help me, actions speak louder than words.

BTW McRibb..as a native Kansas Citian, I don't know about those Royals this season but GO JAYHAWKS!!!! I missed the last five minutes of that game and am still kicking myself for it, I hear it was legendary.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:57 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

royals are 9-10 right now we will be around 500 this year good luck on your soberiety. you should just with hold certain "benifits" until he is a good boy
Old 04-21-2008, 11:22 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Yeah, maybe that's part of the problem, maybe I'm more um...fun in a way when under the influence, although to me there's nothing less appealing than a sloppy drunk girl maybe he is still attached to that on some level. I dunno but I've thought about it.

I used to live right around the stadiums. I miss kc.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:56 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

i live by the stadiums. I have to be honest though this thread is scaring me. Reading books, cooking, jeez BORING!
Old 04-21-2008, 01:41 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Mcribb View Post
i live by the stadiums. I have to be honest though this thread is scaring me. Reading books, cooking, jeez BORING!
Hmmm, playing paintball isn't boring, Sober Softball League isn't boring, hiking isn't boring. Nope, nothing boring about being clean and sober that I can see!
Old 04-22-2008, 06:55 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

It sounds a lot better than wasting a whole weekend laying in bed and puking. IMHO.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:55 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hope you feel better, Fallingdown. I did the same thing - didn't even really feel like drinking and yet I did it anyway. :|
Old 04-22-2008, 08:32 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Let go, let God.

I can think of tons of things I always wanted to do but put off because I was drinking or sick from it.

One thing I want to do is get into gardening. Flowers, food etc...get some good books and learn all about this. I love the outdoors, fishing, going for walks in the bush trails, boating, swimming, laying on a beach suntanning (had to sit in the shade when I was hungover), golfing (always wanted to learn that sport), camping at isolated lakes. Do some volunteer work, I would look for something that helped kids, I know I would enjoy that. So many things I can now look forward to doing.

While drinking, I waisted alot of my days away sick from my evening drinking (stayed up too late). I want to start living during the day now. Fill up my days and rest at night. I think that's what we are supposed to do anyways. lol

Can't see anything boring about a life without alcohol. It was boring with it when I really think about it, same thing all the time
Old 04-22-2008, 08:52 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Boring??????

No boring is sitting in my garage drinking, boring is staying at home to drink because the wife and kids want to do something that I can not drink and participate in. The last 5 years of my drinking were looking back on it boring as hell, 90 percent of my time when I was not working or sleeping was spent in my garage drinking, listening to the radio and trying to do crossword puzzles.

Name me one single thing one can not do sober?

I can name a lot of things one can not do while drinking!

Oh yea one more thing, everything that I do today sober that I did while I was drinking I do better and remember it all the next day.

Sobriety is boring only if we choose to make it boring!

In the BB of AA it states that:

We have been speaking to you of serious, sometimes tragic things. We have been dealing with alcohol in its worst aspect. But we aren't a glum lot. If newcomers could see no joy or fun in our existence, they wouldn't want it. We absolutely insist on enjoying life. We try not to indulge in cynicism over the state of the nations, nor do we carry the world's troubles on our shoulders. When we see a man sinking into the mire that is alcoholism, we give him first aid and place what we have at his disposal. For his sake, we do recount and almost relive the horrors of our past. But those of us who have tried to shoulder the entire burden and trouble of others find we are soon overcome by them.

So we think cheerfulness and laughter make for usefulness. Outsiders are sometimes shocked when we bust into merriment over a seemingly tragic experience out of the past. But why shouldn't we laugh? We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others.
For those who worry about sobriety being boring these passages I can attest to being true!

Would it not be boring sitting in prison for vehicular man slaughter?

Would life not be boring if we have driven off every single person who cares about us because we are to busy having FUN being drunk instead of being a friend, a lover, a Parent, a child, or a good worker?
Old 04-22-2008, 09:11 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katecan View Post

I want to start living during the day now.
I love that!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:19 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Boring??????

No boring is sitting in my garage drinking, boring is staying at home to drink because the wife and kids want to do something that I can not drink and participate in. The last 5 years of my drinking were looking back on it boring as hell, 90 percent of my time when I was not working or sleeping was spent in my garage drinking, listening to the radio and trying to do crossword puzzles.

Name me one single thing one can not do sober?

I can name a lot of things one can not do while drinking!

Oh yea one more thing, everything that I do today sober that I did while I was drinking I do better and remember it all the next day.

Sobriety is boring only if we choose to make it boring!

In the BB of AA it states that:

For those who worry about sobriety being boring these passages I can attest to being true!

Would it not be boring sitting in prison for vehicular man slaughter?

Would life not be boring if we have driven off every single person who cares about us because we are to busy having FUN being drunk instead of being a friend, a lover, a Parent, a child, or a good worker?

Word. I am just find it boring because I am 27 and single. If I had kids and a wife then obvouisly I would be spending time with them. I find it boring to me It is a sacrifice though I need to make so I don't end up yellow and sick all the time
Old 04-22-2008, 10:05 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Whoa! Falling Down - You're husband is seriously sabatoging you!! What he did , from my perspective, is in tolerable. I'm just me and I have only my own expereince to go from but.... you have every right to be angry at him and for him to pretend he's not absolutely trying to get you to drink, is just a straight out lie.

Can you tell I'm outraged for you? I'm sorry if I'm going ovre board but ... let's put it this way. What if you were suicidal and he put a loaded handgun on the kitchen table, "just in case." That's what it looks like to me.

I don't know what the dynamics are that make him want you to drink but also make him want to pretend that he doesn't want you to drink - but he's sick. And I don't think you should have totolerate it.

Maybe he gets to be the one in control if you drink, maybe he gets to "fix" you if you drink. Maybe he gets to be the good one and you are the bad one if you drink. Whatever it is, he's invested in you drinking.

I'm sorry that he did that to you. I am sorry. That sucks.