Notices

Am I a Recovered Alcoholic

Old 04-18-2008, 05:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I show no signs of alcoholism currently.

I answer the "20 Questions" - I don't qualify as an alcoholic in that regard, 0 out of 20.

Recovered state of mind and body.

That being said- I have alcoholism, and it isn't going anywhere. I went through the twelve steps, I carry the message, and a way of living that makes sense.

Recovered- yeah
Alcoholic - yeah
Old 04-18-2008, 06:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

Thanks for all your replys. I have heard the term kicked around and now i have an idea what it means and if it will apply to me.

I am an alcoholic and always will be..........a sober one
recoverd from the horrors of addictions
Old 04-18-2008, 07:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I'm recovering.

I'm still trying to clean up the wreckage of my past.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

recovered like sugarspun
Old 04-19-2008, 02:39 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

yeah.

I prefer ... the verb. "ing"

implies ... growth. I like that.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:54 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

well I've said this previously...but that's never stopped me before...

My recovery's about *way* more than just not drinking nowadays - pretentious or not I see it as a spiritual journey - so I figure I'm done when I'm dead

for me, it's an ongoing neverending process - put me down for 'ing'

D
Old 04-23-2008, 05:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I have heard the term thrown around as well.. I also know the difference between arrogance and diligence. Like I have said before, it is up to you to not do what hinders you. This place can bite ya if you let it.....even though some have well intentions.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:06 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
IO Storm

I am going to study my Big Book and talk to my sponsor about this one...before I answer.

The mental obsession or compulsion if you will is gone...no cravings, no desire.

The "personality" problems I still have, however. I am a work in progress.

So I do not know how to answer this question.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:49 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Title Page: ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS. The Story of How Many Thousands of Men and Women Have Recovered from Alcoholism

Page 20, paragraph 2: Doubtless you are curious to discover how and why, in face of expert opinion to the contrary, we have recovered from a hopeless condition of mind and body.

Foreword to the First Edition: We, of Alcoholics Anonymous, are more than one hundred men and women who have recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body.

Page 29, paragraph 2: Further on, clear-cut directions are given showing how we recovered.

Page 132, paragraph 3: We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others.

Knowing that, My Sponsor says that if you need to concern yourself with this issue you have some more recovering to do!
Old 04-23-2008, 09:58 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When this question came up in my home group.....

I did a little research and found the word
recovered is used 87 times in the basic AA text.
My source was another site...Primary Purpose I think.

I did not check on how often recovering was written.
Anyone want to count?
Old 04-23-2008, 10:23 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

nah.

thanks though.

I'm good.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:11 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

whats a big book? :rof
Old 04-24-2008, 12:38 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Old 04-24-2008, 12:44 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Old 04-24-2008, 05:55 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Today and only today I call myself recovered in regards to, I have recovered from a hopeless state of mind and body.

And , I have had a personality change sufficient to recover from alcoholism.

All of that is just for today as long as I maintain a fit spiritual condition.

One very important thing I need to be aware of is that "Recovered" does not mean "cured"!!!!

I need to always be aware that there is no cure for my alcoholism, I will be an alcoholic until the day I die!!

I do have days where I am recovering instead of recovered, I mentally slip and some of that stinking thinking creeps back up on me, but the urge and obsession to drink has been gone for some time now.

For me part of being recovered/recovering is that a drink is no longer a solution for a single thing in my life.......... unless I decided to kill myself....... and to be honest I would not kill myself by drinking, there are far quicker and less painful ways of doing that.

Today and only today I am recovered, not cured, simply recovered.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:19 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Just my experience, but I have to pay attention to the kinds of words I use.
Recovered to me might mean that I can start all over....go out and drink like normal people and try to not cross that line between social drinking and problem drinking.
Recovered, to me might mean that I have no work left to do.....nothing left to learn, no need for meetings, no need for talking about my issues.

Recovering to me...means that Im a work in progress.

I have to be careful of my thoughts...they become my words. I have to be careful of my words...they become my actions. I have to be careful of my actions...they become my habits. I have to watch my habits...they become my character.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:57 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I have to be careful of my thoughts...they become my words. I have to be careful of my words...they become my actions. I have to be careful of my actions...they become my habits. I have to watch my habits...they become my character.
I like that!
Old 04-24-2008, 10:46 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
mle-sober

AA's Big Book definitely says that we are "recovered from a hopeless state of mind and body." And I am using AA as my program to keep me on track. I don't want to pick and choose what parts of AA I use - I want to do it exactly as perscribed to the best of my ability. So here is how I make sense of it:

Today, while I do not drink, I am recovered. Clearly, anyone can see that I am not the same drunk fool that I was 84 days ago. And if I continue on this clearly defined path of sobriety, with God's help, I will remain recovered.

The second I take a drink, I am no longer recovered. I am then, once again, powerless over alcohol. And once again, my life is unmanageable. And I, personally, need to again surrender myself and start over.

That said, I feel a little silly saying I'm recovered. I refrain from saying it because it feels wrong. It feels like I'm saying I am cured. And I don't think that's what the Big Book means.

I think when the Big Book talks about being recovered, they are trying to show that it is possible to find your way from a place of hopeless and active alcohlism - drinking every day without control, getting DUIs, losing your family, making a fool of yourself, feeling constantly ashamed yet craving more alcohol, etc. I think the Book is saying that you can become a functioning, spiritually fit, participatory member of society again. I think that's what the Book means by recovered.

And if that is the case, I am recovered. I am here, I am present, I can participate in a meaningful way and I can make contributions. I am not living my day according to how and when can I get more alcohol. Thank God.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:14 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

If it was not possible to fully recover - why would I even start?

Now - having alcoholism, isn't going anywhere - just like people who are allergic to peanuts just stay away from peanuts and they won't be a problem.

I gave up my way of life at the Third Step (AA) - I do not run the show anymore, though times I try, ultimately down deep - I know the truth is if anyone is running it, it's not me.

The thought of a drink or taking a drink, or wanting a drink has come to mind in over 13 months - I am 100% positive that someday it will...if I am in the spiritual shape that I should be, by following some simple directions as laid out in Alcoholic Anonymous, I will react approprietly when the thought of a drink comes to mind (recoil from it like a hot flame).

It's real simple stuff, and quite satisfying as well.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:33 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

As the BB says.....I am recovered.....from a hopeless state of mind and body; from alcoholism.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

.....and as per dictionaries.....:

Recover ---
to get back or regain...to make up for or make good.... to regain the strength, composure, balance, or the like, of (oneself)...to reclaim from a bad state, practice, etc...to regain health after being sick, wounded, or the like (often fol. by from): to recover from an illness...to regain a former and better state or condition...to regain one's strength, composure, balance, etc.

Cure ---
a means of healing or restoring to health; remedy...a method or course of remedial treatment, as for disease...successful remedial treatment; restoration to health...a means of correcting or relieving anything that is troublesome or detrimental...to restore to health...to relieve or rid of something detrimental, as an illness or a bad habit...Restoration of health...recovery from disease...A method or course of medical treatment used to restore health....An agent, such as a drug, that restores health...a remedy...Something that corrects or relieves a harmful or disturbing situation.

Alcoholic ---
suffering from alcoholism...A person who drinks alcoholic substances habitually and to excess or who suffers from alcoholism...a person who suffers from a dependence on alcohol

Alcoholism ---
a chronic disorder characterized by dependence on alcohol, repeated excessive use of alcoholic beverages, the development of withdrawal symptoms on reducing or ceasing intake, morbidity that may include cirrhosis of the liver, and decreased ability to function socially and vocationally...A disorder characterized by the excessive consumption of and dependence on alcoholic beverages, leading to physical and psychological harm and impaired social and vocational functioning...habitual intoxication; prolonged and excessive intake of alcoholic drinks leading to a breakdown in health and an addiction to alcohol such that abrupt deprivation leads to severe withdrawal symptoms...an intense persistent desire to drink alcoholic beverages to excess...the condition suffered by an alcoholic...A progressive, potentially fatal disease characterized by the excessive and compulsive consumption of alcoholic beverages and physiological and psychological dependence on alcohol. Chronic alcoholism usually results in liver and other organ damage, nutritional deficiencies and impaired social functioning...A chronic disease associated with the excessive and habitual use of alcohol; the disease, if left unattended, worsens and can kill the sufferer. Alcoholism is marked by physical dependency and can cause disorders in many organs of the body, including the liver (see cirrhosis), stomach, intestines, and brain. It is also associated with abnormal heart rhythms, with certain cancers, and, because of loss of appetite, with poor nutrition. The cause of alcoholism is very complicated and most often involves a mixture of physical, psychological, and possibly genetic factors...The compulsive consumption of and psychophysiological dependence on alcoholic beverages. A chronic, progressive pathological condition, mainly affecting the nervous and digestive systems, caused by the excessive and habitual consumption of alcohol. Also called chronic alcoholism. Temporary mental disturbance and muscular incoordination caused by excessive consumption of alcohol. Also called acute alcoholism...continued excessive or compulsive use of alcoholic drinks; poisoning by alcohol; a chronic progressive potentially fatal psychological and nutritional disorder associated with excessive and usually compulsive drinking of ethanol and characterized by frequent intoxication leading to dependence on or addiction to the substance, impairment of the ability to work and socialize, destructive behaviors (as drunken driving), tissue damage (as cirrhosis of the liver), and severe withdrawal symptoms upon detoxification...A diseased condition of the system, brought about by the continued use of alcoholic liquors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well heck, I guess I'm not only recovered from alcoholism; I'm cured; I no longer suffer from alcoholism; I am no longer an alcoholic.....hmmmmm

Plz note that this is not to say that I couldn't pick up and be right back where I started some 21/22 years ago (an alcoholic suffering from alcoholism), but for now.....I'm recovered; I'm cured.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (o: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NoelleR