again

Old 04-16-2008, 11:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
underacheiver

again

yet again im falling into this ****
sorry guys i cant believe what im doing
more booze and gambling and debt
this time i WILL go to a meeting,gotta get thgings under control before they get even worse(if worse is possible)
Old 04-16-2008, 11:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Try this on for size:

Recovery is possible.

((hugs)) to you.

:ghug3
Old 04-16-2008, 11:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
underacheiver

thanks,i know.Will try my best this time.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The "trick" for me was asking for help.
I tried and tried to do it MY way.
My way sucks and gets me in an awful lotta messes.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

Lightbulb

one day at a Time, Easy Dos It, Buddy remember the journey of a thousand miles is not conquer on how fast you run is that you get there.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Wolf!
I'm an alcoholic and compulsive gambler too (and general addict). Good to see you on here. I thought their was nobody else on here with the gambling problem. We can fight this together and morally support each other
I quit gambling about 8 years ago. I started again about 6 months ago. I was at the airport and I had a pocketful of coins which would have been no use to me when I got home, so I thought "I'll just play them in the machine". The illness returned and I was loosing about £200. I then won about £300 in all. The thing is I'm quite sure had I not have won I would have continued playing and missed my flight. I was the last onto the plane. It was that bad! Since then I havn't been able to stop playing
I think what we need to do is to completly change the places we hang out in. We can't go anywhere near the machines/tables/horses/bookies/whatever.
Send me a PM any time if you want. I'm on most days.
Take care. :ghug3
Old 04-16-2008, 12:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Make a change in your life Wolfon and you can begin recovery.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I've heard that desperation and pain
are the best motivators.

Good to know you are planning a change.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

It took me a hell of a lot to learn that I was finally willing to go to any length to achieve and keep my sobriety. It doesn't have to be a struggle....
Old 04-17-2008, 01:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
underacheiver

I am sober this morning.This evening i will go to an AA meeting and throw myself into the steps for the first time in my drinking career.i am not a spiritual person in anyway,this worries me some because from what i have read of the big book(online)it seems that AA is largely based around spirituality be it religion or higher power.
I will do my best however to embrace all the ideals and hope that i can overcome my lack of faith if that is what i need to do.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

WP
before they get even worse(if worse is possible)
you bet its possible!

good wishes WP
Old 04-17-2008, 03:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No AA

wolf --- i'm just really not into AA. it does not work for me, but i think if the spirituality part is the only thing that is bothering you---let all that go in one ear and out. if working the steps will and can help you, work them!
i think a lot of people here (even die-hard AA'ers) will tell you to take what you can use and let the rest go by.
best wishes for your AA experience!!
Old 04-17-2008, 04:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

There are other recovery options ...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

however AA is usally the most active and available.

Try maybe...6 or so different meetings.
You will see that they are not exactly the same.

Let us know how it works out...k?
Old 04-17-2008, 05:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
underacheiver

sure will let ya know,thx to all
Old 04-18-2008, 07:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
underacheiver

Well,went to my 1st AA meeting last night and what can i say?
I have never been greeted so warmly by a complete group of strangers ever in my life before.The people there where hugely welcoming.
It was so interesting to sit and listen to these peoples experiences and within an hour i felt completely at ease as i could relate to almost everything i heard,sure some were worse off than me and others not so bad,but,to see and hear people sharing so much about themselves with no feeling f shame and nobody there judging them gives an indescribable sense of freedom.
I am so glad i went and will endeavour to get to as many meeting as possible.
My absolutely genuine gratitude to everyone who reccomended AA to me!
Old 04-18-2008, 07:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am so glad to hear you sound so happy and excited.

I attend AA. If you do struggle with it, check out some of the posts available on secular recovery, and 12 step secular recovery (I think thats the name). Those are very helpful.

You helped all those people alot by showing up last night. That is why they are so happy to see you!:day4
Old 04-18-2008, 08:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WolfonPlain View Post
I am sober this morning.This evening i will go to an AA meeting and throw myself into the steps for the first time in my drinking career.i am not a spiritual person in anyway,this worries me some because from what i have read of the big book(online)it seems that AA is largely based around spirituality be it religion or higher power.
I will do my best however to embrace all the ideals and hope that i can overcome my lack of faith if that is what i need to do.

"The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking."

That statement alone told me not to be discouraged just because I wasn't a spiritual person when I came to AA.

Being honest, open-minded, and willing to try something new are the only other things I can suggest to you right now. :ghug
Old 04-18-2008, 06:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

I hear ya.... But I have grown to love AA, and the members. And I'm still an Atheist.

My higher power is the Universe. It is bigger than me, and I can't explain it. But it also will never "talk" to me...but I can accept that, and use the steps to heal myself, and believe in something that is going to help me be a humble and honest person.

Doing the steps is a great healing process. And one we can't do by ourselves. We need to share our charater flaws with someone. And then work on changing what is wrong. No one is perfect in the program. And no one will ever reach a level of perfectness. But we sure can stop the addictions that control us and make us hurt ourselves.

I say use everything you can find. A therapist, AA (which is filled with people just like you and me, and share our stories), and any self-help book, and even medications for depression and anxiety.

All of the above has saved my ass, as long as I work on it.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
underacheiver

Day 3 today.
Went to my 2nd AA meeting last night,it was in a different place.
When I left there it was with feelings of intense anxiety,this is the exact opposite of how i had felt after the previous meeting.I felt as though i didnt belong and was extremely nervous the whole meeting,even though i was made just as welcome.
I dont want to associate AA with bad feelings as I currently see AA as my best chance of recovery.
I have no doubt that these negative feelings are a result of alcohol withdrawl but that doesnt help me to cope with them.
There is a meeting again this evening and though I REALLY feel as though i cant face it,I will push myself there and hope that i can connect with somebody there to whom i can explain my feelings,maybe this will help,i dont know but im not ready to give up on AA yet,that would be too much like the old me.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hang in there Wolf. I felt the same way. After most meetings I would duck out the door. Gradually that faded. Things got better and I no longer felt like my fly was constantly open or that i was the biggest loser. It was hard, but worth it. so are you.
Mike