Notices

Alcohol Recovery and Diet

Old 04-15-2008, 05:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Prospect

Post Alcohol Recovery and Diet

I have been on a few different diets in the past few years not only to loose weight but also for health reason. I am by no means an expert on the subject but do feel that one thing we all can do {If you aren't already} is take the food we eat and drinks we drink and put them under the microscope. I am not using the word diet as loose weight tool but as a tool to help heal ones body and soul.

Cravings:
this quote I took from another site for discussion if anyone cares to offer their feelings on what is said please do, I have my opinion but will save it for later.
Alcoholism is an addiction that can seem impossible to break. No matter how often the alcoholic resolves to quit drinking, he often finds himself stopping by the bar "just one more time." To truly give up this addiction requires that the patient wants to stop drinking for his own benefit, not just because his family or friends want him to, or a judge so orders!

Alcoholism can do great damage to the body. A well-known long-term effect of alcoholism is cirrhosis of the liver, but the toxins produced by the body's metabolism of alcohol also effect your brain and other vital organs. Alcohol decreases one's appetite and interferes with the absorption of vital nutrients, resulting in malnutrition and chronic nutritional deficiencies which can lead to disease. An important step in alcohol recovery is to adopt a diet that will rid the toxins from the body, build up nutritional integrity, and reduce the cravings for alcoholic drinks.

A cleansing juice fast is recommended for the first ten days or so of abstinence. The patient should gradually begin to feel fewer cravings. Then a diet full of vital nutrients found in whole grain cereals, fresh fruits and vegetables, and nuts, seeds and sprouts should be followed. These foods contain complex carbohydrates which contain many important minerals, amino acids, vitamins and fiber. Complex carbs break down slowly in the body and keep blood sugar levels regulated. Consistent blood sugar levels provide energy and endurance, and reduce alcohol cravings.

The sugars in alcohol are simple carbohydrates, which provide a quick burst of energy as blood sugar levels rise. Avoid refined sugars which are simple carbs that have no nutritional value, burn off quickly, and cause a sudden drop in blood sugar levels. This sudden decrease can cause sleepiness and impaired cognitive function which can create stronger cravings.

Eating several small meals a day instead of two or three large ones will also help keep blood sugar levels regulated.

[I gave the forum a look and did a search and didn't see much on this subject, if this has been discussed and or if their is a better place to have this post please move it for me.]
Old 04-15-2008, 06:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hey rod... good old H2O works wonders!

i drank gallons in my early recovery...

combined with good old excersise!
Old 04-15-2008, 06:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I did follow an eating plan for about 6 months early on.
It's in my favorite book on Alcoholism

"Under The Influence" by Milam & Ketcham.

You can also Google for hypoglycemia + diet
to find what many alcoholics I know do.

Thanks for the topic...
Old 04-15-2008, 07:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

I am meaning to order that book off of amazon, but I gotta get paid first! UGH....but jeez I have a fricken book shelf full of all really good non-fiction books that I haven't even gotten to yet....

Thanks for that post Rodney!
Old 04-15-2008, 07:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

I definitley fall into the category of the alcoholic that just drinks and drinks and drinks and drinks.....& never eats anything. Nothing. Thus, I become this sickly, ugly, thin stick like person with bruises, yellow skin and yellow eyes, worn down & beaten. Slothing on a mattress on the floor, lifting the bottle of poison to my lips to provide life (or short bursts of energy) and then sliding off into a realm of nothingness. Hollowness on the inside....so hungry, gaging for food, no appetite...empty soul....

Make sure you take your vitamins during recovery, that way your body is covered! Remember, most of us live the hectic lifestyle. Which means most of us only have enough time to prepare one proper meal a day. I like the Flintstones vitamins or any kind of Centrum. Please eat asparagus and green beans. A boiled egg at lunch with your sandwich. A bannana provideds good natural energy in the morning. Ginger Ale is easy on the stomach and mixes well with fruit juices. Lite salads with cooked tuna or chicken, champagne dressing and all your veggies thrown in (some almonds or peanuts too, they lower cholestorhell) and plenty of freshly ground pepper. I got one of those big uns they got at the nice restaurants and I fill it with the peppercorns. It also serves as a weapon for intruders which is quite nice.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Prospect

Thanks all for the replies
Since I am hypoglycemic the fruit juices described in the article don't work to good for me Theres to much sugar in them for my system. I do drink plenty of good ol H2O and am so luck to have some of the best tap water in the world.
For me staying away from carbs and sugars are what I need to do most and at the same time the most difficult.
I'm taking a couple different supplements for liver and kidney health and cleanse which seems to be helping.
I try and eat as much fresh foods as I can and not eat wheat products everyday.
What I have been doing when I get board of fidgety which isn't happening yet but I do expect this to happen pretty soon is to got to the kitchen and make a small pot of "wellness soup".
Just going through the motions of preparing something that is completely good for me I think resets my mind and gets it thinking of healing, not the other alternative.
I really feel that food is an under estimated tool in the recovery process and I don't mean it in the scene of eating everything in sight when the urges come to drink. But in having close at hand fresh products to consume to replace the compulsion to drink.
The handling and preparation of the foods are as much medicine as the consumption of the dish being prepared.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

i had a buddy in my old sober house that I got kicked out of who liked to make some pretty amazing fresh foods and dips and meats....all kinds of crap. he was a good guy, i think it helped him in his recovery as well Rodney
Old 04-16-2008, 09:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Multi-vitamins, vitamin b-12 complex, and a good balanced diet..bananas... and see a doctor to see if you need anything else.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

One of the things Im finding I NEED in my recovery is structure. And that included eating. Eating regularily. And not just eating whenever I feel like it, or dont feel like it.
I could go for days without eating....and then Ill eat hoards of junk.
No structure whatsoever.

As much as I dont want to...Im making myself a list today. And number #2 on the list will be: Eat breakfast.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Prospect

Absolutely Julie nourish your body with good fresh foods.
I have been following a different kind of diet for several years and it has done wonders for my health just not my drinking problem. Following a good diet gives a person something else to strive for and takes the mind off of other things IMO.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Good post Rodney! I certainly let myself go in my first couple years of sobriety. Too little exercise and too much sugar, no surprise that I ballooned up 30lbs!

Nowadays I try to treat my diet similar to my recovery, I keep it simple. Breakfast is vitamins, yogurt, granola, and fruit. Lunch is usually a healthy leftover, dinner something light. I try to keep the soft drinks to a minimum but load up on green tea and water. Snacks are my weakness and downfall, all I can say is it's progress and not perfection!

As for exercise I try to work out once and sometimes twice a day. I still haven't lost all that weight but my body fat is getting lower and I'm slowly becoming happy with my appearance again. I feel great most days!
Old 04-16-2008, 10:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

HI,

I'm a diabetic. I actually was doing well with the eating side when I drank

But now I crave sugar and sweets.

I try to remember to take fresh fruit or something NOT sweet to Birthday nite at our AA group and to all social functions.

Chrismas is a pain too. People will give alchohol or sweet stuff (even though they all know I'm diabetic). I can eat some sugary sweets...just not alot.

I look forward to reading this thread.

Have some cake!66
Old 04-16-2008, 10:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Prospect

When I crave the sweets the best thing I can do for myself it to find protein to eat,
nuts, turkey, cheese & meats.
do you know your Blood type?
Old 04-16-2008, 10:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Prospect

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
HI,

I'm a diabetic. I actually was doing well with the eating side when I drank

But now I crave sugar and sweets.
do you take Chromium

it dose wonders for my cravings for sweets
Old 04-16-2008, 11:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
do you know your Blood type?
A positive. I keep a donor card in my wallet, that's one more thing I can do to be useful in my new clean & sober life!
Old 04-16-2008, 11:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't know my blood type - you think I would!!!!

I have never heard of chromium. Is it a perscription or available in specific foods or what?

My diabedes was caused by pancreatitis. I can't take medication because it takes me to low. Had a close call with that one. I looked on the web and it said that it was not uncommon for diabetis caused by pancreatitis to be treated by diet rather than meds for that reason.

Thanks for all your supportive comments.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Prospect

Chromium is a supplement found most any health food store.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Prospect

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
A positive. I keep a donor card in my wallet, that's one more thing I can do to be useful in my new clean & sober life!
being Type A I would steer clear of beef for protein.

English walnuts are a good choice:
they most widely available and come in many varieties — some with moderately thick shells, others with shells so thin a tiny bird can crack them open. They're available year-round and come in three main sizes: large, medium and babies. When buying walnuts in the shell, choose those free of cracks or holes. Shelled walnuts should be plump, meaty and crisp; shriveled nutmeats are past their prime. Walnuts in the shell can be stored in a cool, dry place up to 3 months.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Im AB-...and THANKS! I forgot that Ill now be able to give blood!
Old 04-16-2008, 12:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Prospect

WOW AB negative thats the rarest of the rares I'm AB Positive and that only about 3 % of the population
I give blood too but it doesn't matter if you don't know your blood type they check that and many other things. one thing to be sure is to be ready when you go in, if you have iron poor blood they will turn you away. protein up before going in.