Notices

any young kids in recovery

Old 04-13-2008, 01:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

any young kids in recovery

i am 21 and in the recovery part of my life is odd to stop drinking this young, i have done alot of damage, i have done quite abit of coke liquor ecstasy, and drank 30 beers everyday for the past 3 years i wonder how much damage i have actual done, part of me thinks it well heal overtime, part of me thinks that i will never heal, who ******* knows, anyone else here young and in recovery
Old 04-13-2008, 01:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm well past 21 (WELL past it) but I don't think you have to be older to have done damage with drinking/drugs. You may want to see your doctor, or some sort of health care professional, to assess what damage you may have done and whether it's reversable or permanent. I'm not meaning to scare or depress you, but only a thorough physical check up, with tests and such, can determine what drinking/drugging has done over the last three years.

I don't think any age is too young to quit such habits or that it's odd to quit at a young age. I'm 56 and didn't start drinking til one year ago... I waited til I was "older" to start my self-destructive habits. So I may have done more damage with my one year of drinking just due to my age when I started drinking.

I would suggest you get a complete physical and that you tell the medical person/doctor/whoever that you are wondering what, if any, damage you may have caused yourself.

:ghug3
Old 04-13-2008, 02:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi bcboy!
i was young the first time i sobered up. i was 20 back then (28 now) and, like you, i'd also done allot of damage (both to others and myself) by then as well.
i stayed clean for 7 and half years before f**king it all up again. now it's not as if i'm back to where i was 8 years ago, i'm in a much worser position now then i was then.
the sooner you quit the better, for your own good and for the good of those who are around you.
take care.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

I'm young and dumb.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

I'm 22, I know there are several other kids our age on SR. For the last year of my drinking, I'd say I averaged twelve beers a day, and more near the end. Not your thirty, but I'm a woman--from what I understand, we take more damage drink for drink than men do. The damage done varies drastically from person to person, I think. Personally, though, I was better physically within a month.

If you're concerned about your health, I'd say you should meet with a doctor - have you done that yet?
Old 04-13-2008, 03:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Count me in for relatively young and stupid-- 27, almost 28.

I've worried about the damage I've done as well. I know I need to get a physical exam soon....
Old 04-13-2008, 03:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You're young and dumb, I'm old and dumb. What's the difference? Dumb is dumb!

Only thing that matters is that we "get smart", and I'm not talking the 60's TV show either...
Old 04-13-2008, 03:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

I was young once and I started on this journey of finding a sober life when I was about 22. Many things heal and many parts of life we left behind do catch up to us as we learn more.
It is said we stop growing emotionally when we use. Frozen in maturity so to say at the age we started using at. Sober and learning each day, we do catch up.
The difference between stopping now at your age sure is a smart move. Less damage that needs to heal and less problems that need to be amended.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, bc. i'm the mom of a 23 year old daughter - she struggles with alcohol and cocaine addiction. there's a lot of young people here in recovery, and i hope you can keep reaching out. hugs and support, k
Old 04-13-2008, 04:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hm im not dumb lol i kicked the cocaine addiction cold turkey that was easy as my health im probaly healthly tho i do smoke alot, liquor is another story, all you really gota do is put your mind to it, and be strong
Old 04-13-2008, 06:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Oddly enough, I was a "social drinker" when I was younger. I gave it up with no problem... twenty years later I find that after a year of drinking, I could NOT give it up so easily. Was I destined for this struggle?? Should I have learned?? I only know - later - that my innocent drinking was not so innocent after all. That my earlier years were a warning, albeit seemingly slight... but hindsight is 20/20 vision, isn't it?:wtf2

don't I feel the fool now...
Old 04-14-2008, 02:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

I am 23, one week in. And I have been through the mill in about a total of 6 years of drinking....

Dude the 30 beers I used to drink along with a diet of online poker and party pizzas put like 70 lbs on me in like 6 months....lol is what it did to me....still trying to lose it. I mean I am ridiculously good looking so I am okay, but the health reasons.....I also got told by the doctors at hazelden that for my age I had the highest liver enzymes he had ever seen.... I was like uhhhh thanks....lol

It is possible, albeit difficult. I am amazed at how many young adults are on here, not like it matters too much but it is neat to know I am not alone in age of destruction.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I too am one of the young (24) ones, trying to get my life back on track after 6years of pure chaos.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

Cute dog, I hope someday soon when I get around a year to pass my story on to other young adults who are struggling. But now, I need to worry about myself. Good to see so many willing people here!
Old 04-14-2008, 04:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm quite young as well (23) and trying to become sober. It's not that I drink frequently, but I binge every time. I know I become a danger to myself and those around me when I drink, that's why I need to be sober. "Just a few" is damn near impossible for me...
Old 04-14-2008, 04:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

I always tell myself I will have a few....cuz I need to do this or that, need to blow in the morning....nah....I get wasted....cause myself problems....get tickets in the mail that are from incidents 6 months ago....ugh

I have came to the conclusion, that no matter how much fun I have, even when I am wasted is it really fun, BAD THINGS HAPPEN. In one way or another....and so far....I have been right
Old 04-14-2008, 07:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MagicMan08 View Post
Cute dog, I hope someday soon when I get around a year to pass my story on to other young adults who are struggling. But now, I need to worry about myself. Good to see so many willing people here!
Thanks, she is my saving grace and one of my main motivators for getting sober. If it weren't for her I would have probably offed myself a long time ago.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

I lost my two boys (2 male cats) to my ex-gf I mean she takes good care of them and everything, but I miss em. One of the downfalls of my drinking I guess. Glad to see so many of us gen xers are seeking some help to end struggle of whatever it is life brings us. :ghug3
Old 04-15-2008, 07:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am 22, I started doing drugs and drinking around the age of 16. I now will usually drink two bottles of wine, some hard liquor and then a few beers at a bar. I quit using drugs because they disgust me but now alcohol is starting to disgust me as well. I really want to quit.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'll be 38 in July.
I think that qualifies me as a young person....yes?
LOL....:rof