Notices

any young kids in recovery

Old 04-15-2008, 07:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

i'm 23. stormy, is that a pitbull? i've got a 3 1/2 year old pit named haze, and she saved my life in a big way.

getting sober young is awesome. fo realz.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Well I am an old goat (54), but I know a young man (15 or 16) who just celebrated 6 months sober this month in AA. I remember when he came in, he was a mess, today his eyes are bright, he is full of life and happily sober. He had numerous relapses when he first came into AA and then something clicked.

I was 52 when I got sober, he was 15, which just goes to show you are never to old or to young to get sober and live life rather then merely exist it.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:18 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

the younger the better.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

HI bc i'm 2and half months sober- and im 20 yrs old. I think it's a blessing to ge tthis so young. We dont have to waste decades to addiction. Or die- like my uncle did at just 24. Its not been easy to accept that im an alcoholic, i've been going to AA meetings since September last yr- I can still get little moments where it's all a bit surreal - but generally over the past few weeks i have accepted it and because of that i have more gratitude and happiness.

I was never a daily drinker until the very end of my drinking - where i'd drink vodka every night - i went and got checked by my doc and liver was ok-- but it was explained to me that i was very lucky- and if i carried on it would indeed become very damaged. I hope you stick with recovery - it really has been the best thng i have ever done, the hardest yes, but certainly the most rewarding- and im only 2 n half months in!
Old 04-15-2008, 06:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

I'm with least (although I don't know your age exactly) and best.....and ImJulie.....? 38 absolutely qualifies you as a youngun in my book.... lol

I'm 61.......but I'm young at heart........that counts for something don't it...? LOL

I've loved reading this thread....I love seeing all the young people trying to straighten out their lives. It kinda makes me feel like at church and all the young people there.....makes me feel there's hope for this world after all.

NoelleR
Old 04-15-2008, 07:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

thanks for all the comments and props to all the people struggling with addiction keep up the gooood work
Old 04-15-2008, 07:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

Didn't drink today....went to my AA meeting and shared a pretty good little speech. I am beginning to get excited to share when it comes time. I suggested a topic today for the first time, and my turn to pick a topic and stuff is may 20th. I have some thinking to do....but being the 23 year old that I am....I am sure I will wait until like the afternoon of....

We can do this if we want a new life bad enough....
Old 04-15-2008, 08:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Ah yes, to be young! I'm 22 and a small female who downed close to if not a whole liter of whiskey a day for a good two years. It was not pretty. I started going through withdrawals INTENSELY towards the end of that stint simply form cutting back, which I must say is the worst thing I have ever experienced. Severe panic attacks, perpetual vomitting, and the panic attacks made me paranoid to the point I was basically agoraphobic and couldn't leave my apartment or have any bright lights around me or loud noises because my nervous system was such a wreck my body would basically go into fight or flight mode and I'd have a full blown panic attack. I stopped drinking for 4 months...but then slowly but surely started drinking again. I'm not drinking daily but about 3-4 days out of the week I basically drink all day. Going to try and go to my first meeting tomorrow and clean up my act a bit.

The hardest part about getting sober when you're young is that everyone around you seems to think your drinking is just you being a rebellious kid, having a good time, etc. My friends all know I'm an alcoholic but since they all drink too they just ignore it. When I was sober for those 4 months nobody was very supportive...kept asking me when I was going to come out and "be fun" again. Sigh. If I could find people my age who were sober I bet this would be a lot easier, but everyone my age's social lives revolve around going to bars and the such. Except when my friends go to the bar they get a little tipsy and go home at a reasonable hour. Me? If I have even one beer this switch gets hit and I end up passed out in a gutter in a different town with no recollection of my name or what happened. Ok, maybe not THAT bad, but I'm sure yall understand. Basically if I have even one drink I know the night will end in disaster.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:50 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Sigh. If I could find people my age who were sober I bet this would be a lot easier
Helsabot you are in a prime area to meet tons of sober people your age!! In the big apple there are AA meetings 24X7, you name the type of AA meeting you want and they have them. Young, old, gay, man only, women only, new comers, etc......

BTW I thought every body drank when I was drinking, once I quit I found out that most people only have a drink or 2 a month!!!! Some people go out to dinner and only have one glass of wine and may not even finish that!!!!

I have far more sober freinds now that I am sober then I ever had drunk friends when I was drinking!

There is not one thing that I can not do sober that I did when I was drinking, the difference is now I do them a whole lot better and I can now do everything I could not do while I was drinking.

I no longer sit around drinking and saying I am going to do this or that, I now do this or that instead of talking about doing it while drinking.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:54 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

Helsabot, I too have a hard time putting the breaks on once that first drink hits my lips. My friends overall were supportive of me being sober, but would also sit there and drink with me when I relapsed....so I donno. But no one is in charge of my sobriety except for myself.

I too love being social and out and about....its where I feel at home really....and when I am sober I spend a lot of time at home being a nerd. Who knows....I need to find some more hobbies.