Notices

!

Old 04-12-2008, 06:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Edd

!

I am sitting here.

Drunk
I was sober for a month and then I ha the great idea for me and Amy to have a drink. My wife does not have a problem., she can take it or leave it and I thoght i did. I hate this. I am crying and don't know what to do. I have three kids and I an addict to alcohol. I tried toiday and wrecked myself.
Why can;'t I do what every0one else does.
I love it so much so do I really have a problem .
Old 04-12-2008, 07:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Only you can decide if you have a problem with alcohol. What I've heard is that if you have to ask yourself if you have a problem, you probably do. At least, that's how it was for me. I was spending a lot of time "analyzing" my drinking and came to realize that if it wasn't a problem, I wouldn't be so concerned about it. What is it you can't do that everyone else does? You mean, take it or leave it?

I too loved to drink. I loved the sensation of being numb to pain and awareness. Only problem was, the alcohol sure didn't like me and was working to kill me a little at a time.

Keep coming back here for support and encouragement, but only you can decide if alcohol is a problem for you... and what you're going to do about it. Best of luck to you.:ghug
Old 04-12-2008, 09:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No AA

edd i have those great ideas too. they usually turn into binges that last a long time with short reprieves in between called work.
i wish you the best -- welcome to a great place to read, learn, get support.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Edd,

You can make the choice to stop drinking today and move forward with your life.

There is always hope.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would think hard about what happened in this way...

When you thought you could have just a drink, what made you pour/order yourself a second and third, and got you drunk? Did your wife do it along with you? did you mean to get drunk/buzzed up, and just took it over the line.

Keep also in mind, this is one episode in a month. It means nothing, you can sober up, shake it off, and be back on your feet tomorrow, ready to do as you will... but if simply being drunk is making you cry, I'm guessing that is not why you drank (to be sad.) Luckily, it all wears off. With a wife and kids and a job, I'm sure there are plenty of things in your life much more important to you than drinking.

Focus on those, and you will have a better time with not only your drinking issues, but with everything.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Why can't you do what everyone else does?? I don't know. I tried for years if not a couple decades to drink like everyone else. I'm sure all Alcoholics do.
It's an "All or Nothing" type of thing. There is no middle ground.
If you can't control it, there are few options for you.
I can tell you that my desire to drink "Normally" is gone. I have no desire to do something that I see as pointless. A couple drinks now and again? Why Bother?
Old 04-12-2008, 07:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

boy the shame doesn't usually hit me until after the fact.....at least you can identify with that. I try and turn that nasty hangover I get when I relapse mixed with my shame to throttle me into recovery. LEARN from it.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

edd,only drinking convinced me I could not control the amount of booze I drank once started,and it convinced me (finally) I was a alcoholic
Old 04-12-2008, 07:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

Blessings to you and your family
Old 04-16-2008, 09:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

Lightbulb

It's call a Disease Buddy,you said you love it, lets rephrase that you are Addict it to it we cant do this alone, or with our own strength, even if we want it to,
Old 04-17-2008, 10:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Edd...for me, all I need to be convinced you have at least some problems with alcohol is this post. You said yourself you can't stop and are an addict, and you are crying about it.

You're recognizing it now, so I hope you find the strength to change it. Stick around here for help!
Old 04-17-2008, 10:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Edd. I hope you bookmarked us so you remember to come back when you are sober.

Glad you are here. :ghug3
Old 07-21-2012, 06:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Edd, It's not the volume I drink or smoke that makes me powerless (although it does), it's the fact that I can't say no... If given the opportunity I just mindlessly take it.