Notices

I need help with the math

Old 04-10-2008, 08:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need help with the math

hello SR what a great site thank you carol for the welcome here is the math problem I have been sober for 153 days and clean for 99 does that mean I have 242 days altogether or do I just say I have 3 months of sobriety. The numbers shouldn't mean as much as they do but i want to get it right this is the first time i have been clean and sober in my life every day means alot to me for the last 2 weeks i have been coning to this site and reading all yur posts I finally got brave today and joined your group looking forward to being a member of SR.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My opinion...days WITHOUT any mind or mood altering substance.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Bandit,

Hello and welcome! At my outpatient treatment center, someone asked a similar question and our counselor responded that you count them together, not seperately. Addiction is addiction. So, for instance, you might introduce yourself to the group by saying, "HI, my name is Bandit, I'm and alcoholic and a drug addict and I've been clean and sober for 99 days."

I know that might not be as fun as recognizing your longer length of sobriety but I can understand why we (in my group) are taught that way. Because we see lots of alcoholics and addicts swap one addiction for another and what we are trying to address by getting sober is *not using* any substances that impair our ability to be in control of and to manage our own lives.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Keep up the good work! 99 days is a big deal!
Old 04-10-2008, 08:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Congratulations on your sobriety from both .
Old 04-10-2008, 09:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Bandit

I agree with MLE. I also agree that it hardly matters. The numbers are significant regardless and reflect a rock solid recovery.

Once the numbers become significant, I think it can be dangerous to use them as any kind of "measuring stick." After all, I'm sure there are people with 5 years of sobriety who are sick as all getout. A house of cards waiting for just a gentle breeze.

On the other hand there can be people such as yourself who are growing by the day toward a life of sobriety. Which person would you rather be?

I think the oldtimers who are on here daily and who give their help and encouragement so freely know this. There is no number more significant than today. Way to go!

warren

Last edited by warrens; 04-10-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just out of curiosity, what drug were you taking during the "sober days" that you count as sober? If it was suboxone I'd say you have an excellent argument for "counting" those days (although some would disagree). If it was methadone, well... that's a stretch. Or maybe you're not even talking about opiates at all, not sure.

Anyhow in my opinion, we should let addicts beef-up their clean days by using any accounting tricks they want, short of outright lying. If it means so much to somebody to boast that they've been clean for 8 months, why deny them of that by niggling over details? It can only help their mindset if their numbers are inflated.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Bandit,

Great job, everyday is a gift. Counting is important to you, and I well remember on my morning jog thinking about my totals. That being said, we are human and in my opinion the motivation of days sober is valuable. I will pass on a little saying that applies pretty much to all of us. DON'T GET SO BUSY COUNTING (WEEKS_MONTHS_YEARS) THAT YOU FORGET TO BR GRATEFUL FOR EACH DAY!

We celebrate our 1ST year for ourselves and all the other years for those behind us so that they know it is possible. I have a few years, but as was previously said, it is today that I take care of. I may be some years away from my last drink, but I am just as close to my next one as the man or woman with one day of sobriety.

Congratulations and keep up the good work. Help the fellow who has fewer days than yourself, and your sobriety will take care of itself.

Good luck,

Jon
Old 04-10-2008, 01:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thank you for your replies I have been wondering about this for a long time now I am going to go with the 99 days it only makes sense before when I would attempt sobriety I always had my pot to fall back on my pot smoking would increase each time after I quit the booze I have been doing booze and or drugs steady for 40 years of my 54. I didn't really think pot was a hard drug but it has taken some doing to give it up. My drinking wasn't that easy to let go of either

mle you are so right not to use any substance. In the past when I was sober and still smoking I thought that I had my addictions beat, I know I''m alcholic, addict that is a hard one

thank you warren I don't know how rock hard my recovery is but it is getting easier I don't jones as much as I used to.

exjunky my drug of choice was pot, marjuana, nothing new or exoctic just good old fashioned pot. I very much admire anyone who has battled addictions of the harder drugs must take a very strong person to overcome the hard stuff.

thank jfanagle and quendrida for you kind words of support
Old 04-10-2008, 05:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

....Good to see you here with us

Are you following a recovery program?
I started feeling solid in my recovery
when I began doing the Steps of AA.

It's an awesome adventure....

Well done on your 99 days!
Old 04-10-2008, 06:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

bandit, welcome... and congratulations...

just count the day...

for thats whats really the blessing of recovery...
Old 04-10-2008, 06:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hi carol no I'm not with a program I thought I would give myself 6 months on my own before I commited to a program of any kind I don't know where that specific 6 months came from but that was the orginal thought now I'm thinking I should go for something I live out in the country and I work in an isolated area as well so maybe an on line group is best for me right now. SR is a 24 hour event which is good a person can check in anytime just reading the posts is comforting.

rusty zipper you are right every day does count doesn't it.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A foundation of honesty

Welcome Bandit,

you have started a great foundation built on honesty, asking genuine questions is good. Ultimately, it is your truth that is most important.

When I worked and continue to work the steps as they are laid out in the Big Book, I discovered who I really was, and who I can strive to be, this is the coolest.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey there bandit! I can completly relate to what you say about using pot instead of alcohol. I did that too. I thought I had my drinking under controll, but then I tried to stop smoking pot. Well, needless to say, my drinking then turned WAYYYY out of control. Congrats on stopping everything all at once. It will be better in the long run!
Old 04-10-2008, 09:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bandit View Post
thank you for your replies I have been wondering about this for a long time now I am going to go with the 99 days

You have to admit, 99 days has a really nice ring to it.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Old 04-10-2008, 09:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

hi guys thanks for your welcome and support
for 40 years I was either high or drunk or both.
99 days sounds pretty good alrite. I'll take it.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR bandit and congrats on 99 days clean and sober.

Kevin
Old 04-11-2008, 05:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Well now it is a 100 days!!! Congrats!!

In AA we jokingly refer to folks who stop drinking and keep smoking dope as using the "Marijuana Maintenance Program" LOL The guys who have done this flat out say that they can not honestly call that time as sober time, so from what you say it sounds like you have 100 days which is flat out awesome!!!!
Old 04-11-2008, 06:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

hay tazman I have never heard of the marijuana maintenance program before I got a real chuckle out of that I honestly think it's easier for me to stay sober now that I'm not tokin maybe I\m just kidding myself because I've not been around the booze scene for quite awhile I've kept myself totally away from my drinkin buddies don't have any booze in the house still have my stash of pot in the freezer keep telling myself I should sell it to somebody I don't feel threatened by it not like the booze 100 days wow can't believe it myself.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I can imagine it is easier staying sober by not getting stoned, I know if I got stoned today more then likely it would make me far more open to the idea of how nice a drink would be!