Notices

To Drink Or Not To Drink Impute Needed

Old 04-04-2008, 02:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eqlibrium View Post
just curious i do think people need to know the pros and cons not just cons or not just pros and i do not choose to drink becasue the cons outnumber the pros 5/1
Hm, 5/1 ... sounds quite scientific. Well, I can only speak for myself but trust me, I am well aware of all the "pros". I used them for years to convince myself that I couldn't, shouldn't, wouldn't quit. Thankfully I finally got to the point that I decided "to hell with the 'pros', I want off this merry-go-round".
Old 04-04-2008, 02:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A.M.D.G.

Improved spelling I think. Perhaps.

You should see what happens to my spelling when I drink. (Actually, you can! Just look at some of my old posts. I am a typing nightmare, drunk, and without a spellcheck.)

That's just my input though. And there are better reasons not to drink.

Pax,
Dietrich

(I apologize in advance for my blatant sarcasm. I just couldn't resist. Mea culpa.)
Old 04-04-2008, 03:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Short term, drinking affords me only a few of the AA promises:

My whole attitude and outlook upon life changed. (It was every one elses fault)

Fear of people and of economic insecurity left me. (I made friends easily, and was a big spender)

I intuitively knew how to handle situations . (You know, those "great" ideas we used to get ?)

Seriously though, the Big Book talks about enjoying Alcohol in the Chapter to The Wives.

You have passed happy evenings together chatting and drinking before your fire. Perhaps you both like parties which would be dull without liquor. We have enjoyed such evenings ourselves; we had a good time. We know all about liquor as a social lubricant
Also, it cautions us against "hating" drinking in Working with Others:

We are careful never to show intolerance or hatred of drinking as an institution.
The problem is, once I pick up, it's ON, and I can't quit. Even if I do put it down, I eventually pick up again.

Without the program of AA, I am trapped in a hopeless state of mind and body.....
Old 04-04-2008, 03:25 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Pro's and Con's ?

Honestly, I never thought of alcohol in those terms.

Must be because I'm alcoholic. I guess a non-alcoholic person could weigh both sides and say for instance....."you know, if I stay here and drink a few more beers there's a good chance I might make some time with this lovely lady...but, you know what if I do that there's a good chance I might get a DUI on the way home and that wouldn't be good."

I never thought like that....ever....I just drank....period....ended up making a complete A** out of myself and then got the DUI...a lot of the time.

I'm alcoholic..I never weigh pro's and con's when drinking is concerned, that's one characteristic of an alcoholic. Once I put one in me there's no stopping, wasn't always like that but with practice I got that way.

God's Peace
Old 04-04-2008, 03:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

well there some pretty good arguments i see were most of you come from and i dont blame ya thanks for the replies
Old 04-04-2008, 04:15 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't hate drinking or drinkers. I'm well aware my problem is my problem.

But I look over my life and the lives of my friends here - and I really don't see any pros. Don't see any pros in smoking either, or in sticking a fork into a live socket...

I think, at best, to ask the question here - and persist with it - was insensitive.
D
Old 04-04-2008, 06:29 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I didn't find it at all insensitive. The only stupid question for me is the one not asked.

We ask for help in a myriad of ways

Kevin
Old 04-04-2008, 06:45 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

When I was drinking, the cons didn't matter. I drank any way. Even when my health, job, and future were at risk. That is a huge con in itself. Drinking is a huge illusion. I guess you need to come full circle before you realize that, for an alcoholic, there are no pros in drinking. The bottle only represents pain and misery to me. Nothing good can come out of it.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:03 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Okay:

Here's the pros: I got to drink myself to the point that I didn't feel the pain of being raped not once but twice. I got to drink all the time so that when my children came to me for help or wanting to play, I knew how to do that without crying because inside I was just a wound up piece of misery and self-loathing. Basically, I got to subvert the self-loathing to a very small dark corner somewhere I couldn't see it and when my husband wanted to make love to me, I could pretend to know how to do that and that I enjoyed it (Since the first rape was at 14 to take my virginity and the next rape was when I was still quite young -19) The pros of drinking for me allowed me to present to the world and to family and friends who I loved, a person, me, that had a head and neck and shoulders and all the right body parts but none of the right emotional and spiritual parts because I'd never put her back together again. I'd just drink the sorrow and the pain away. And call it happiness.

So those where the pros.

The cons are that, at age 39, I have to find a way to occupy my body and actually stay upright for long periods of time in an effort to tear out space that alcohol occupied and fill that space with parts of me that are true and real. One con about that is that I have no clue what is true and real about me. And the self-loathing has his way of getting in the way all the time. More cons: My husband has had to go through a huge transition in an effort to understand and question who is he married to? Another con is that I find myself teary or even outright sobbing at inapproriate times - at the red light, walking around the lake, meeting my child's teacher. You understand.

The cons go on. I wake up in the morning and although I know the first thing to do is to pray for sobriety for that day. But then the next thing is a complete mystery. Trying to learn how to listen to God is hard. That's a con, I think.

This is not a comprehensive list, of course. But oh - one more pro- I've lost a little weight! So there is always a silver lining.

That's what I got to add. Keep on doing it.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:14 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Don't drink.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:29 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

well thanks for all the pros and cons people but i know for me i definatly wont drink iv aleady gained so much in past 2 months then i have gained in years
Old 04-05-2008, 02:18 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I enjoyed drinking in college, 20's, 30's when I was a normal, social drinker. Had alot of fun with friends, never (or rarely overdrank), wasn't an issue at all. Went days or weeks without drinking or even thinking about it.
If I had remained that way, I would add that to "pro" about drinking. (Am I the only one here?) I used to enjoy a beer after skiing, wine with a special occassion. Many people continue to drink this way and enjoy it with no detriment to their health. (My husband is one.)

Something went wrong with me along the way. Part depression, part bordom and the horror very gradually began. But that's me. Why be so hard on people who drink responsibly. I haven't had a drink in 4 years and it is now out of my life. Rarely, if ever tempted. It became a "con" for me but why so hard on others?

OK, I'm prepared for all the crushing responses.

jane
Old 04-05-2008, 11:21 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
mle-sober

No crushing responses here - I don't sense any type of judgement about non-alcoholics drinking responsibly in this thread or any others here - Maybe I'm just missing it. I hope it wasn't something yyou got out of my post?

It sounds to me that Eqlibrium is examining his/her drinking and smoking. And the fact that they are doing it here, on a site for sobriety and recovery indicates they are taking it seriously and questioning (if they don't already know) whether or not they are abusing their substances. And to what extent it is affecting their lives.

I never did drink reasonably but I know lots and lots of people who do including most of my family. I have no problem with that other than a lingering sadness that I'm not one of them! I'm hoping that as I work the steps and get more sobriety under my belt I'll be able to let go of that.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:21 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi,

As many have said here, there are no pros, of drinking...

Early in my drinking carreer, yes, it DID make me feel good..I was able to live in my own skin...BUT, What I learned was, drinking gave me a false sense of identity, that HID the deep routed problems like low self esteem, and took away my fears of FITTING IN. After thirty years, this disease progressed to nothing positive, and tried to kill me...

I think we also tend to KID ourselves when we drink that we are going to have a good time...
Old 04-05-2008, 01:15 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I think the point of this thread was to focus on alcoholics, not those who can control their drinking. For this alcoholic, there are no pros. For those problem drinkers who still find pros, be forewarned, they don't last forever. Hence, the cons.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:07 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

well thanks or the posts guides i just wanted to hear some good information and its been interesting what u guys have said
Old 04-05-2008, 02:26 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

If you are an alcoholic there are no pro's to drinking. Good luck finding ONE.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:47 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

even to alcolic there is easy pro you can feel more confident, more energy, you feel normal when you drink that is a pro, not saying go out and drink but that is a pro i say every one here seems there is no pros but there is but i see a person is at there strongest point when they know the pros and cons and can still say no to the bottle

thats what i beleive is when someone has really conquered there addiction is when they can thinnk like that
Old 04-05-2008, 04:16 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
mle-sober

I think feeling normal when you drink is not a pro - it is a symptom of alcohol dependence.

And I think that someone has really conquered their addiction when they die surrounded by friends and family who truly know and love them, who have not been chronically hurt or abused by them. I think someone has really conquered their addiction when they have spent their life giving rather than taking, they are at peace with their higher power and they have found a way to be on the earth without bringing pain and suffering. Someone has conquered their addiction when they know themselves and feel comfortable with themselves without the aid of alcohol or drugs.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:38 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I'll say it again. There are no pros to drinking. Alcoholism is a progressive disease. Sure, we drank to feel good, to have fun, to feel confident in the early days, but when the disease takes over, there is nothing fun about it. I lost my soul to the disease. I used to have to drink to stop the shakes, to clear my head, to feel normal. That is not a pro. That is losing control and becoming powerless against alcohol. If you can't understand that, have not experienced this yet, if you are still finding pros in drinking, most likely you still have some more drinking to do. I hope not, but you may have to find out for yourself.

To an alcoholic, to drink is to live an unmanageable life. I felt shame and guilt by my actions. I was afraid of where I was heading and felt hopeless because I could not stop. Nothing good in that. Yeah, I kissed the pros
good bye a long time ago and welcomed in the cons. For me, to drink is to die.