Notices

I just lost everything....need help

Old 04-03-2008, 05:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Holy Smoke Rob,

You have indeed lost a lot. But not everything, apparently. What an amazing woman you have!

Do you now recognize that your are powerless? That you are insane? No sane man would have done what you did. We cannot "think" our way back to sanity. God knows we've tried. Over and over again with the same freakin' results.

Is it time to perhaps surrender? If fighting has cost you what no sane man would risk, what does that tell you? You are up against something far greater than you. Admit it and you can become free. Accept it. Humans always fail. Sure, Babe Ruth hit 60 home runs, but in doing so he found out he couldn't hit more than that. We all do.

Mickey Mantle played with knees that would have crippled most. He had legendary courage. But he succumbed to alcohol. History is filled with powerful people that lost to addiction. Only by surrendering do we have a chance.

warren
Old 04-03-2008, 05:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

When I was hopeless, I asked for help and took it. Good to see you doing that too.

Kevin
Old 04-03-2008, 06:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Rob,

I have to be honest, I'm glad to hear that you lost your job. Now, you don't have anything keeping you from going into Treatment. I used the job as a reason for way too long to keep me from getting the intense help that I needed. I had tried detox and outpatient/AA/NA so many times and the depth of where my disease had taken me, I needed full time treatment. My using was a full time job in itself. I needed to put just as much time, no, more time into getting clean and sober than I put into using.

I truly believe that God is doing for you what you could not do for yourself.

You said that you've held this job for what, 20 some years? This is all you know?

Recovery is a complete change in everything!

God is giving you a gift. The gift of starting over. Obviously the past way wasn't working. I believe in my heart that if you were to go into residential treatment, (which no doubt is what you need) and then tried to go back to the same job, it would be too much for you. Memories, same people, same place, same things.

Sure, right now it seems as though your life is in the toilet. But look at that beautiful woman who obviously loves you so much. She hasn't walked out, has she? She came on here, to a world of strangers to thank us for supporting you with good wishes and Prayers.

I'd like to have you read a thread I posted on here on April 1. It's called 4/1/91 My Sister Died. My Sister died at age 26 from this disease. The day she was to go into treatment, we buried her.

It's not over Rob, not by far.

Your life is now just beginning.

Looking back to how I was before July 25, 2005, that existance of mine was not living.

Today, I am living, happy, joyous and free.

I will Pray for you, your new wife and the rest of your Family.

I hope your wife joins us in the Family Board.

We'd love to have her.

God Bless & Thank God . . . Just for Today,
Judy
:ghug2
Old 04-03-2008, 08:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You deserve recovery, and your program is a gift. I wish you luck, I spend a lot of time at the sober house in my town and those guys have some real fun. Don't be scared and pray, pray, pray.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:31 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You lost your Job, or you lost everything. Which is it? My job was my claim to fame. I was functional because I had a job. I could keep a job so therefore I was OK.
Too bad I was a failure at everything else. I failed as a Husband. I failed as a Father. I failed as a Friend, I failed as a Son, Brother, Neighbor etc... But, by God I had a job so life was OK and I was a Winner because I could keep it.
When it comes down to it, my Job and my ability to keep it wasn't worth a shiit in the big picture.
I now am a better Husband, Father, Friend, Neighbor, Son, Brother and so on. My job is just a job.
I know you probably feel like you let your family down because you lost your job and your income. I personally feel there's more to being a Dad than bringing home a paycheck. God willing, you will too.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:16 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

****{Rob}}}

EXACTLY what needed to happen ... has.

MRS. ROB -
nice to meet you!
maybe check out the 'friends and family' forums?
sign in - make up your own handle -
and we'll look forward to hearing from you, as well!
Old 04-04-2008, 05:29 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Just checking in to see how you are both doing this am!!!! Rob Praying for you and yours....keep strong hon!

Pamm
Old 04-04-2008, 01:25 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Rob -

You've got a great wife and a lot of hands here reaching out to help you. And a treatment program offering you the path to sobriety. You have not lost everything.

Keep taking the next step forward. You absolutely can do this. Surrender to sobriety.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:29 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
garden variety alcoholic

"You need to let go of the life you have in order to have the life that's waiting for you"

from ?????
Old 04-04-2008, 08:04 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

good luck

Rob:
I hope that you are okay.

Remember, a man with no shoes feals sorry for himselft until he meets a man with no feet.

If you have your health - you are in the game brother. but only if you surrender.

You can do it. I am praying for you Rob.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:25 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Although Rob may not be reading these, God is hearing Prayers.

So let's all remember to pray for one of our own.

Isn't that what SR is all about?

Love & Prayers to All,
Judy
:ghug
Old 04-05-2008, 09:34 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

Smile

Originally Posted by Gutterdrunk View Post
"You need to let go of the life you have in order to have the life that's waiting for you"

from ?????
REALLY COOL QUOTE

i read this entire thread as well great thread as I am pretty much in his shoes....but my own garden variety rock bottom.

My recovery has been a struggle.....and my ability to control my drinking is all but out of the window....and was a long time ago....yea I will only have 4 because otherwise it will be obvious to everyone turns into me getting plowed and always drinking more than I planned....usually to blackout....ugh

But life is well, and I am sure hoping Rob gets it, because like someone else said, a lot of people have lost to this disease.