Notices

Non 12-step programs

Old 03-30-2008, 01:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Non 12-step programs

I want to lead a non-12 step group in my own county but found this excerpt distribuing
"It's for those who like a do-it-yourself approach with very little structure."

That is not how I would lead the group. My group is much like more AA and it might have to meet daily to help the addicts. It is just that I use the SMART Recovery model but my little program is very structured program.

But the idea of daily meetings is that I embrace with from the AA model. The problem is none of the non-12 step ground use the AA model on the amounts of meetings.

The reality is that is that how SMART Recovery is running out of Orange County is not how how is run in other counties. SMART Recovery in the OC is be going to have a lot of more meetings than other SMART Recovery Groups. I am in the charge of the OC SMART Recovey meeting so we will use the AA models on meetings. It means that I have to devote my entire life to the group but it will make me sober. And that is the important thing.

My inspiration for recovery only comes from the fact that I am the only guy that brings non-12 step recovery face-to-face meeting to Orange County (and this is the real OC). My research has proven this point to true. Which puts a huge burden on me. It forces me to quit drinking because I am the man and the county needs me,

Ugh! Why do get this!
Old 03-30-2008, 01:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't find recovery a burden.

I'm sorry it seems that way to you.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have to say,

You post makes very little sense to me..

What exactly is it that you are trying to do? Start face to face meetings for SMART recovery in Orange County Ca? How many members do you have? Do you have a meeting place? Where do you generate funding?

I also do not see how you are using a non-12 step AA model - that doesn't make any sense. AA is 12 step.

Where is the "Real Orange County" anyhow? I work in Orange County California. Is this the same place?
Old 03-30-2008, 03:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

Yeah, what makes it the "real" OC?

If it is such a burden, simply don't do it.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It looks like SMART Recovery has a few bits of literature on how to start a meeting in your area. You might start with reviewing those materials (if you have - more power to you). Try checking out other groups in neighboring areas to see how they are run. Make contacts with the people there and become involved to get a better understanding on how to start and run a meeting. In the process, you might even make contact with others from OC that share the same desire to have a meeting closer to home.

The thing to remember with groups like AA and SMART is that they work for a reason. The best success will come from following their specific structure/guidelines rather than your own interpretation of how they should be run. Remember, it is our own methods that got us here in the first place.

Regardless of what you do - i wish you a long and happy recovery!
Old 03-30-2008, 05:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Crisco -

I agree with Sugarspun - your post doesn't make much sense to me. Your previous one didn't either. So I'm thinking that maybe you are very frustrated and having a hard time expressing yourself? Maybe?

My experience is that if you get sober for someone or something else other than yourself, you are at risk for not really making the internal changes that you will need to maintain your sobriety. It seems strange to me that you say your inspiration for recovery comes solely from the fact that you are the *only* person in all of OC that can bring the kind of program to OC that you think is needed. Really? The only person in all of OC? I'm going to call you on that one.

My best guess (and I'm sorry if I misread your post and this offends you) is that you are running scared from sobriety. That something in your life has happened to make it look more and more obvious that you need to find a way to get sober. And you're scared. And you are throwing just the slightest bit of a temper tantrum and talking about lots of other things (like what programs exist and work, etc) instead of talking about how you feel and how scared you are.

It's easier to be mad at the world and blaming than it is to be scared and humble and moving forward into sobriety.

I know that could sound harsh to you and to others reading this and I apologize. But I just don't think I can contribute anything good to your sobriety unless I tell you what I really think when I read your post.

Good luck to you and to getting sober. No matter how you do it.