Notices

Can anyone please help

Old 03-29-2008, 11:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can anyone please help

I'm new here and I don't know if I'm in the right place and I've never used a forum before so I'm sorry if I'm doing it wrong. I've just woken up after the most disasterous night and I feel so ashamed and I've got no one to talk to.

I was at a really important family party last night and I drank too much and had to leave early and I'm so worried that I've really hurt everyone's feelings.

I drank the best part of a bottle of wine before we (me and my boyfriend) went out to have dinner with my entire family (about 20 people). When we got to the restaurant I kept drinking until I could hardly see and I had to get my brother and his wife to take me home because I was afraid I was going to be sick there in the restaurant. I went home to bed and passed out. Now I've woken up and I can't stop thinking about how much I must have hurt my dad's feelings - it was his party to celebrate being well after major surgery last year. I can't remember what I said or if I was offensive to anyone.

This happens fairly regularly. I don't know if I should/ need to/ want to stop drinking.

I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense or if I've posted this in the wrong place. I just feel absolutely desperate.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

Welcome, i am glad you have come to the conclusion that you need some help. So many continue a less than fulfilling life because they refuse to admit that due to alcohol life has become unmanageable. Many of us can relate to the consequences of alcohol abuse, some of which are very severe. You cant change the past but you can shape your future. When the time is right you can apologize to your dad. He will be proud of you for facing this challenge. Congratulations
Old 03-29-2008, 11:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi Sweetie - welcome to SR!

You know, there's a wealth of information here, maybe settle in for some reading - go over to our Alcoholism forums and read the stickies at the tops of those forums. It can give you an idea of where you're at, mentally whatever - and most important - understand that here, you're not alone.

I can't determine for you if you've a problem,
but I'm here as well as lots of others to help YOU decide what you want to do next.
And hang out with you ... while you do it.

Again - welcome - hope you keep posting!
Old 03-30-2008, 12:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...you joined a very supportive site
and you posted correctly too!

Welcome....we do understand how embarrassing
events happen from drinking.
Those memory blanks are called Blackouts.
I have not had one since I quit drinking.

Glad you reached out
and hope you return.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Hang around awhile...check out some other posts. It does sound like alcohol is beginning to become a problem..if it isn't already one. Only you can change your behavior. For me, I knew I needed to cut back on my alcohol intake for awhile (due to similar circumstances like what you described). But in my heart--i really didn't want to stop drinking--not until alot later on...when things got really bad. i hope that doesn't happen to you. My take on this is:If you have to question whether or not drinking might be a problem for you, and are debating whether or not to cut back and/or stop entirely.....then i think you already know the answer.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

After reading Barbs posts i realized i have made assumptions. Feel free to disregard if it doesn't apply. Either way hope i can help
Old 03-30-2008, 01:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, and yes you are in the right place.
I was pretty clueless when i first came on here but everyones helpful.
Best wishes to you and hopefully the family will be fine.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you to all who replied - I really appreciate it. I feel really sick this morning and just to cap it all workmen started digging up the road outside my bedroom window at about 8am this morning! I'm going to wait a few hours then call my mum and dad to appologise. I think I also need to talk things over with my boyfriend - he's put up with nights like that too many times. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but it helps to know there are kind people here to talk to.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Hi Sweetie -

I doubt there's many on SR who DON"T know that feeling.

You're not alone. Just wanted you to know that.
And if you make the decision -
you never have to wake up feeling that way again.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hi

I undestand how you feel after drinking too much.

SR is a great place to help understand yourself and your relationship to alcholol.

Good Luck!
Old 03-30-2008, 05:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, there is nothing wrong or abnormal with your feelings or questions. Keep posting!
Old 03-30-2008, 05:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

. . .
Old 03-30-2008, 05:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Hi Sweetie,

It sounds like you've started asking some really difficult questions. And going to some emotional places that I avoided for a very long time. I think that takes courage and humility. And I applaud you for it.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

Welcome! Yup...I think it is pretty safe to say that many, if not all of us, have been there.

I think your Dad would be happy to hear you want to do something about your drinking.

I love waking up every morning feeling clean and sober, and no regrets for my behavior the night before. It is the best peaceful feeling of all.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

its good to be here

I know how you feel. I am new to this also.
Having gone out saturday night with a friend for a meal, we consumed around 3 bottles of wine. (not including the half bottle I had before I went out) My partner picked me up and I remember part of the drive home. I then passed out on the sofa. (so i'm told) was later woken and put to bed. During the night I woke to find myself throwing up, not just on myself and the carpet but all over my partner who was trying to direct me to the bathroom. What a disgrace
Why do we do it?? I have again swore that I never wish to feel like that again. I want to get back to some sort of normality but no longer know what that is.
Everyone on here seems so friendly so I'm going to stick around. Never been on a forum before so its all very new. Stick with it!
Old 03-31-2008, 04:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

as was already said, apologize to your dad/family when the time is right, and JUST FOR TODAY, DON'T DRINK. I've been off and on the wagon too many times this year but am determined to try again to live without drinking. keep coming back. there are a lot of loving supportive helpful people here. they've done me a world of good since I found this site. together we can stop drinking... just for today... one day at a time.:ghug3