Notices

A new start

Old 03-28-2008, 12:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A new start

Hello, I just wanted to introduce myself to the community. I've been browsing around these forums for a couple of weeks and have found solace and support just reading about the travails and successes of everyone.

About my alcoholism. I'm 28, I had my first drink five years ago and have been a drunk intermittently since this time. I have quit before for months at a time, but during the last six months the drinking has wholly conquered me and I have had something nearly every day, ranging from a few pints of beer to rather ridiculous beer binges. I have tried a couple of times during this period to quit, but have relapsed and with each time grown more frustrated and depressed with my own capabilities to live my life in the manner I would like to. Today I am attempting to quit again. After some bad news, Monday I started a binge that lasted through wednesday, and while usually im quite functional, i was forced to miss work, and for the first time in years took to whiskey. i stopped drinking that night, vowed to quit, but let the anxiety overcome me and had a few pints to settle my nerves yesterday.

I realize detox should be done with the help of a medical professional, but as ive already been on librium twice, i see the recommendation leading to a treatment facility which i wont commit to, foolish im sure. Nonetheless Ive got my bottles of water, camomile tea, and vitamins ready to go, and am just hoping for the best and this will be as unpleasant as possible.

Last edited by crocodilestreet; 03-28-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Please seek medical advice.........a woman in my recovery group died through the night after a 13 day binge.....her family found her dead in her bed this morning.

Seren
Old 03-28-2008, 12:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Croc, you will find tremendous support here.:ghug3
Old 03-28-2008, 12:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Seren, That is awful! I am so sorry.
Suzette
Old 03-28-2008, 12:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

Becareful detoxing. Welcome to the forum.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
TheShyGirl (sex blogger)

Originally Posted by crocodilestreet View Post
Hello, I just wanted myself to the community. I've been browsing around these forums for a couple of weeks and have found solace and support just reading about the travails and successes of everyone.

About my alcoholism. I'm 28, I had my first drink five years ago and have been a drunk intermittently since this time. I have quit before for months at a time, but during the last six months the drinking has wholly conquered me and I have had something nearly every day, ranging from a few pints of beer to rather ridiculous beer binges. I have tried a couple of times during this period to quit, but have relapsed and with each time grown more frustrated and depressed with my own capabilities to live my life in the manner I would like to. Today I am attempting to quit again. After some bad news, Monday I started a binge that lasted through wednesday, and while usually im quite functional, i was forced to miss work, and for the first time in years took to whiskey. i stopped drinking that night, vowed to quit, but let the anxiety overcome me and had a few pints to settle my nerves yesterday.

I realize detox should be done with the help of a medical professional, but as ive already been on librium twice, i see the recommendation leading to a treatment facility which i wont commit to, foolish im sure. Nonetheless Ive got my bottles of water, camomile tea, and vitamins ready to go, and am just hoping for the best and this will be as unpleasant as possible.
Whiskey is the mother of all evils. My grandmother was an alcoholic and drank whiskey chasers along with her beer - she was one of the nastiest people I ever met in my life (sorry to speak ill of the dead, but my memories of her were all bad).

When my husband drinks whiskey, he turns foul.

I urge you, no matter how bad it all gets, steer clear of this poison - it could certainly be the ruin of you.

Lecture over.

I'm new to this forum too - I quit drinking 18 months ago after trying and failing over and over again after 6-12 months at a time. The thing to remember is how much better you know you feel after a few months of abstinence and that life is easier to live when you're behaving in a normal manner like normal people.

The anxiety is the worse part. We drink because we're anxious only to become more anxious when we stop, then drink again to stop the anxiety.

Talk about downward spirals!

You sound pretty clued up, so you know already that this anxiety will pass. Focus on that for now.

The great thing is, in your case, you're just 28 years old and only began drinking 5 years ago, which means your body should fully recover in no time at all and you can just think of these last 5 years as a blip in your early adult life.

You've got your whole life ahead of you; how exciting is that and how wonderful to think you have the opportunity to make a real success of it. Too many of us go through our young years (by that, I mean 20 - 40) in a daze and miss out on so much.

I, for one, would love to be 28 again and re-live my life sober.

I sincerely hope you can remain level-headed at this very difficult time and keep focussed on the very real possibility of a truly successful life ahead of you.

Dunnit
TheShyGirl (Blog)
Old 03-28-2008, 01:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

....Welcome!

It really is a high risk decision to de tox alone.
I'm speaking about de tox...not a treatment center stay.

You may not have seen this link...please read

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

It is better to stay safe as you get sober.

Glad you are here with us....
Old 03-28-2008, 01:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

:ghugWelcome to SR! Please take the suggestions about gettting help for the detoxing.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sounds like your drinking has been getting to the point that you are concerned so you are definitely in the right place to find out more.

My question is this, once you are done detoxing how do you plan to stay sober. No need to answer, it is more for you to think about and seek advice about from the membership here.

Welcome to SR and I hope you continue to post.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome crocodilestreet

Pattern sounds very familiar. What is different this time than your previous attempts at quitting?