Notices

16 months and starting to slip back into depression

Old 03-27-2008, 07:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

16 months and starting to slip back into depression

Wondered if anyone could identify.

I'm an alcoholic, 16 months sober. I'm also pretty cross addicted, with problems with food, self-harm and sex.

I found my first 9 months of sobriety really tough, but once I started working through the steps with my sponsor I had a bit of respite. I'm on step 9 now, and I feel myself slipping back into deep depression.

I'm starting to struggle to get out of bed, wash, dress, clean the house and things. I'm beginning to isolate and I'm seeking comfort in old behaviours - I've relapsed with my eating disorder, after 7 months abstinent. I'm also starting to sleep around.

I don't know what to do - I'm working my way though my list and making ammends. I'm praying, doing service, reaching out to newcomers, getting to meetings and sharing.

I don't want to slip too far back. Anyone been through similar or understand how I feel?

I suppose I just need to accept that I'm right where I'm supposed to be, pray for patience and guidance and keep doing the right things?
Old 03-27-2008, 10:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Odaat

I'm so sorry you are feeling this way especially a you are doing all the things I'd do to
alleviate the feelings - meetings, stepwork, sponsor, praying about it, reaching out to newcomers, etc.

All I can say is that this too shall pass and if it does not then I would really recommend going to see a doctor? Anti-depressants have come along way these days,. maybe something in the interim from your doc could help you? I know that action is the best thing to do step up the meetings to deal with the isolating (I know it's HUGELY tempting as is the relapse into food I can really relate!) I know step 4 AND step 6 both made me feel quite depressed before I felt better it could be that step 9 )well done by the way_ is making you feel a bit down it is a HUGE thing to do! Keep prayijng odaat, it WILL pass the MOST IMPORTANT thing is don't pick up no matter what - and keep doing what you're doing you ARE on the right track! also lots of baths and being good to yourself helps - chocolate is not a bad substitute for alcohol!!! staying clean an dsober is the MOST important thing you can do every day!

Good luck!
cathy31
x
Old 03-27-2008, 10:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Odaat

I'm so sorry you are feeling this way especially a you are doing all the things I'd do to
alleviate the feelings - meetings, stepwork, sponsor, praying about it, reaching out to newcomers, etc.

All I can say is that this too shall pass and if it does not then I would really recommend going to see a doctor? Anti-depressants have come along way these days,. maybe something in the interim from your doc could help you? I know that action is the best thing to do step up the meetings to deal with the isolating (I know it's HUGELY tempting as is the relapse into food I can really relate!) I know step 4 AND step 6 both made me feel quite depressed before I felt better it could be that step 9 )well done by the way_ is making you feel a bit down it is a HUGE thing to do! Keep prayijng odaat, it WILL pass the MOST IMPORTANT thing is don't pick up no matter what - and keep doing what you're doing you ARE on the right track! also lots of baths and being good to yourself helps - chocolate is not a bad substitute for alcohol!!! staying clean an dsober is the MOST important thing you can do every day!

Good luck!
cathy31
x
Old 03-27-2008, 10:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I'm on antidepressants at the moment - been on them 5 months.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Working with others always gets me out of myself.....
Old 03-27-2008, 10:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I'm trying that, can't find enough people to work with though.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Odaat,

I'm glad to hear that you have so much sober time! Good for you!

It's too bad that you're working so hard at recovery and still feeling bad. Just a thought, but antidepressants can be tricky - maybe consider talking to your dr about trying a different med or a different dosage?
Old 03-27-2008, 04:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is only my opinion, but maybe slowing your progress on the steps may help, or working them over from the beginning.I often do them over and over, to see the differences over time is truly amazing.Being in a funk once in a while is normal, especially in recovery.I was at a point a few weeks ago where I convinced myself I was cured and no longer needed mtgs, Boy was I wrong.I love the fact that despite my negativity-I pressed on-got back on track-and saw the error of my ways beforeI picked up.I suppose maintaining sobriety isn't always fun to do, and the disease of it all slowly creeps back in such subtle ways.I am so glad I caught it, it was a new life changing experience.