Notices

Trying to bounce back...

Old 04-23-2008, 07:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to bounce back...

Hi there,

Just had to get this off my chest...

Feeling really nervous about starting threads now, partly because of relapsing and partly in case I get things muddled up and offend anyone unintentionally, by mistake (anyone else ever feel like that?)

Just wanted to say sorry if I've said anything wrong in the past, and that I do love all you dear SR members out there. I've had more sober days than hungover days since joining SR and I love you all.

Not been doing well recently with my drinking, but trying to bounce back - think I know what I have to do, but I've definitely got to learn more humility and try to close the gap between "knowing" what to do and actually "doing" it...

Love you all :ghug3

PB
Old 04-23-2008, 07:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"Feeling really nervous about starting threads now, partly because of relapsing and partly in case I get things muddled up and offend anyone unintentionally, by mistake (anyone else ever feel like that?)"

Yep. But that's why we're posting in the newcomer's section, I think we get to graduate to some of the other boards when we've managed to maintain long(er) periods of sobriety. I'd say you're safe here posting just about anything as long as it's honest and not intended to offend anyone.

"I've had more sober days than hungover days since joining SR and I love you all."

Amen, as have I. I think this means we're making progress. I think SR is a great tool to help us stay sober but I also think some of us who continue to relapse need more help like from AA or some other group that requires us to leave the house and actually interact with people in similar situations. Just my humble opinion. I do wish you the best of luck!!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

THere's no shame in trying. THe shame comes in NOT trying. You know what to do, now just start again and do it!:ghug3
Old 04-23-2008, 07:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Paddington,

Never give up, that's the main thing.

I'm so glad you are still here, reading and posting. You can do this!
Old 04-23-2008, 08:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

PB one key to getting sober and staying sober is being willing to go to any lengths to get and stay sober.

When we set limits on what we are willing to do to get and stay sober we are basically saying I would rather stay drunk then do what it takes.

We need to sit down and examine exactly what we were doing to stay sober this time and if we did nothing that was wrong then we need to add something else to what we were doing to stay sober.

If we were not working a program and simply not drinking then we need to see that we need to try a program if we REALLY want to stay sober.

If we were working a program we need to look at how we were working the program! Were we only working the parts of the program we wanted to and not the parts we didn't want to?

If we were working a program and working all parts of the program to the best of our ability then we need to look at another program and work it in its entirety.

Half measures availed us nothing!
Never ever give up, but do not keep trying the same thing over and over again expecting different results!

If you stick your finger in a hot flame and it burns you are you going to stick your finger in it again to see if it won't burn you this time? Of course not, that would be insane! Would you not agree that trying to quit the exact same way you failed before would be insane.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
where the light is

Keep moving forward!

This is a learning process and many, including me, have had false starts before finding their recovery path. Keep starting new threads, keep asking questions & sharing...keep helping others. It's how we get strong.

"learn more humility and try to close the gap between "knowing" what to do and actually "doing" it" - I'm over four months sober and I'm still working on that one ! Learning what's right for me and actually doing it. Can only do our best. Getting there!
Old 04-23-2008, 09:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by least View Post
THere's no shame in trying. THe shame comes in NOT trying. You know what to do, now just start again and do it!:ghug3
I got nuthin' more to add to that! Just glad you keep coming back PB! Don't leave until the miracle happens, OK?
Old 04-23-2008, 09:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Yup PaddingtonBear... what they all said. Keep trying! You haven't offended me fwiw.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Paddington - I came here almost 9 months ago and only the past 3 have I been sober. I had many false starts but this time I feel different, partly because I allowed myself to get past a certain point. I was expecting too much, too soon - I wasn't one of the fortunate ones who feel ecstatic right out of the gate, so I kept thinking, "If this is as good as I'm ever going to feel, pour me a drink..." Learning to live again without our anesthesia is a huge challenge. I'm looking forward to my first sober summer in ages - I plan to actually PARTICIPATE & not just be on the sidelines, beer in hand - hoping there's a ladie's room nearby.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

PaddingtonBear......Hugs for you today... Keep coming back and don't worry about affending anyone... We are all here for the same reason or another. You are doing what you need to stay in your program ..Whatever that may be... Smile and know that you have friends here that truely care.............................

Little Penguin
Old 04-23-2008, 05:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You've never offended me if that helps!

I look at SR as a forum and we will never agree 100% with everyone here. By continuing to share your experience, strength and hope you will always be a part of the solution to our mutual problem. You also continue to work on your sobriety by sharing your experience and listening to feedback, even after relapsing. That humble action speaks for itself.

Keep posting!