Notices

What does it mean to have a sponsor?

Old 03-26-2008, 03:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question What does it mean to have a sponsor?

Hello everyone,

I just wondered, what does it mean to have a sponsor? I've heard the phrase a few times, but I wasn't sure what it means. Sorry to ask silly questions - I'm very new to recovery. Please excuse my ignorance!

Thank you!
Paddington

:praying
Old 03-26-2008, 04:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

HI!

A sponsor is someone who has worked the 12 Steps of AA, and is there to help you stay sober, and work the Steps.

My sponsor likes to tell me that she's not a bank, nor a family therapist. She's there to guide me through working the Steps.

Does this mean that you are thinking bout finding one? That's great news!

Karen
Old 03-26-2008, 06:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Paddington - there are no silly questions! I didn't know what a sponsor was either, and was too scared to ask. Finally, I did.
If you are at an AA meeting, check the literature rack. There should be a pamphlet 'Questions and answers on Sponsorship' - you may even find it online. You'll find a lot of your questions answered there.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

In AA a sponsors primary purpose is to help someone work the steps, they are also your go to person for a lot of things, a good one will share with you what they have done to stay sober, they will point you in the proper directions for other things that are not alcohol or step related. Like if you have a legal issue they will point you to a lawyer, mental health to a shrink, financial problems an accountant.

The main thing a sponsor is for is to help one work the steps and to help one stay sober with thier ESH.

They do not have to be a friend, they should be some one that has worked the 12 steps of AA according to the BB with a sponsor and should have a sponsor as well, they should also be the type of person who has what you would like to have. They should not only talk the talk of the steps, but live them as well.