Notices

A little over a week

Old 03-25-2008, 08:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A little over a week

Hello All,

I posted a few days ago about my embarrassing behavior at my st patrick's day wedding.

Just a few questions. I haven't had a drink since then. I have a lot of times that I'll go a week or more without the self medicating but haven't paid a whole lot of attention to how I'm feeling. I just don't really feel like drinking those times.

This time I find myself unbelievably anxious. I am also having horrible visualizations of bad things happening to me or my loved ones. These on occasion send me close to panic mode.

Anyway, is this normal after a week or is it some other demon haunting me?

Thanks,
M
Old 03-25-2008, 08:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi,

In a word, yes! Alcohol disrupts sleep and thought patters in various degrees, depending on the person. Some people feel this way the day they stop drinking, for others, it can take weeks or months.

Try & remember, whatever it is haunting you, drinking will not make it better, it will be right there waiting for you when you come back.

A week is good! Congrats!
S
Old 03-25-2008, 09:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

I don't know. My thoughts sure do wander a bit. I can usually control them or atleast just acknowledge them as thoughts. Sometimes I think of horrible things that could happen to my family. I wonder to myself: why in the hell am I thinking of such horrible things? Just because I think about some crazy stuff sometimes does not mean that it is going to happen. I can only control myself. Get out of your head if its bothering you.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Meat here is a question to ask your slef and the answer may be what you are seeking.

When these thoughts pop up, does it seem like drinking may be a good solution for them?

If the answer is yes then the worse thing you could possibly do is drink over them, it will not make these thoughts any better in the long run.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am not really craving a drink. Just an observation of my general state.

My cravings usually stem around happy occasions or rewards.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Such thoughts and feelings are entirely normal for anyone in very early sobriety.

Don't give up...and congrats on yur efforts and success thus far!

Love,

IO