Notices

The show must go on

Old 03-23-2008, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

The show must go on

SR Members,

It has been an interesting past 4 months or so, with 28 days at Father Martin's Ashley in Maryland & 3 months living in a halfway house in Florida. Well, its time for me to head back to Baltimore and the Delaware region to clean up my messes. I'm going home on Monday (can't wait to see my family and dogs) and then to college on Tuesday to register for classes so I can graduate. This means I will be leaving the comfort of the recovery community in Florida. I've been looking for meetings back home, hopefully I can get to one the night I get back. Gonna have to find a place to live too. This will be the most challenging part of my recovery, no doubt. All my friends and family are hardcore drinkers. I suppose I'm looking for suggestions and support. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good Luck!
Old 03-23-2008, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It may pose some problems that your family and friends are drinkers. Maybe more socializing with them in places where drinking is not allowed. Maybe not seeing them as much for a while til you feel you trust yourself. I know it's good policy to distance yourself from your old "drinking buddies" but that's not always possible. I believe you can do this, just take it one day at a time and try to keep from triggering places or situations. Going back to college will also keep you pretty busy and that may help. Also having a goal (graduating) may strengthen your will when it comes to drinking. Best of luck to you on your journey back into "real life".:ghug
Old 03-23-2008, 12:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We are all proud of you for all your hard work on your recovery, and you should be proud of yourself as well. When you get home just stay strong and use that strength to stay sober. Easier said than done I know, but I know that you can do it!
Old 03-23-2008, 12:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Baltimore has oodles of meetings
so get busy finding them.....

You might ask AA members where
to find a place to live. I know
many members who have extra rooms
to rent for sober people.
Some groups have bulltin boards with info.

You really have worked hard for your new life
Keeep in focus as you continue to move forward.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done, Reed. You've got a good foundation in place. Absolutely get to a meeting on your first night back and get some phone numbers. Start working hard at building a good recovery circle in Baltimore, and get a sponsor if you haven't already.
My family continue to be my biggest trigger - they live nearby and I have had to distance myself from them to stay safe. This hasn't always been the case, but I'm learning when it's safe to be with them - and when it's not.
You'll be busy with school and meetings when you get home - but please don't forget about us here. We do care what happens and wish to see you succeed in your new sober life.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Best of luck Reed.
As far as those hard core users back home, thats your call, for me it would be way to difficult.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hope it all goes well for you reed, stay strong.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Reed,

It sounds lke you've done really well and it's just great that you're moving on to college. You'll be challenged, but keep focusing on your recovery and you'll be fine.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

Thanks all,

One more semester left starting in the fall & 2 classes during the summer (bout time, I should be a Doctor by the time a graduate a good 7 year run). I will continue to use this forum as a recovery tool when I get home. I'll be at my Dad's house on Monday night, laying low and probably cruising the boards. Thanks for the encouragement and support as always, cya round here....

reed
Old 03-23-2008, 07:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober