Notices

new member recovering from adderall addiction

Old 03-16-2008, 12:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new member recovering from adderall addiction

i wanted to introduce myself, name is robert and i have been taking on average 80 mg of adderall each day for six years. This is usually split up into three doses - two of them containing 30mg each and one in evening at 20mg. I take no other meds, drink little alcohol and have never smoked a cigarette but even if my doctor says under these conditions im ok id rather try getting off the meds. i now have gone five days cold turkey and it has been brutal but i am hoping it gets better and soon. my temptation to go back to the doctor on monday is very strong and i am curious to hear stories of other people who am or have gone through this process. When will the craving go away and my energy return? anything you share would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-16-2008, 03:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am not familiar with adderall. My 21 yo son was just placed on 20 mg extended release, the change in him is phenomenal. He's been struggling throught college (now on the 5 year plan) and now his concentration and grades have improved greatly. He is no longer dower and depressed--almost, dare I say, happy?--not manic, hyper, etc.

What does adderall do to you and why would you feel the need to increase it. We are aware of it's side effects (hypertension, wt. loss).

Myself being a recovering alcoholic (son very aware--recovery began about 4 years ago) I don't think my son will exceed the recommended dose. Still, what is it about the drug that does cause someone to increase it?

jane
Old 03-16-2008, 05:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, rt. don't have any experience to share with you on adderall. my daughter suffers from cocaine/alcohol addiction. but i just wanted to welcome you!

keep posting, k
Old 03-16-2008, 10:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Robert, welcome!

I have a friend who is weening off adderall. She is doing it with the help and guidance of her doctor.

Perhaps you should ask your doctor these q's, and get good, sound medical advice.

Hope you're feeling better soon.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks for the replies, adderall truly has helped me and I may find it real hard to focus if I am off it permanently but I do feel it is crucial to occasionaly take breaks from it so that the dosage is kept within a safe range, Jane my doctor initially prescribed 80 mg for me which I think is a little high so i at least would like to go to a lower dosage. The first year I was on it the medication worked the best but the downside to it is the longer I have been on it the less effect it has had on me. HOWEVER i have ocassionaly taken breaks from the medicine for a few days to a week and have learned that after doing this the effects are much more positive like they were in the initial year. The days off the medication are hard and im scatterbrained and lethargic but I truly believe in the end it is worth it. Otherwise I would be unable to keep the dosage below 80mg like I was prescribed. When i asked my doctor what the average dose was he said with adderall there is no sure answer because it is based on weight and other factors. For some it is as little as 10mg and for others as high as 120 mg. I think average is in the 20-60 range which is what I would like to be at if continuing the medication.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR RT. I was on aderall when I was younger for concentration, but it was much lower dose than 80mg. I had no trouble coming off of it so I don't have much info, but welcome anyway!
Old 03-16-2008, 04:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What does adderall do to you???
Old 03-16-2008, 04:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

oops! and welcome to SR!!! You make a great addition!!!
Old 03-16-2008, 04:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

I used to abuse adderall and ritalin on a regular basis in highschool. I used to snort it and eat it like candies. Had no problem getting it for free either. This stuff is over perscribed and it can't be good for your heart (smoking cigs like a mad man on this stuff). It calmed me down, got me high & I would read, write, do homework, video games, engage in long conversations etc. while on it.Used to make me depressed sometimes. In college I used it for all nighters and to rage on drinking binges/function next day. I could party all night (drink like a sailor), sell em for 7 bucks @ 10mgs. I really liked this stuff, never got hooked to it though. Anyways, best of it quiting it, surely its bad for your heart. Welcome to the forum.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Adderall addict

I've been taking adderall for 5 years...I am not sure how much I take on a daily basis bc I lose count...I decided last week to get off the stuff...I knew it was a problem 3 yrs ago. I'm finally facing the reality of what I have become due to adderall. I've lost myself...I ask myself all the time if I would have spent this much money, dated this guy, made the same mistake a dozen times, lose my temper (especially when I drink on adderall); accomplish errands, get through the workday, get through a day off work, etc...the list goes on and on, if I wasn't taking adderall. I used to make round trips of 3 hrs to buy adderall. It has killed me financially...I get paranoid and anxious when I am running low, thinking what my next step will be...I lie to people I buy it from, telling them I need it to do this or that....lately I've been thinking of ways to collect the most adderall at one time. There are times that I've taken too much of it and can't breathe, my body tightens up everywhere, antisocialness, etc....I'm giving it up...Please help if you have related to anything similar....
Old 03-17-2008, 01:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks RTHILL1900. I was afraid everyone would be made at me for inquiring about the positive effects of a drug. I feel better knowing that my son is not on some huge dose. He is very aware of my previous alcohol addiction and all that I went through to regain myself. (He was the most upset of all my kids--4--when I disclosed my problem so I'm somewhat confident he will abide by the instructions.)

Good luck in your quest and thank you again for your input. Very helpful.

jane
Old 12-19-2010, 05:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I noticed you posted this awhile ago. When I read it, it felt like I wrote it myself. Just wondering if u are still on here and how u are doing.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not sure which member you're referring to Nicole, but a few of them still pass by from time to time - maybe they'll see this thread

welcome to you

D