Notices

Drinking is Just Not an Option Anymore

Old 03-15-2008, 03:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
where the light is

Drinking is Just Not an Option Anymore

This morning, my 6 year old boy broke his leg at hockey practice. The coaches & other hockey parents helped me comfort him & get us into the truck. We went straight to the hospital. He was so scared and in so much pain. While he was screaming & crying, I held him close to my chest. The exact words that came to my mind were: “f**k, I am so grateful that I am sober.” I went to an AA meeting this afternoon and thanked everyone for keeping me strong so that I could be there when I was needed the most. I want to thank everyone on SR as well – on behalf of my son & myself.

The break is not the worst kind. It did not need to be re-set (thank God). I carried him out of the hospital the same way I carried him when he was a baby – one arm under his bum, his head on my shoulder – he was singing in my ear. So, right now he is sitting in Dad’s favorite chair, watching cartoons, playing his PSP – just being himself. Acceptance. He is doing a better job at accepting life on life’s terms than Dad is right now.

90 days sober today. I will never again question why I quit drinking.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
pi2

AWESOME Gravity!!! I wish you the best and hope that your son feels better soon!!! You should be real proud of yourself as well as having such a loving and trusting son...
Old 03-15-2008, 03:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Another regrette that never came to your life.

Broken bones and sports can go together.

Sober dads and sons will always go together.
Sure is a good life being a sober dad, even when things happen.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I am so happy for you that you are able to be there for your family. Great job on 90 days that is awesome keep up the great work.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

(((gravity))) I know that feeling and the flood of gratitude of being sane and sober.

Kevin
Old 03-15-2008, 04:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

what a awesome reason to be sober to be there for your little bloke all the best :0)
Ang
Old 03-15-2008, 04:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

...actions of a good father...
Old 03-15-2008, 04:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
where the light is

A Better Day

Old 03-15-2008, 04:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a great story!

My kids are much older than yours, but they still have their share of ups and downs. And, every single time, that I've been 'present' when I was needed, I have been grateful beyond words.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Gravity, well wishes to your son...kids heal fast...he will be skating again in no time! Your strength resonates...like your sons leg will heal so will your heart. Congrats on 90 days...
Old 03-15-2008, 11:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's beautiful Gravity. Thank you.

About "A better day". Well, obviously your son went through pain and would have been better off without a broken bone duh. But... When I was 5 I broke my arm in two places at a playground. I remember howling in pain, watching my arm jutting out in a strange angle. I also vividly remember my old man charging to the rescue and making it all right, holding on to him and looking at his brave face until the docs knocked me unconscious so that they could hammer my arm back into place. I have trusted my father ever since.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I am so very glad you could be the Dad
your brave son deserves.

Forward we go...side by side
Old 03-16-2008, 12:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

D- thanks for that reminder! And you know exactly what I mean. Thanks Buddy!
Old 03-16-2008, 06:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

Wow, thanks for sharing gravity - that's awesome, I'm glad you could be there for your boy.

Congrats on the 90 Days - me too, mate it's been a wild 3 months but I want to thank you for helping me get through it, especially in the early days.

Fantastic news, must've been scary but I'm glad everything's ok!
Old 03-16-2008, 06:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
where the light is

I woke up this morning to the sound of my little girl & little boy laughing. My heart still breaks when I see my boy sitting there, leg fully bandaged (temporary cast), smiling (most of the time anyway ), playing his games. My little prince. We have a bit of a challenge ahead of us but we are up to it!

Way back when he was still in mom's tummy, the doctors were concerned about him based on the ultrasound pictures. They were discussing some pretty scary possibilities, I wasnt sure how things would turn out. How I prayed. The exact moment he was born, his first cry to the moment the doctor put him in my arms, holding him tight, staring into each other's eyes. The best minute in my life.

He is a healthy, kind, smart little boy today. The biggest smile! My prayers answered.

I know that this is part of being Dad (and I wouldn't trade being Dad for anything), I know that there are more tough days to come, and I know other parents have bigger challenges (God bless you & please give you strength). But the immeasurable love & joy they bring into my life - it's all so worth it. In reading my original post, I noted that my boy was singing to me when I was carrying him out of the hospital. When he was smaller, I used to sing to him to comfort him. I think he was telling me that everything is going to be okay.

Thank you for your posts, your support. I read them over & over yesterday to help get through the day. Maybe I only know you through your words but it's enough. God bless. D