Notices

Just wanted to vent

Old 03-15-2008, 09:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Just wanted to vent

The good news is I am not wanting to drink, it has been 22 days and the fog has lifted and gone for the most part.
The bad news is my pain is off the charts. I have rhumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia, diagnosed in 2005. I take vicoden and etodalac for pain, but my perscribed dosage does not seem to be working anymore. I think while I was drinking the alcohol vicoden mix kept me numb.
I just want to put it out there to all of you that I will not drink today no matter how intense the pain gets, nor will I take more vicoden than perscribed.
I dont want to sound like a whiney baby, but here goes. I used to be so active; into body building, mountain biking, strenuous hiking etc. I now have doctors telling me that I should be stretching and taking strolls around the park. It's not that I mind these activities, but my mind is telling me to go for the gusto. It is just my body that is not cooperating.
Thanks for listening.
Lv you guys,
TM
Old 03-15-2008, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love the good news that you do not want to drink.

I have a disk issue myself. Cannot do the things I used to do. Dang it. Could ask your doctor about a different pain treatment. Just an idea.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Hey Toomutch,

Like 1963 Comet said, maybe talk to your doctor and explain how you were drinking before. The combination of alcohol with many pain medications increases their potentcy.

Great job on your 22 Days!
Old 03-15-2008, 10:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey TM

Sorry to hear about your pain. Is it possible that withdrawal is magnifying it?

Don't know your age, but you seem in the prime. Frustrating it must be. At age 60, I hurt a lot, but can still hike up mountains. I hope this summer to improve on that.

Yoga, biking, swimming (if possible) may be low impact alternatives. What I wouldn't give to do laps in a pool every day!

On the other hand, just being alive is OK. Look at Stephen Hawking. He's had ALS forever. Last year he went into space!

For me, recovery at this stage is pretty much a single focus thing. Along with "taking care of business" in real life.

The other stuff will come in time. All the ways I wish to grow and improve. In order to do that I must be whole. So must you.

Peace to you,

warren
Old 03-15-2008, 10:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry about the pain TM, I hope it gets better. Good job not drinking and thanks for letting us know how you are doing.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would honestly see if you can get a referral to a pain clinic. Discussing with them honestly about your recovery and your pain. Pain clinics have many different ways of treating pain because they only treat pain.

You are on an amazing road to recovery, congratulations.

One Day at a Time.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If I talk to the doctors about my alcoholism, I am afraid they will take me off the vicoden, knowing that I was drinking on it in the first place.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I understand.

Many doctors know so little about addiction and alcoholism.

I'm sure that you can get some great advice here.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 03-15-2008, 12:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Toomutch. Just want to let you know that I can relate with chronic pain. I have arthritis and Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. I use to be on prescription drugs until they took them off the market. I don't trust the drug companies any more so I just take Tylenol arthritis now. Some days are really bad and I don't always make it to meetings and when i do i sometimes have to take a pillow with me.

I don't have any advice for you really except talking to your Dr. I glad you didn't drink. It's definitely not worth it. My chronic pain is what got me drinking everyday and feeling sorry for myself. There's other people on this forum that have chronic pain and they helped me to see that you can get and stay sober. Best of luck to you.

Barb
Old 03-15-2008, 12:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi toomuch its great that you wont be drinking today *way to go*
I have really bad kness whih keep me awake and you said something interesting. I havent gone to the doctor yet but when I drank ( even tho theres no way its a good idea!) when I got intoxicated I forgot about the pain! Im off to reahab next week then Im going to the doctor enough for me being a dummy and not getting antyhing done and making excuses to drink!!
All the best for you hope your pain settles down its not much fun is it
Ang
Old 03-15-2008, 01:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You are definitely not a whiner Toomutch, sorry about your pain but congrats on the 22 days, best wishes.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Good onya for hanging in there
Old 03-15-2008, 02:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi TM, My Mom suffers from RA and deals with pain also. My heart goes out to you. I was on vacation when I stopped by a store in South Carolina, The Carolina Cider company. The lady behind the counter was making small talk when she mentioned that people from all over use their Black Bing Cherry Juice and it helps with RA pain. Apparently there's something in the black bing cherry that neutralizes an enzyme in the blood that causes the swelling with RA. She said that folks drink 8 ozs. right before bed and don't eat or drink anything on top of it. I bought some for my Mom and it helped alot at first but her DR. told her not to take it anymore because it messes with her blood count. They'd much rather medicate her with mexatrexate (sp).....ggrrrhh. That's another topic.

There's a website, place is called The Carolina Cider Company, if you want to try it just remember to use the juice not the cider. The lady said the cider has suger additives that render the bing berry benefits useless and the juice is 100% natural no additives. The cost would be about $1 per day if you drink 8 ozs. kind of expensive I guess but if it works, alot cheaper than meds.

Good Luck and God's Peace
Old 03-15-2008, 03:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
mle-sober

And certainly cheaper than booze! Hey, TM, I'm sorry you're in so much pain. My sisiter and mother both have fibromyalgia and it is really hard for them. They've both found certain food that aggravate it. They are additives in foods we buy all the time and don't even think about all the extra things that go into them. For my mom, she can't eat anything with Xanthan Gum in it - it's an all kinds of sauces, dressings, etc. I don't remember what it is for my sister but know she eats only all organic stuff - now that would get expensive for me! Anyway, good luck. Good job not using this as an excuse to drink. I liked the recommendation of trying to get an appointment at a pain center. They could deal with you being in recovery without taking away your meds.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What began as a very bleak day due to the pain was turned around thanks to the support I recieve here from everyone. I will never tire of thanking all of you.

353, I will try that black bing cherry juice, not only might it work for me, but I love bing cherries. I will let you know how that goes.

Mle, I know that refined sugars and preservatives worsen my conditions. I do try and eat organic and avoid to much refined sugar. It has been hard not eating sugar since I began recovery because I crave it all the time now.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My husband bought me some sugar free black bing cherry juice at the whole foods store this morning. I am drinking it now and it tastes dang good.

Last edited by Toomutch; 03-16-2008 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Sp.Issues- Big time