SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   addicted to comet cleanser (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/145939-addicted-comet-cleanser.html)

kblack3 10-27-2009 09:58 PM

I just wanted you all to know that I've made a doctors appointment for this coming thursday and I'm really nervous but glad at the same time to know that I'm finally going to come clean with a doctor and to know that I'll be getting some help, because it's gotten way out of control. My mother is going with me, so I won't be alone. I just wanted to say thank you for all the never ending support that was shown to me and had it not been for you guys, I don't think that I'd be going to the doctor, so don't stop showing your support. Thanks!

Dee74 10-27-2009 10:26 PM

I'm really glad to hear you're seeing a Dr, K.
Thanks for letting us know :)

Best wishes,
D

Tazman53 10-28-2009 03:54 AM

kblack3 when you see the doctor mention pica, this is an eating disorder and comet cleanser is among the things mentioned in this disorder.

littlefish 10-28-2009 04:03 AM

Excellent idea to talk to a doctor. I'll never forget the feeling of relief when I talked to my doctor about alcoholism. It was like a huge burdon was lifted from my shoulders. I didn't feel so alone anymore.
Let us know how it goes with the doc. We are rooting for you!

kblack3 10-29-2009 11:11 PM

I DID IT!!! I can't tell you how much better I feel, I will admit that I was really nervous and I started feel ashamed, but before I could even think of giving it a second thought, I blurted out, well there is something that I really need to talk to you about and I've never spoken to a doctor about this before I'm nervous and ashamed, and so he sat down and allowed me to continue.

So I asked him if he'd ever heard about pica and he said he had and he said that he's heard a wide range of things that people will ingest and he asked me about what I ingested and I told him and he was very kind and made me feel totally at ease. Long story short he said that I shouldn't feel as though I'm the only one or that I'm crazy and so forth.

He sent me to the lab and they drew lots of blood because he wants to see if I have any poisoning and he wants to see what vitamins my body may be lacking and he wrote me a prescription to help with this disorder and he said that he wants me to go and speak to someone, I feel a thousand times better and I wasn't alone, I had the support of my mom and two of my three kids. Hubby couldn't make it, and my other child had school. Thanks again for all of your support...

Dee74 10-29-2009 11:16 PM

I'm *so* glad you went kblack :)

Last time you were here, you were a little worried about your alcohol intake - has that settled down for you?

D

kblack3 10-29-2009 11:41 PM

To answer your question, yes I have slowed way down on my alcohol intake, on account of I threw a family gathering at my house and ended up making a fool of myself, that was labor day weekend and I haven't had any hard liquor since then, only wine in moderation. It's hard sometimes, I won't lie, but I hated hearing from different family members a few days after how I acted and the things that came out of my mouth..I'm a work in progress...

Dee74 10-29-2009 11:55 PM

we all are, really :)

Didn't mean to put you on the spot - SR's always here if you get worried about it again :)

D

Lytebryte 12-27-2014 01:51 AM

You're not alone

Originally Posted by kblack3 (Post 1706261)
I'm addicted to eating and sniffing comet cleanser and I've struggled with this problem on and off for over 18 years. It's because I lack iron and so when I take my iron tablets, I don't have the craving for comet. I know that this problem has got to have some serious side affects and I wonder sometimes if it'll kill me one day.

Tell me I'm not the only one with this problem...

:c029:
YOU'RE NOT ALONE!. I just came across chair post, and had to reach out to you. With hope that maybe we can help each other over come this struggle. I know this post was years ago. But I'm still hoping that you will see this post and reply even if it's just to tell me if you have over come the struggle. And if so please give me some pointers. Because we are so much alike in this battle field. Lol And I think it is amazing that you had the strength to post this on here. Because to see that there's somebody else in the world that is addicted to Comet just like me is a sigh of relief. I've been afraid for years of what others would think. I haven't spoken with my doctor about it yet. But I'm considering because I don't want to die.. I've been all alone and I want to over come this but I can't take my iron pills.. They make me so sick.. I eat ice all day every day. I think the ice is a much worse addiction. But I do eat a hand full of Comet if not everyday, every other day.

chicory 12-27-2014 03:37 AM

Hello and Welcome Lytebryte.

I read through these pages, and if you did as well, you can see that she finally spoke to her doctor and found great relief in that. I hope she is doing well too.

I am glad you posted. I hope you will see how important it is to speak to your doctor about this. No shame in it, as many others have done so, but it truly is dangerous.

Do you think you can make an appointment to talk to your doctor? Seems that would be the most important step of all.

Hugs,
Chicory

Dee74 12-27-2014 06:15 AM

Hi and welcome lytebryte :)

I agree with Chicory that speaking with your Dr may be a good start here...and there is of course a lot of support here....

we may not share the specifics of your addiction but I think the generalities of addiction are the same :)

D

wpainterw 12-27-2014 06:31 AM

Kickback 3 wrote: " he then tells my mom that he didn't see the harm in it and that it was okay for me to have some every now and again. My mom wasn't too happy about that,"
I think changing doctors was an excellent move. As I've said in a number of posts, there are doctors and then....there are doctors.... Say no more!

W.

Lytebryte 12-27-2014 04:03 PM

I made an appointment..

I've made an urgent care appointment. So I will see what happens on Monday. I watched the tv show Strange Addictions. And I saw a lady on there that is addicted to Comet as well. I'm trying to get the courage to throw away all the Comet in the house... But I clean with it a lot so I think I'll have to change my household cleaning supply's.. 😩:c004:

oak 12-27-2014 05:26 PM

Talk to your doctor about different iron pills. I tried ferrous sulfate and had terrible side effects. I get very few side effects from iron bisglycinate. There are other options for iron too. Find what works best for you.

I'm glad you made an urgent care appointment.

soberclover 12-27-2014 05:31 PM

I like your idea of getting rid of the Comet. For me and my sobriety it was truly necessary to get rid of all of the alcohol as well as anything connected to the use of alcohol out of my house. I, too, became really honest with my doctor and found that helpful. I'm glad you have an appointment.

BirdsAteMyFace 12-27-2014 06:01 PM

I saw a woman on TV who did the same thing. I think what finally helped her was talk therapy. Maybe that's something you could look into? It can't be good for you, as Comet is chlorine based (I think). At any rate, I wish you luck and peace.

Lytebryte 12-28-2014 06:55 PM

Great job

Originally Posted by kblack3 (Post 1724085)
Well I'm somewhat proud of myself. Yesterday I went grocery shopping and because I have an addiction to comet cleanser, the laundry detergent aisle is my favorite aisle in the store because that's where the comet cleanser is, well I managed to only go down that aisle without getting a couple of cans, I only went for the laundry detergent.

Even if I have a couple of cans of comet at home, I'll still buy more when I go to the store, for fear I run out. It didn't even dawn on me that I had done that until I was being checked out. I went to two different grocery stores and didn't buy a single can of comet. Hooray for me! Well just thought I'd share my little victory...

great job!! 👌👌:c011:

Buggirl 12-28-2014 10:07 PM

I too had Picas some years ago and I now take iron tablets every day and it has gone! You need to take your tablets all the time and it eventually builds up in your system and you don't do any odd things after a while!

starsnskies 12-28-2014 10:24 PM

Done_With_It - Nice to know another Hollywood SR person. :)

Briar 12-28-2014 10:35 PM

You're not the only one. I saw this on a show a few years ago, check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvEFXPJ25p8

You should talk to a doctor. An experienced doctor won't be startled by something like this, and the confidentiality rules are very strict. Wishing you the best!