Notices

addicted to comet cleanser

Old 07-03-2008, 10:40 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

It's good to see you again, kblack. Have you seen a doctor yet?
Old 07-05-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

No I haven't seen a doctor yet, I came close, but I cancelled.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:13 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hope you try again - you can do this, but it sounds like you need help.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:51 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Pica, Iron, and Comet

Please go to a doctor immediately. It sounds like you need to also see a therapist, who could help you with cognitive therapy to recognize when you crave Comet the most. You say you have a hard time remembering to take your iron, what if when you crave the Comet, you take an iron pill before you go for the Comet? Even if you still wind up eating Comet, you will have taken your iron.

I was addicted to Altoids Smalls for 2 years, 2-3 packs a day. I eventually found out I was getting close to anemic, and started taking iron. Within two or three weeks I lost all of my Altoid cravings. I didn't realize they were related until just recently, and that I had pica.

A doctor can help you with the best kind of iron to take, and in the right way. A therapist can help you address why you go for Comet when you are stressed or sad.

Maybe you went already. I really hope so!
Old 02-05-2009, 08:29 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, I know it's been a while since my last post. I think the last time I posted, I was telling you all how I had went home for a visit and how I didn't have a craving for comet. Well a lot of things have changed since then. I ended up moving back home and I regret it and want to go back to AZ so bad.

I haven't found a job yet and we're staying with my parents and the friends that I thought I had are not the same, still haven't figured that out, and I'm stressing out all the time, so of course I've gone back to eating more comet. I recently told my husband that I was keeping some near the bed and that every night I wait for him to fall asleep so that I can eat some, no I still have not gone to a doctor just yet.

Other than that, I'm hanging in there, how is everyone else doing?
Old 02-05-2009, 08:37 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Oh honey I sure wish you would go see someone for this. I just don't think there is any medical advise anyone here can offer you here.
I pray you can get some help.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:33 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hey,

I remember when you first started this thread and I simply didn't know what to say to you.I'd never heard of this addiction before but I looked it up.You are not alone, there are others out there with this addiction too, but sweetie-you so need to get some help okay? And soon.

I googled the ingredients in 'comet' and frankly I'm amazed you're still alive.Ammonia, phosphate, bleach?This is going to destroy your insides real fast-if not already.

The fact you're keeping this by your bed at night?Oh....I'm an alcoholic and understand the need-but truly-this is way more potent than my half bottle of wine I used to have.Not that it matters.I'm just REALLY disturbed by what you're ingesting.You cannot keep doing this.You will die.

Please get help.You need to tell your doctor.Seriously.This could kill you any time soon.

Sending you some love and hugs here,

Julesxox
Old 02-05-2009, 09:37 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
mle-sober

It's hard for me to understand why you don't go to the doctor. Perhaps that's terribly insensitive of me. But honestly, you seem complacent in your addiction. I'm not sure what kind of support we can offer you that can be of any real use if you don't physically get yourself in front of a medical doctor. You need blood work done. Nothing we say or do can help you with that.

Addiction is a horrible thing. And it causes cravings, both mental and physical. It is an incredibly hard thing to face and to fight. But merely talking about your addiction does not fight that addiction. You can talk about it and talk about it until you're blue in the face and all worn out. And nothing will change.

What you have to do is get up the courage to change something about the way you act. Start small at first. Make the committment to stop buying Comet. If you don't buy it, you're not keeping yourself supplied. If you can not do that, than make an appt with a doctor and keep it. If you can't do either of those things, at the very least, make the decision to not keep your supply by the bed. Make it harder for yourself to keep poisoning yourself.

I don't know how you'll take this post. You might get offended. Others might too. But I've been reading your thread since you started it. And once you post here, it's a funny thing, people start to care. I'm writing this because I care. Because I think it's time for you to see a doctor.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:20 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Hi K,
How much do you eat or sniff at a time? How often per day?

I suspect you are not going to the doctor because you know darn well he is going to tell you to stop and deep down you don't want to. You better go or YOU WILL kill yourself. If you stay on the same path you will die, I have no doubt about it.

I know when you are young you feel so invincible but something like comet cleanser will wipe you out. Please oh Please get some help. Your doctor is there to help you and not judge you. Let him/her do their job and give you what you need to stop this behavior. Please have full check up including blood work and face up to some damage you may have caused your body so you can be put on a healthy path.

I am also sure you want to have kids one day also. Honey what you are doing is slow suicide whether you want to admit it or not. Think about how many people will be absolutely crushed if something ever happened to you? If you don't stop for yourself, please stop for your future children and all those that love you.

Believe it or not I am now crying myself while I am writing this. I feel like I wish I can come and sprinkle fairy dust on you and fix you right up. I wish I could write something like "sorry I am scaring you" but... you should be scared right now, real scared.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:59 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Addiction is horrible. I have to agree with other posters that I cannot understand why you haven't gone to the doctor. What if it was your hubby, sister, mom.. whoever and you found out they were doing this? I don't know how you're alive... I do know I'd prefer you to stay that way. I also agree with previous poster that you seem complacent in your addiction. What steps are you taking to stop? None? Sorry if that seems rude, but... what help are you looking for here?
Old 02-06-2009, 07:36 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

K,
If your child came to you and said he/she was addicted to comet cleanser, what steps would you take?
Old 08-30-2009, 08:38 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hey to all...I'm still struggling with this addiction and I've also developed another as well, alcohol. Before I had my kids, I would drink every now and again and I would never get drunk, but then I had my first kid and then became pregnant with my second six months after the first one was born and then I became pregnant with my third child two years later. It's exhausting just thinking about it, it just seems as though I was in mommy baby mode for years and then the kids just being kids and every day life was getting to me and I was at home everyday with the kids, in the same routine and so after the third baby came along, that's when I started drinking heavy stuff, straight and I was only drinking on friday's, but then it slowly but surely progressed to everyday. Over the past weekend I had too much to drink and now I really want to work on my drinking, I don't want to be considered an alcoholic because now it's to the point where if I have a cup in my hand, somebody will ask me what I'm drinking and I'll be like, it's soda and then they'll go, what's it mixed with?
Old 08-30-2009, 09:07 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by kblack3 View Post
Hey to all...I'm still struggling with this addiction and I've also developed another as well, alcohol. Before I had my kids, I would drink every now and again and I would never get drunk, but then I had my first kid and then became pregnant with my second six months after the first one was born and then I became pregnant with my third child two years later. It's exhausting just thinking about it, it just seems as though I was in mommy baby mode for years and then the kids just being kids and every day life was getting to me and I was at home everyday with the kids, in the same routine and so after the third baby came along, that's when I started drinking heavy stuff, straight and I was only drinking on friday's, but then it slowly but surely progressed to everyday. Over the past weekend I had too much to drink and now I really want to work on my drinking, I don't want to be considered an alcoholic because now it's to the point where if I have a cup in my hand, somebody will ask me what I'm drinking and I'll be like, it's soda and then they'll go, what's it mixed with?
So what is your plan?

You say 'another addiction' have you done anything about the comet?
Gotten any kind of help? How is that one going?

What can we do to help you with either?
Old 08-30-2009, 09:41 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back kblack - good to see you again

Your comet addiction has gone on a long time, k - please don't let your alcohol one go on as long. It's time to stop both, isn't it?

You already know how supportive and helpful this place is - none of us do this alone...pls use us a little more.

Having said that tho, checking in here is good but for a lot of members here, it's just not enough.

DWI's question is a good one - have you any plans for face to face support, kblack?

If not, there's a lot of people here who'll be happy to help advise you on that
D
Old 08-31-2009, 02:29 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Unhappy

..absolutely...kudos the above...take care..lol Oz..
..please don't do this..
..your'e health and well-being.....is a part of us....

...a big part!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2009, 05:56 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Heathen

So what's the plan?
Old 08-31-2009, 08:32 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Sobriety in technicolor

Posting on here that you are doing better or that you relapsed on comet cleanser is not going to help you with your problem. The savvy posters use this forum to get suggestions and support with following through with those suggestions. I do not see that you are willing to take any suggestions. Many have posted that you need to see a doctor but you have yet to do so. We are not physicians (most of us anyway) and therefore cannot assess the danger that you are putting yourself in. Comet is 84% calcium carbonate, a chemical tha tis highly craved in people with PICA (see chalk-eating) so there may be an underlying medical issue here that we are not qualified to help with. If you want to stop, and stop for good, PLEASE see a doctor.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:35 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you are back and I hope that you talk to your dr.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:11 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

PICA is not uncommon. Unless your doctor is a complete bonehead, I would think he or she has heard of it before and could take the appropriate actions. I know hiding it may make it seem like it doesn't exist, or is no big deal, but that is not thinking in a very realistic manner.

And please, don't start drinking. I drank for three months, all day, every day. Getting over that short intense period HURT.

I guess we'll see you in a couple more months. Hopefully by then you will have seen a doctor. I guess there's a reason that pride is one of the seven deadly sins, in your case quite literally.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:58 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I just wanted you all to know that I've made a doctors appointment for this coming thursday and I'm really nervous but glad at the same time to know that I'm finally going to come clean with a doctor and to know that I'll be getting some help, because it's gotten way out of control. My mother is going with me, so I won't be alone. I just wanted to say thank you for all the never ending support that was shown to me and had it not been for you guys, I don't think that I'd be going to the doctor, so don't stop showing your support. Thanks!