Notices

addicted to comet cleanser

Old 03-23-2008, 01:32 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Red face addicted to comet

Tonight I relapsed on comet cleanser. I tried so hard, but I kept thinking about the smell and the taste of it. So tonight I ate some. I just love thway it taste and smells, I sniffed some and it was wonderful.

Yes I know I have a problem and I guess it dosen't help that I've been drinking too.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:25 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by kblack3 View Post
Tonight I relapsed on comet cleanser. I tried so hard, but I kept thinking about the smell and the taste of it. So tonight I ate some. I just love thway it taste and smells, I sniffed some and it was wonderful.

Yes I know I have a problem and I guess it dosen't help that I've been drinking too.

I worry about how your defenses get down when we drink. If you love the comet cleanser so much, you are likely to eat to much of it.

Just be careful about drinking and all that until you get some help with this.
You may not be able to see the damage, but you are most likely damaging your insides.

Have you thought more about calling a doctor?

:ghug3
Old 03-23-2008, 11:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Unhappy addicted to comet

This morning when I woke up, I felt so ashamed because I had some comet last night, more than the usual amount...

Don't give up on me you guys, I'm going to get back on track...
Old 03-30-2008, 03:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Smile addicted to comet

Well I'm somewhat proud of myself. Yesterday I went grocery shopping and because I have an addiction to comet cleanser, the laundry detergent aisle is my favorite aisle in the store because that's where the comet cleanser is, well I managed to only go down that aisle without getting a couple of cans, I only went for the laundry detergent.

Even if I have a couple of cans of comet at home, I'll still buy more when I go to the store, for fear I run out. It didn't even dawn on me that I had done that until I was being checked out. I went to two different grocery stores and didn't buy a single can of comet. Hooray for me! Well just thought I'd share my little victory...
Old 03-30-2008, 03:14 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

Well, good for you for staying away from the comet. I suppose that is a victory right there.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Smile addicted to comet cleanser

I just wanted to say that I'm doing very well, in addition to me taking the multi-vitamins, I'm also taking my iron tabs every day. I've had two slips in the past couple of weeks, but other than that, I'm doing great and loving it!
Old 04-17-2008, 01:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hiya kblack!
So nice of you to pop in!
I was wondering about you just this morning.....:ghug
Old 04-17-2008, 03:09 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

I have heard of some strange addictions and behaviors before but this one beats all I think...............
Old 04-17-2008, 03:13 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Way to go Kblack! I'm so proud of you!!!8

Frstnm, Nice encouragement there. :/
Old 04-17-2008, 03:32 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Let go, let God.

I have never heard of this before in my life either. Does comet get you high? I wish you the best kblack. I would definately see a doctor about this. Keep coming back for support.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:36 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Let me clear this up for y'all:
Its called PICA...an urge to eat non-food things.
When she says sniff comet, she doesnt mean the way one would sniff coke.
I have PICA too...lol...I eat paper. Loads of it. Weird, huh?
Old 04-17-2008, 03:45 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Whatever way it shows itself, addiction sucks I think we can all agree on that....:brick:
good to hear you're doing better kblack

D
Old 04-17-2008, 03:50 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Let go, let God.

Originally Posted by ImJulie View Post
Let me clear this up for y'all:
Its called PICA...an urge to eat non-food things.
When she says sniff comet, she doesnt mean the way one would sniff coke.
I have PICA too...lol...I eat paper. Loads of it. Weird, huh?
Hi Julie, I was so curious I had to go searching for info. It happens to pregnant women from what I read. Thanks for your info as well.

Here's a good article that I found:

Pica and Pregnancy : American Pregnancy Association
Old 04-17-2008, 03:53 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Yup...as crazy as it sounds, lots of pregnant women crave dirt. Yes...the dirt from the garden outside.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:55 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Let go, let God.

Learn something new everyday.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:56 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Hi Julie, I was so curious I had to go searching for info. It happens to pregnant women from what I read. Thanks for your info as well.

There is a strong association between iron deficiency and pica.
If a mineral deficiency is not identified as the cause of pica, it often leads to a diagnosis as a mental disorder.
I think only her doctor can say for sure that it is Pica.

From what I've always been taught there is a difference between Pica and Iron deficiency.

JMO~

Here is more on Pica

Pica

Pica includes strong cravings for non-food items. The most frequent are:

* Dirt, clay

* Paint chips, plaster, chalk

* Cornstarch, laundry starch, baking soda

* Cigarette ashes, burnt match heads

* Rust

* Library paste, white glue

* Other items that are not usually considered food. Sometimes items that have significant potential to cause serious physical harm such as needles, nails, broken glass, coins and sharp or rusty pieces of metal

Pica is usually found in

* Pregnant women

* People whose diets are deficient in minerals contained in the consumed substances

* People who have psychiatric disturbances such as hysteria

* People with developmental disabilities or similar impairments.

* People whose family or ethnic customs include eating certain non-food substances

* People who diet, become hungry, and then try to ease hunger and cravings with low-calorie, non-food substances.

Pica: facts, theories and discussion

Some pica is harmless, but if the craved substance is toxic or contaminated (intestinal infections and parasites are particular concerns), or if it blocks the intestines, it can lead to medical emergency and death. Medical evaluation is essential.

The word "pica" comes from the Latin word for magpie, a bird that is famous for eating anything and everything.

Perhaps ten to twenty percent of children have pica at some time before adulthood. Almost all outgrow it.

Depending on the population, zero percent to sixty-eight percent of pregnant women have pica. Those in lower socioeconomic groups seem to have more non-food cravings.

In some cases, pica is related not to dietary deficiencies but to folk traditions passed on in families or ethnic groups.

* Some people treat clay or dirt eating as a part of daily routine, somewhat like smoking.

* Others believe that eating dirt will help them incorporate magical spirits from the Earth into their bodies.

* Still others believe that certain kinds of clay will suppress morning sickness when eaten.

Some children with pica may be imitating a pet dog or cat.

Stress may be a precipitating factor, especially the stress of dieting if the person tries to relieve hunger pangs with non-food substances.

There is evidence to support the hypothesis that at least some pica is a response to dietary deficiency. Pregnant women, for example, have given up pica after they were treated for iron-deficiency anemia.

But other cases of pica can cause dietary deficiencies because the consumed substances block absorption of essential nutrients in the intestines.

A sub-set of people with pica ingest items that could cause significant harm such as nails, knives and broken glass. They should be evaluated for possible mental disorders in which these objects have taken on symbolic meaning and value.

If pica is a lifestyle choice that does not harm the individual, and if it is not part of an underlying eating disorder or other mental disorder, it can go untreated, but care should be taken to protect against toxic substances such as lead in paint and plaster chips. The person must be alert for symptoms (pain, lack of bowel movements, abdominal bloat and distention) that suggest the substance has formed an indigestible mass that has blocked the intestines. If such is the case, immediate medical attention is necessary.

Warning!

Please Note: ANRED information is not a substitute for medical or psychological evaluation and treatment. For help with the physical and emotional problems associated with eating disorders, talk to your physician and a mental health professional.

Table of contents

How to use this site

Go back one page

Go forward one page

Page updated March 16, 2006

ANRED
Anorexia Nervosa and Related Eating Disorders, Inc.
© 2005. All rights reserved.

html 4.01 transitional
Old 05-09-2008, 09:09 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Unhappy addicted to comet cleanser

I had a set back. For the last past couple of weeks I've been eating comet again, a little every day, so I started doubling up on my vitamins and today when I had some, it didn't taste quite the same, but I kept eating it anyway.

I'm bummed out about it, and I am trying, you have to believe me when I tell you that I'm trying. Well I just wanted to give you an update on how I was doing.

I hope everyone else is doing well...
Old 05-10-2008, 10:42 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
mle-sober

lblack,

I, like many others here, haven't ever heard of anything like what you are doing. Maybe you have an addiction problem but maybe you don't. Maybe your craving and eating comet is something different - a mental disorder, a vitamin defficiency, an effort to harm yourself. You seem convinced that it is an iron defficiency because you can see it lessen when you take your iron. And yet, you still do it, even when you when you take your iron as you said in your latest post above.

So.... here's what it looks like to me: You absolutely must swallow your pride and your pain and go to a doctor as soon as you can. Only a god doctor is going to be able to help sort out what this is. And when you don't even know what it is, how can you attack it? How can fight an enemy you can't really even identify?

You are clearly miserable. And I feel empathetic. I think health problems of any nature are difficult. But you've got one that is very hard for others to undrestand (your husband is doing a good job of being understanding, I think. My husband would've freaked out at me if I revealed a craving like that). And you don't even know your cravings' true nature. Please, please, please see a doctor so you can learn more and begin taking the recovery path that will help.

Please. Every day that you do not make an appointment with a doctor you are seriously injuring the mother of your children. I'm pretty sure you want your children to have a loving and healthy mother. They deserve it. The havn't done anything wrong. If you can't do it for yourself because of embarrassment or emotional pain, do it for your children. Please.

I am praying for you,

MLE
Old 05-10-2008, 10:55 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i was born in spain - my dad was military. a lot of the babies there at the time, including me, picked at and ate paint chips from the walls. they said it was caused because of iron defiencies (or however you spell that). they had to keep us in cribs and playpens in the middle of rooms, away from the walls. kind of scary to think about because of all the lead paint used in those days ..

be careful, kblack - i'd talk to your doc if you haven't already. k
Old 07-03-2008, 10:36 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I last posted. I've just been really busy with life, I finally got to go home after five years and it was really really good, while I was down there, I didn't have access to any comet cleanser so that was really good, I was too busy visiting family. My husband and I decided that we should move back home to be near family and I think maybe that would help me kick this addiction.

As soon as I got back home, I went out and bought some comet cleanser, more so because I was really sad from having to say goodbye to family, I buy those 25oz value size cans, somedays are better than others, and yes I'm still eating comet cleanser, a little everyday. I can't wait to move back home...