Notices

can't forgive myself

Old 03-12-2008, 05:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

can't forgive myself

for falling off the wagon yesterday, after reaching four days without alcohol. Now Ihave to start all over, and get past the withdrawal all over again... because I'm TOO STUPID OR WEAK OR SOMETHING to stay sober more than four days. I feel so ashamed of myself. I am starting all over today but am so sorry to lose the four days I had gained sober. what the hell is wrong with me that I can't get past four days sober??? I am sick of myself.

I am praying to a God I'm not sure of that I can get past this horrible mistake and do better this time.:praying
Old 03-12-2008, 06:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

Don't be upset with yourself. 4 days was a pretty good attempt. You know you can do it. I couldn't make it a couple of hours when I tried to quit by myself. Atleast you know you can go 4 days, so build on that. Have you considered AA for support? Keep trying, you got this!
Old 03-12-2008, 06:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You're not alone

Hey- I can relate on all kinds of levels to your post. I KNOW how you feel...read through my old posts..we have a lot in common.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Its not about being stupid or weak. It is that called addiction.
And day one is a great start. Because it means you keep trying. Read my sig.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
29a
God is my benzo

I can't say for you, but it sounds to me like what's wrong with you may be that your an alcoholic.
If it were easy to quit there would be no treatment programs, no need for AA, and no sober recovery. They would be pointless.

The fact is is that it's not easy. There is no need to beat yourself up. You can't changed what's happened but you can learn from it.

I found a solution by going to AA, listening to suggestions and working throught the steps with a sponsor.

I hope you find yours as well.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by least View Post
for falling off the wagon yesterday, after reaching four days without alcohol. Now Ihave to start all over, and get past the withdrawal all over again... because I'm TOO STUPID OR WEAK OR SOMETHING to stay sober more than four days. I feel so ashamed of myself. I am starting all over today but am so sorry to lose the four days I had gained sober. what the hell is wrong with me that I can't get past four days sober??? I am sick of myself.

I am praying to a God I'm not sure of that I can get past this horrible mistake and do better this time.:praying
I too could not seem to stop drinking when I tried to. It seemed like I could not get the thoughts out of my head. Each day was a struggle. I felt like I was going insane. Each time I wound up drinking I too questioned why I wasn't strong enough to stop. Why I was so weak.

It took me 20 years of drinking and getting to the point where I could not face living any longer if living meant continuing to live in the bottle. I reached out and found a recovery program. I realized that I was not weak, I have a disease. Having a disease does not mean I am a weak willed person any more than saying someone with diabetes is a weak willed person because their body reacts to sugar different than mine. My body reacts to alcohol in a similiar way to an allergen. I needed help to stop. Just as the diabetic needs insulin I needed something more powerful than what I had to stop my drinking. I found that power in Alcoholics Anonymous. I will have 7 years sober as of tomorrow. It can be done.

There are many recovery programs out there. I would suggest finding one that you feel you can work at then go to it whole heartedly. Put all the willpower you have into working that program. I am willing to bet good money that you will find you can stop drinking.

Don't beat yourself up, that is not productive. Put your energy into something useful, my suggestion is a program of recovery. Then you will see results.

Here is a list of recovery programs:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html
Old 03-12-2008, 01:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

least - I am right there with you. I'm on day 2 AGAIN - but the point is to keep trying. We can do this! There is nothing you can do about the past - so you have to move forward. I know how you feel - but you are not alone.

We're all here for you!
:ghug2
Old 03-12-2008, 01:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

You sounded just like I did when I was trying to stop drinking.

I would get stuck at 3 days, over and over again. I think as soon as I started feeling like, yes, maybe I can do this, I'd sabotage myself. I didn't realize how I was so afraid of succeeding. I think failure was more familiar to me and even though it felt bad, it seemed more comfortable.

Try to believe in yourself and that you deserve a good life.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
let it grow!

well, i forgive you. it's a tough disease. just take it one day at a time, least. hugs, k
Old 03-12-2008, 02:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Least, I too would like to suggest you get help (AA or another program) with your recovery. For me in the past when I'd tried to "quit" (they were all half-hearted attempts) by myself, I'd go 7-10 days max, then be back to where I started.

I think God pointed me toward AA and here because he got sick of hearing me promise to quit drinking if He'd just get me through that hangover.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
where the light is

I've been in this state of mind so many times. I am almost 3 months sober and (of equal or maybe more importance) I have absolutely no desire to drink. What it took for me was the willingness & committment to do 'whatever it takes' to quit drinking & to be okay with the idea of living a life without alcohol. For me, this included swallowing my pride/fear and going to AA, immediately getting a sponsor, & working through the steps (I'm on step 8). I also pray, participate of SR, maintain a journal, do tons of recovery related reading, reconnected with my loved ones (very supportive), and am trying to work on the issues underlying my drinking. I have been able to do this & still work on being a good dad, husband, and employee. And even though I am feeling so much better today, I will not let up.

I hope you find your path. Sobriety is possible and you are worth it.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Many of us had false starts on our way to solid recovery.

Just try again
Old 03-12-2008, 08:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

WTF? Be thankful. You got 4 sober days out of the deal
First thing you have to do is Forgive Yourself. Ill feelings toward yourself is a sure fire way to end up drunk. If you forgive yourself you will find that you are worthy of the effort it takes moreso than if you didn't forgive yourself. So you lost 4 days. So what! Is being sober so important that losing 4 days bothers you that much? Something to think about next time a bottle calls on you.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

We took an unofficial survey at a meeting a few weeks ago asking for a show of hands of those people who remained Clean & Sober from their very first attempt. No hands were raised.

As the Big Book of Alcoholic Anonymous says, this disease of alcoholism(addiction) is cunning, baffling and powerful.

I encourage you to start going to AA meetings right away. I am a firm believer that a solid support system that is centered around AA/NA has the best chance of giving us alcoholics/addicts what we need to remain Clean & Sober.

God Bless & Thank God . . . Just for Today,
Judy
Old 03-13-2008, 02:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Beating yourself up is a great way to end up 'there' again...take it from one who knows.
I've also learned it's not about weakness, least, it's about addiction - they may look superficially the same but they *are* two different things.

Like someone else said...forget losing....you gained 4 days....and a reinforcement that you and drinking don't just mix...and hey - you came back here...you sound more like a winner to me...

learn from this, dust yourself off, and move on...try again Think about what you need to do it right next time

keep posting
D
Old 03-13-2008, 02:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You certainly are not alone. I have had 4 days so many times on my way to recovery, I can't begin to count them. That's why it's cunning, baffling and powerful. In my opinion, it has to about honesty (being honest with yourself) and complete acceptance of the first step in AA. "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol....". This takes complete acceptance or we are on a slippery slope because the idea of control seeps in and then more drinking and consequences. At the moment I think I will have a drink and things will be different, I am indulging insanity. Never quit quitting. I believe it takes 100% effort in a recovery based program but I am not there yet either.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi!
Nothing to be ashamed of. How many times did we have to fall in order to learn how to walk!?
I feel off the wagon after 7 and half years. I was so angry at myself. I thought i'd have to go another 7+ years before I could regain my pride. But I was wrong. I'm already 5 months sober and I've been proud of every moment of it!
Try again. We're all here to help.:ghug
Good luck.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

P-S: don't forget, it's an illness we're dealing with. Not a stupidness or a weakness.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

it may be an illness but it's an illness that has the effect of self hatred. i'm sitting here hating myself for falling off the wagon and now having to go thru withdrawal all over again. I swore when i made it to day four that i wouldn't put myself thru this again, yet here i am, going thru the same self induced torture. please pray for me t hat i live thru today. i have to do better than this. ihave to make it this time. make it for good. :praying
Old 03-13-2008, 01:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Least

Four days lost? That would imply that you haven't gained from the experience. Do you not know just a little bit more now than you did then? It seems like you do to me.

Best to you and keep on learnin'

warrens