Notices

Need advice on getting off tramadol

Old 03-13-2008, 01:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need advice on getting off tramadol

My name is Josh, and I am 18 years old. I have been addicted to tramadol since I was 16. I have chronic back pain that is being fixed with physical therepy, which is the reason I started taking it. But I kept taking(and in large doses) the drug every day whether or not the pain was there. I kept telling myself it was there, trying to fool myself into thinking I need the pill. And yes I know it is not a opioid or a true narcotic. But a few days ago I tried quitting cold turkey, due to the fact that the drug can give me seizures and causes my heart rate to go insane and brings me close to a heart attack. But when I tried to stop, I was miserable. I felt every little ache and pain in my body. I did not want to move at all, and the highlight of the day was going to sleep just so the pain and depression would go away. I started looking on the internet to see if other people had the problem, and to my surprise there were tons of people out there, but everyone said they couldn't quit cold turkey they used anti-depressants like prozac and general weaning off the drug to overcome the problem.

Right now I am trying to just keep it to one dose a day, and I am doing better but for my health I cannot continue taking the pills on any level. But I don't want to become addicted to anti-depressants to get off tramadol. Use them to wean myself off is how I want to do it. But there is no one I can really talk to as I don't know anyone who has gone through this(thankfully, it's hell). So I guess I am trying to ask advice on what to do? I can't wean myself on the tramadol or there is a chance I will die. and I can't go cold turkey without contemplating suicide. The prozac solution seems like he best.

I would appreciate any and all help you can offer. I need it badly.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

Mate, I don't know anything about Tramadol, so I can't offer you any advice, but I do hope that you find a solution and get out of the prescription drug trap.

All the best, keep searching, and here's hoping you can find someone here who's been through the same thing. Might be an idea to post this in the substance abuse/addiction forum (found from the main page).

Good luck!
Old 03-13-2008, 04:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
29a
God is my benzo

Trust me friend, you don't want medical advice from anyone here. Coming off medicine can be very dangerous. You should talk to a dr.
We can give you advice on living life after addiction, and preventing relapse.
I'm glad your here, keep posting and good luck.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I agree that you need to see a doctor. But we will be here to help you as you get off of the pills. please keep posting.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice to post in a different section(I was just excited to find a place that actually had people in the same or worse boat I am in). Thanks for the offers of help as well. I will probably be taking them soon.