Notices

Types of alcoholism?

Old 03-14-2008, 09:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

types of alcoholism

Thank you all for the input. It has helped me glean so much. The reason that I am here is to determine if I myself am an addict. I see some of the same patterns in myself as I did in my mom. Although I don't drink to excess, or drink all day, I do seem to need a few beers before bed each nite. I don't blackout or have more than 3 or 4 beers, but no matter where I go, I have to take those few with me for bedtime. My doctor has told me that it may be something in my body is lacking, and that the beer may "quench" the need for it. Even non-alcoholic beer works just fine. I feel drowsy with or without the alcohol, but it does worry me because alcoholic behavior has had a long, entrenched history in my family, going back generations. What amazes me the most, is that if I do drink a whole bunch of N/A beer before bed (by a whole bunch I mean 6 or 8), I can wake up in the morning and still feel groggy and semi-hung over. There must be a whole lot going on yet that I need to figure out, but this site is really opening my eyes and helping me to get my life taken back. My gratitude for all the well thought posts so far.