Notices

Blackouts, Do they Make You Alcoholic Automatically???

Old 03-12-2008, 03:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
This catz gone wild!!!

Blackouts, Do they Make You Alcoholic Automatically???

I know someone that doesn't drink much if at all anymore, but when we were younger, he would black out a lot. He drank every weekend (weekend warrior), sometimes during the week if he was offered, or he was not working in his late teens early 20's. He tended to drink to get inialated at that point in his life. He would regularly wake up and not remember what happened the night before. One time he woke up under the cap of a truck (laying on the ground) with vomit on him and his tongue swollen! I NEVER blacked out, I stopped after 5 drinks at the most because I'd feel sick (although I am alcoholic, I abused alcohol to feel better about my life, especially if drugs of choice were not available and started drinking alcoholically (to just get drunk eventually I could put away 15 beers) between 12 to 19 years old got sober after my son, then went back to drinking 9 mixed drinks to 15 beers per weekend in my mid to late 20's. I never got to the point of blacking out, and had plenty of hangovers in my earlier drinking career, but not so many after getting used to the 9 cocktails or 15+ beers. So I am wondering, if my friend who drank like a fish whenever he could, acted like a dumb ass in public sometimes, was alcoholic, or was it alcohol abuse, that he kinda outgrew??? He admitts to me that he blacked out last year on vacation every night drinking tequila, and went on a tequila binge for quite some time after he got back from vacation. So it makes me wonder... The disease is progressive, and he blacked out right away after the first fith of tequila. Any insight?
Old 03-12-2008, 03:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
This catz gone wild!!!

Thanks. He's my ex-husband and we have one son together and I worry about my son becoming and alcoholic or addict because of having us as parents. I hear its genetic? Thanks for the reply Mick HK.

Love

Jaz
Old 03-12-2008, 04:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I agree with Mick, I know guys from school who ABUSED alcohol when they were younger to the point of blacking out, but today drink normally.

I was a black out drinker, in my early years of drinking I had to drink a lot before I would black out, during the last 5 years of my drinking I operated every evening in a black out even though I was not drunk. My body simply went into autopilot and my brain disengaged from reality. Those last 5 years it was rare for me to be able to remember after 6pm the night before, when I did get drunk my wife would let me know!!!! According to my wife the last 2 years of my drinking I was either fall down snot slinging drunk every night or except for my breath I acted perfectly normal.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have also read that the predisposition to alcoholism does run in families. I must be the first one in my family - a source of shame for me. But my daughter, when confronting me recently, told me "you know I can never drink now cause I'm afraid I'll be alcoholic like you." That hurt, the more cause it was so true. So yes, I'd guess that if you are both heavy drinkers, or "problem drinkers", then your child might have problems with alcohol also. If they choose to drink, that is. I pray my kids never drink, knowing how hard it is for me to stop.

:ghug2
Old 03-12-2008, 06:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

Your daghter may be able to drink and not be alcoholic. My good friend drinks nonalcoholic style & his Dad is a raging drunkard. Its not your fault if you are alcoholic. Teach your daughter what's up about the "ism" so she will know. Then she will have a heads up if she chooses to drink. Don't let your daughter put you down becuse of the "ism." Remember we have no control over the "ism." Except for not drinking.