Notices

My God, it's just a can

Old 03-11-2008, 02:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I've made a few half hearted attempts to stop which of course haven't been successful..but lately, I am profoundly aware of the fact that I have to stop for good. No compromise, I cannot drink in moderation. There are things I have a blast doing without even thinking about booze. Being with my family. Spending time with my dogs. Spending time with certain friends, reading, swimming, interacting with others. I know it's possible. And I also know that I cannot possibly be unhappier in sobriety than I am drinking. But I am an impatient, instant gratification type of person and when life's not wonderful after a few days of abstinence that horrible voice comes back again. My life is out of control. My house is a mess, I've lost a few friends and neglected my relationships and myself. I am starting to lose my ability to empathize and connect with others, my mind has become so lazy that on my hungover days I'm too damn tired to think or care. Thank you again everyone for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

step one

Originally Posted by fallingdown View Post
Just one stupid 12 ounce can has had the power to destroy my life and I felt such anger at the thing I wanted to smash it, stomp it up, kill it. I'm just so angry.
To me that reads as acceptance of the first step, you admitted that alcohol had the power. You were powerless.

The rest of the story is pretty typical. There alot of us like that, some of us have made a decision to live a better life.

There is hope, you just have to apply some action in your life. There is a program called AA that can change your life.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome ...

You asolutely did post in the correct forum.
I also invite you to join us on the Alcoholism Forum.

Many of us use several Forums...and I do hope you will.

Congratulations for seeking answers to your drinking!
There can be healing and hope for you too!

Here is a link to excerpts from the book
that convinced me to finally quit

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Glad you are here with us...
Old 03-11-2008, 03:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Welcome to sr fallingdown
I know exactly what you mean about being tired of being tired. I didnt experience a huge catastrophe in my life to reach my bottom- but mentally i was beat.
I hope you find what you are looking for- i'm sure you will here. I am a member of A.A. too- i realy suggest you go along and give it a try - it's really helping me to turn my life around, i've tried to give up booze in the past alone but i've never managed, being in a fellowship that can give me all the help i need is amazing for me - and millions of others too! All the best, keep posting and let us know how you are getting on
Old 03-11-2008, 03:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Hi Falling,

Boy, your last post really hit a chord with me. I can totally relate to what you are feeling right now. I was in the very same place as you once..

Talk to your doctor. That's a perfect step to take. Keep posting, and think about hitting up an AA meeting. Sounds like you want your life to be better, and it really can be!

big hugs,

Karen
Old 03-12-2008, 07:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thank you all from the bottom of my aching heart. I sure do feel good today and that's when it's easy. It's when we don't feel so good that it gets difficult. After I go to the doctor I shall look up meetings in my area, can't be hard to find them in this city.