Notices

Any tips?

Old 03-10-2008, 10:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any tips?

I have known for a long time that I have a problem with alcohol, however now I am determined to take control and sort myself out. The main reason that I have decided now is because my alcohol dependency is starting to take a toll on my health, night sweats, palpitations, mysterious pains, weight gain, also my skin's suffering too! and being the immensly vain person that I am I hate that! crazy I know!! when you consider what could be/is going on in my body. Also I have signed up to a mini race for charity and don't want to collapse halfway through!! (actually there are loads of reasons I want to stop but I won't go into all of them it would be an epic! )

Anyway at this very early stage of my recovery I am most keen to hear about any useful tips that anyone has for getting through that initial daily 'I need a drink' feeling and then the persistant little voice that follows that won't let the thought out of my head. I can't do just one drink because it never is just that, once I have one all my resolve disappears & I don't really care about how many I have after that! :/

Anyway if anyone has any tips I'd be really grateful x
Old 03-10-2008, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

one tip from me

Originally Posted by poppet2008 View Post
I have known for a long time that I have a problem with alcohol, however now I am determined to take control and sort myself out. The main reason that I have decided now is because my alcohol dependency is starting to take a toll on my health, night sweats, palpitations, mysterious pains, weight gain, also my skin's suffering too! and being the immensly vain person that I am I hate that! crazy I know!! when you consider what could be/is going on in my body. Also I have signed up to a mini race for charity and don't want to collapse halfway through!! (actually there are loads of reasons I want to stop but I won't go into all of them it would be an epic! )

Anyway at this very early stage of my recovery I am most keen to hear about any useful tips that anyone has for getting through that initial daily 'I need a drink' feeling and then the persistant little voice that follows that won't let the thought out of my head. I can't do just one drink because it never is just that, once I have one all my resolve disappears & I don't really care about how many I have after that! :/

Anyway if anyone has any tips I'd be really grateful x

Welcome to SR Poppet

If you are powerless over alcohol as I am, it might be good for you to ease up on trying to take control. I tried to take control for 30 years and couldn't get anywhere. Only when alcohol and drugs beat me down to the point of surrender was I able to find relief and for me it has nothing to do with control and everything to do with not being in control...that's the whole point of admitting I'm powerless over alcohol. I've lost control and will NEVER get it back, I've crossed that bridge so to speak.

Good Luck Poppet
Old 03-10-2008, 10:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Welcome Poppet!

I this your first attempt at Recovery?

The first thing that I can highly recommend is finding AA meetings in your area.
Get lots of phone numbers from members of the same sex (we don't want to go looking for dates now. ok?)
Go to at least one meeting a day. When people in early Recovery say they can't get to a meeting every day, unless you live really far away from meeting locations, ask yourself this, "Did I let my location keep me from drinking?"
Keep your eyes open for a member of the same sex who you feel you can relate to, someone with at least, in my recommendation, one year or more in Recovery. You will need a Sponsor. Don't ask the first person you meet. I did that then found out I couldn't relate to her and had to go through the hassle of "firing her" that just led to more unneeded drama in my life.
Find a God of your understanding, your Higher Power
Stay away from old people, places and things that involved past drinking

I'm sure this sounds overswhelming, Recovery is an entire change of lifestyle, not just abstaining from alcohol/drugs.

I hope to see you posting often, you've taken a huge step by admitting your powerless over alcohol and your life is unmanageable.

We are here for you!

God Bless & Thank God . . . Just for Today,
Judy:ghug3
Old 03-10-2008, 10:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 03-10-2008, 10:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and Welcome to SR.

Early sobriety is most challenging but not impossible...Latch on to all the support you can...

Keep posting here...
Old 03-10-2008, 11:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

After 28 years of continuous sobriety through AA myself, I can't think of much to add to what serenityqueen has already suggested...other than maybe:

Easy Does It, But Do It!
Old 03-10-2008, 11:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Hi Poppet, welcome to SR!

I don't know how much you're drinking, but if you're having those health problems, it would be a good idea for you to talk to your doctor about quitting.

Regarding what to do when those urges come? Do anything but drink. Call a friend, train for that mini-race, have a nice hot bubble bath. Anything to distract your mind. The busier I am, the less I think about drinking.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Poppet.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Poppet!
I agree with what the others have suggested above.
When I got on the wagon I watched allot of tv and movies and documentarys. I read some books. I read the A.A. book. I tried to learn some new stuff on the guitar. Listened to music. Read what people are going through on here; post on here. Just anything to keep you busy and distracted basically.
If you have any alcohol in the house throw it out. Perhaps for a while it will be neccesary to avoid going to places where alcohol is consumed, such as pubs and clubs and partys. Maybe you might even have to stop hanging out with people who drink for a while.
I know Dorset's a bit of a remote area, but if their are any A.A. meetings locally I suggest you try them.
It sounds hard, but don't be affraid. You can do it!
Good luck, let us know how you're doing. :ghug3
Old 03-10-2008, 11:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome!

As you can see there is no shortage of good peole and good advice here. Just a warning; my sobriety, if it is to truly be permanent and thorough, will atke more than tips. This ain't a souffle we're making. It is simply examinig and changing dam* near everything we've become "accustomed" to.

Beyond that, it is a walk in the park.
AA can provide a map.

warrens
Old 03-10-2008, 01:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to see you are heading towards
a sober healthy life.

The best tip Ican give you
check out your local AA meetings.

Welcome!
Old 03-10-2008, 01:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Hi!

I go to AA, but in the very beginning I didn't. In order to get through my cravings, which only last a few minutes or so, I drank lots of water, cried, took bubble baths, ate chocolate. Prayed. Thought about how great I'll feel being sober. Prayed. cried.

Repeat.

After a few weeks, I finally went to a meeting and I found that it wasn't as difficult after that...

Keep posting and good luck!
Old 03-10-2008, 01:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Try not to intertain those thoughts of drinking. In the beginning when I had a thought like that, I would say to myself "Out of the Question". This is because I found that I could not control my drinking. So even one drink was out of the question for me.

And after a few months those thoughts went away. You can give it a try, it worked for me.