Notices

This is my first step to recovery

Old 03-06-2008, 09:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is my first step to recovery

Well I have to say this is very scary for me! After years of drug use my life has finally hit bottom. I have successfully lost everything that matters to me and realized last night that drugs have done this to me. I am going to attempt to go an N/A meeting tonight. How could I allow my life to be sooo out of control? I was raised in an upper class family, well educated, blah blah blah. Any input from others to help me making this first step would be appreciated. Again, this is very scary to me because using has been a way of life for a long time! Thanks to all......
Old 03-06-2008, 09:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR...

Keep posting, we are happy you found us...

Others will be along with support and great info...
Old 03-06-2008, 10:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Welcome to the forums Pebbles!

Addiction doesn't discriminate, so don't beat yourself up about that. I'm glad to hear that you're going to try to get to an NA meeting tonight
Old 03-06-2008, 10:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you for making the decision to turn your life around. You will find lots of support here. Welcome to SR!
Old 03-06-2008, 11:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Pebbles, I am glad you are doing what you need to do to stay sober.

Keep reading and posting.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!! Don't be afraid. Everyone here is so nice with helpful advise and support. We're all in life together.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome

As has been said, addiction is and equal opportunity disease. No country club, it accepts anyone for membership.

Wealth may even be a disadvantage. No scrounging for $, no dangerous liasons to score.

Education, something I know about, can also be a disadvantage. Rationalizing, intellectualizing, internal negotiations, and the "air" of success get in the way of simple reasoning. Seriously.

Mildly ******** folks when presented with the same opportunities to abuse simply won't. Because it's "wrong" and "bad." Who's smarter?

We work on recovery here. Half the time I don't even know if I'm talking to a man or a woman. I've been "fooled" many times and I've only been here three weeks! Anything not recovery oriented, while perhaps interesting, isn't the purpose of this community.

You have taken a big step. "A journey of a thousand miles..." From now on though, you will have many hands to hold.

Peace and Serenity,

warrens
Old 03-06-2008, 11:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is sooooo hard!

Thank you all!!! I am very scared!!! Recovery is sooo important to me but I'm so afraid the Meth has got the better of me!!!! I am hurting mentally and physically. I am at the point today that I am trying to rationalize to myself that if I just wean myself slowly....another words I am wanting bad!!! Is this common???
Old 03-06-2008, 02:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

have f.e.a.r.

f*ck
everything
and
recover
Old 03-06-2008, 02:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you!!!!

I sincerely thank all of you that have responded to my plea for help and assistance!!! Has anyone else experienced recovery from Meth (how long, physical withdrawals, etc.)?
Old 03-06-2008, 02:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

you might want to check the substance abuse forum. post there or something.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Pebbles

I think everyone can relate to feeling scared; I, for one, was terrified when I finally sobered up a short while ago. Posting here has helped a whole lot, you'll find encouragement and support. The fear is still with me at times, but it's different: I no longer fear the unexpected as much, I'm more concerned about all I have right now that I can lose with just one drink. But that mostly happens when I remember the past. If I look ahead, sometimes I'm filled with hope.

You'll find plenty of people recovering from drug addictions in this community; plenty have experience with NA.

Keep posting and reading

Matt
Old 03-06-2008, 03:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Pebbles,

I used meth almost daily from 1985-1991. At the end I was smoking it daily. When I quit, by day 3 I was awake enough to pack up my stuff and leave the house I was staying at. I was pretty tired for only about a week. I know for a fact that when I had 3 weeks clean (I had not done any coffee or cigs) I got a total coffee buzz that day. haha

I have never gone back to meth. It was so ruining my life. I was miserable and almost lost my 2 1/2 yr old son. Today he is in college in Europe, and even though I have messed up periodically with pain killers, I love my sleep. I love the fact that my body no longer hurts and I feel like major crap. I love how I no longer hear things, or see things. I love how my mood swings are no longer. I love how I can think rationally without meth. I love how I can actually retain information w/ out needing meth.

You know, in the beginning I thought it was helping me get through college and study harder, be a better student, and lose a few lbs. In the end it kicked my butt. My life began to be more and more intwined with those ppl that everyone and everything important to me lost it's place.

All that drug did for me was made me realize that perfectionism on drugs usually leads to procrastination, and then nothing at all. So get to that meeting, and get a sponsor, even if it is a temporary sponsor. You gotta get off that crap! you can do it! you feel feel a million times better!

Sheila
Old 03-06-2008, 03:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Hi Pebbles and welcome, please let us know how your meeting goes.

Cathy
Old 03-06-2008, 03:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello

Your words made me think. "I'm afraid meth may have the better of me."

Perhaps alcohol had the better of me, too. But, a few weeks ago, I decided to take "the better of me" back. The better of me is now with me and is once again part of me. We're becoming soulmates.

This was pretty hard to see a couple of months ago. I didn't see it at all.

I don't know much about meth except that it is some pretty nasty stuff to get past. So is alcohol. I think they might be the same in that we cannot imagine feeling "good" until we do. It took me a week before I really new why I wanted to quit. To feel this way. To be in control of my life.

warrens
Old 03-06-2008, 04:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

hi Pebbles welcome to SR

congrats

Have you seen a Doc? If not probably a good idea and be open and honest with them.

Kevin
Old 03-07-2008, 09:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank You!!!!

I cannot thank you all for the words of support. Unfortunately due to weather conditions I could not get to the NA meeting last night. There is another one tomorrow (weather has cleared up) and I hope I can make that one. If I can make it through today.....
Old 03-07-2008, 02:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I could not have said it better

Originally Posted by warrens View Post
Welcome

As has been said, addiction is and equal opportunity disease. No country club, it accepts anyone for membership.

Wealth may even be a disadvantage. No scrounging for $, no dangerous liasons to score.

Education, something I know about, can also be a disadvantage. Rationalizing, intellectualizing, internal negotiations, and the "air" of success get in the way of simple reasoning. Seriously.

Mildly ******** folks when presented with the same opportunities to abuse simply won't. Because it's "wrong" and "bad." Who's smarter?

We work on recovery here. Half the time I don't even know if I'm talking to a man or a woman. I've been "fooled" many times and I've only been here three weeks! Anything not recovery oriented, while perhaps interesting, isn't the purpose of this community.

You have taken a big step. "A journey of a thousand miles..." From now on though, you will have many hands to hold.

Peace and Serenity,

warrens
Pebbles, I can really relate to you i.e. similar socio-economic upbringing, Ivy league engineering degree, CIO and partner of a private company.
Warrens makes incredible sense (to me): addition is an EOE
After 10 years I finally deceided to do something about it and go to AA meetings everyday. Sadly, still not sober, however, the people I have met are winners. I so wish to be like them.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ooopppsss!!! Damn...

Well I am sure by my heading you can tell I already used. Can't even go two days. This is really hard for me. On an up note - I am trying to find a meeting today (ASAP) to get to (waiting for a call back from local NA right now). Just checking in with ya'll to let you know - I feel like your support will maybe help me. Thank you all!!!!!!