Notices

AA Too much drama?

Old 03-02-2008, 02:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey Sport,
If you are alcoholic, it's not the drama that you & I have in common. It is what happens when you drink. If you need more after you start, and can't seem to stay away from alcohol, then that is what you & I have in common. Your drama may not be my drama or vice versa.

That is why I don't talk about my drama in meetings. I know there is at least one person in the room who is thinking "If that is what it takes to be alcoholic, then I must not be one." The things we think should join us actually seperate us.
Jim
Old 03-02-2008, 02:08 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1963comet View Post
When I went to my first AA meetings years ago, that is most of what I heard was horror stories. Sometimes Drama gets to much attention.
I'm not interested in drunkalogues. They don't really get my attention or interest. Same with grandiose summations of how their life has changed because of coming to AA (especially when I know the person well enough to say that it's BS). What I listen to now is anything that can help me work the steps better and get healthy. Everything else is worthless to me.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR 353

Originally Posted by 353 View Post
I believe most people that stay sober have the answers inside themselves and just need to sound them out, in a meeting or with a sponsor. I know that's how it works for me....JMO
I agree wholeheartedly with you, feel the same way. Of course that it's always enlightening to have input from others - this community has brought such richness to my current bout of sobriety that I sense that I'm in it for the long run this time around

Hope to hear more from you, read a lot, post a lot

Take care,

Matt
Old 03-02-2008, 04:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi Sportster,

Your story is just that your story and is valid and in the sharing will touch and help people including you. No need to have certain elements to be vaild, somone here mentioned hearing about recovery as well and thats true but of course at first we don't have much, so just tell it as it is and you will be amazed.

Kevin
Old 03-02-2008, 04:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nandm
There are many people who are able to find AA before the things like DUI's, bankruptcy, car wrecks, jail, etc.... You are one of the fortunate ones.
Which leads to the point - a lot of people in meetings may be there because they were forced to by courts, therapy of other varieties, spouses, etc... so you attending is a good thing, it gives you an idea of what could happen if your habits were worse - ha!

You can always start off with 'sorry this is so boring...' Note that at least speaking up once, will allow you to feel a little more at ease with the rest of the group, and the group more at ease with you.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

353 ......Hello and Welcome!