Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Soliciting Tips for the newbie: Dealing with the sudden burst of anxiety

Notices

Old 02-27-2008, 10:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So how do you manage the sudden rush of anxiety when all of the numbing meds are out of your system? I know the usual responses: exercise, read, move, do something, do anything, just move. Refocus.

I would LOVE TO!! But how do you kick-start yourself? And in a related question... How do you balance work and recovery? If you work 9-10 hours a day... is it as simple as a change in priorities? Even if my office would prefer that my priorities stay the same (9-10+ hours which just encourages my desire for meds)...

Continue to be thankful for this site! Everyone has been very warm.

Still trying to figure out my mantra...
Old 02-27-2008, 10:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Even if my office would prefer that my priorities stay the same (9-10+ hours which just encourages my desire for meds)
Is it the priorities/workload that are one of the trigger mechanisms that cause you a problem in dealing with it? If so, then perhaps reshuffling of things will help you.

Doing anything other than the dope is preferable to the dope (sleep/read/watch movie/get away from depressing things). Me - drink coffee, eat ice cream. May gain a bit of weight, but I don't mind it if I'm sober.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think, that if the anxiety is 'painful' enough, you will want to do something to help with it. And, yes, there are no magic answers for getting through it, other than things like you mentioned. Walking helped me a lot and my pets, too.

I had to make big changes in my life in order to stay sober. I couldn't continue in the frenetic, unconscious way I had been living. Have you considered changing your job and doing something that was less stressful? I do know that recovery has to be a priority.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had to change things about my life. I no longer volunteer for things that take away from my sobriety (during my meeting times, or family times). I took a job at the beginning of this past summer and when my HP said it was time, I quit. I had to change so many things about my life to stay sober. I can't talk to my father when he has been drinking, I can't drink some types of beverages because they taste like alcohol (even if they have none in them) and I cannot take the pain medication after they yank my teeth.

Today my children trust me. My husband knows that he has no worries when he leaves in the morning to go to work (at least not about their safety with me). My husband knows that any pill we have in our home is not narcotic. He can count my antidepressants any time he wants and knows that any money he gives me I will come home with a receipt.

I think the only thing that I've ever gotten a little riled over is when I have to dump a cup of coffee because the syrup of the day tastes like an alcoholic drink. That.makes.me a little mad. Then I get a laugh and go home and make a pot of my own.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, I'm on "numbing" meds (benzos prescribed and closely monitored by pdoc), but I can think of a couple of things that help my bouts of anxiety when I'm med-free:

* Breathing exercises - sounds lame, but sometimes anxiety can be caused by not breathing properly (too much carbon dioxide in the bloodstream). Try to train yourself to breathe from your belly.

* Doodling on a piece of paper - weird, but after a few minutes of this I get so distracted that I forget about my anxiety.

* Meditation

* My least favourite-tried-and-true anxiety reducer: drop caffeine altogether (grumble, I love coffee)

For what it's worth, I actually quite dislike benzos: yes they block the anxiety, but they also shut off all other feelings as well.

My mantra: "I am here now. Thank you." That's during the day, they get more complicated while meditating lol

Hope this helps,

Matt
btw, welcome to SR
Old 02-28-2008, 05:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great advice - I'm going to try meditation and I'm going to join a gym on my way home tonight. Speaking of meditation - love the image on your signature Mattcake - looks like my childhood home in Florida. Now that is a perfect spot for sitting, breathing, centering. I'm feeling nostalgic.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh - and Anna - I'm bringing home a new puppy next week. I won't need motivation to walk anymore! I'll be walking regularly... whether I want to or not. And will probably reap the benefits...