Notices

Newcomer or not, introduce yourself!

Old 02-29-2008, 06:16 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Hi!
I'm a recovering benzo abuser/alcoholic/gambler/general addict.
I just like this forum because there are so many people who understand me and their's lots of advice going around.
:ghug3
Old 02-29-2008, 09:47 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

HI, it's me again! I'd like to also welcome new friends and say hello to old ones. For anyone who hasn't heard these Promises, I'd like to share them with you. For those who have been Blessed with these Gifts, I know for me, I can never hear them too much!

The Promises of Alcoholics Anonymous

If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are halfway through.

We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness.

We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.

We will comprehend the word Serenity and we will know peace.

No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others.

That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear.

We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows.

Self-seeking will slip away.

Our whole attitude and outlook upon life with change.

Fear of people and economic insecurity will leave us.

We will intuitively know how to handle situations that used to baffle us.

We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us-sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them.

Alcoholics Anonymous Big Book
Fourth Edition
pages 83/84

Old 02-29-2008, 10:01 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Thank you for posting that, SQ! I never tire of hearing the Promises, and they're not extravagant at all. They definitely materialized for me!
Old 02-29-2008, 11:06 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Progress Not Perfection

Hi I'm Growing...I am a recovering adult child of alcoholics...this is recovery round 2 for me...I had a severe codie slip of 2yrs where I was away from the program...life became unmanageable...as it always will if you don't watch it...basically I thought I was "recovered" HA!!! I don't regret it....have learned alot about myself and am working recovery for the first time...for real. I read somewhere on SR that this place is for all types of newcomers...I am really impressed with the quality of the info shared here. I like hearing about how the program works...I need it. My drug of choice is toxic people...thanks for letting me share...growing up with both parents being alcoholic...and my relatives alcoholics/addicts...and me being an addictive personality...I really get good things from this section of SR....THANKS!!!
Old 02-29-2008, 12:48 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

My name is Skye, and after finding this site I stayed sober NEARLY two full months. Had a bad day yesterday, but that will not deter me from staying sober today and tomorrow and for all the tomorrows to come. I love SR and all the people here and am grateful for the support, friendship and love. I really love to see the bonds between people and the friendships that are formed and am especially grateful for the ones that have been given to me. And it's funny because I know that even if I've not talked to one of you here, I'm sure that in some way through someone else here, we've all touched.

Love abounds.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:00 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I don't want this thread to die with me! Posting to put it back in the list.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:19 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Hello I'm Ermine I'm new here and its good to be here. I live in the South of France. English speaking meetings are few & far between. I'm a Publisher by career, but teach English and have lived in all kinds of Places like Sydney, Hong Kong, Paris now back to the south. I'm an alcoholic. Going through the BB in meetings and learning my 12 steps. I've only just one year decided to earnestly make an effort at LIFE as I know it's worth it. Booze ain't.Unfortunately I do not have a sponsor which can be a struggle the whole darn thing is a struggle. But I have a supportive husband. Nevertheless, my intention into coming into this forum is to listen learn and be able to ask questions. Its not been easy its sober day 8 after many bouts of ins and outs. I do find the AA fellowship doing me the best and this forum of course.

Thanks
Old 03-04-2008, 05:19 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hi, am an alcoholic. Drank from my late teens, always a black-out binger from day one. Got worse and worse as the years went by. Dozens of horrible incidents, tons of wasted money, destroyed relationships, missed opportunities, worsening reputation, nasty accidents and police-incidents didn't stop me. Tried to stop a zillion times, couldn't, didn't. Stopped for a few months, started again. More incidents, more embarrassement, more self-loathing. You all know the score.

Never quite got to drinking round the clock 365, living on the street or totally f***ing up my life, but I was well on the way - I could see where I was headed. Stopped somehow - with AA and SR - about 18 months ago. Now I don't go to AA too often. Happy as a pig in sh*t to be sober.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:31 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

hello

353 is an alcoholic from SW Ohio. New to SR with a sobriety date of 11-2-05.

353 is shorthand for my program. It's a number I picture in my mind when things seem to get overwhelming. I say seem because that's nearly always what the problem is, my mind likes to "seem". My eyes see the world and my mind likes to think I'm the center of the universe and everything in my world, including the actions of others, are somehow my responsibility.

3 is the 3rd step ....I made a decision to turn my will and my life over to the care of God, as I understand Him.

53 is a reference to the most important paragraph in the BB for me..."When we became alcoholics, crushed by a self-imposed crisis we could not postpone or evade, we had to fearlessly face the proposition that either God is everything or else He is nothing. God either is, or He isn't. What was our choice to be?"

If I could choose God and stay there I would be fine but my ego has trouble with such a simple concept. 353 is an ego check for me. 353 reminds me that I have decided God is everything and leads to the question, the most important question. Where is God? If God is everything He must be here, in this other person or in this situation, somewhere.

God can't just be the things I like or the things that please me, God is everything, even things I don't like.

About 3 months into sobriety I began writing down my thoughts in verse and two years later I'm on the verge of releasing a CD of what I call my God Songs. This project has been a huge part of my spiritual program. If you want to hear these songs.... myspace.com/christian353

God's Peace
Old 07-05-2008, 07:42 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ROFL View Post
I don't want this thread to die with me! Posting to put it back in the list.
You got it, ROFL (I can't believe I'm the first new member since March...?)

My username is, eh, ironic. I'm a 44-year-old alcoholic, wasted about 10 or 12 years in semi-'functioning' denial. You can get away with that for quite a long time, here in Ireland.

I'm nearly two years sober now, with the help of AA — and despite a worrisome tendency to hang onto my old delusions of self-control. I'm trying as hard as I can to learn to hand things over and get a HP into my life, but I have this stubborn rationalist-atheist (recovering Catholic?) streak in me that makes that really tough for me. Ergo, I am my own worst enemy and, lately, I've been feeling pretty depressed. For little real reason. Of course, that just makes me feel worse about myself...

I've been lurking around here for a little while and I finally thought I'd better register and start posting a bit. Some friends in AA (and elsewhere) have told me how writing stuff down helped them. So, with your indulgence, etc. I hope to do this now and again instead of letting stuff fester.

You have been warned...
Old 07-05-2008, 08:10 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I posted this in the 12 days and under thread and then I realized it might be the wrong spot so I'm copying it over here.

Hello Everyone,

Total newbie here. I woke up yesterday morning at 4:30am and decided I didn't want to drink anymore. So I got on the internet and found this site and have been reading it all day. I finally got the courage to post.

I've been drinking almost everyday for months. I tend to get angry and damage things (cars, etc) when I drink, I never remember much the next day and the worse part is that I have two little ones who watch me do this day in and day out. My husband won't come home until I stop drinking.

So I'm on day two. I'm experiencing a lot of anxiety and feel quite miserable emotionally but I'm not experiencing anything physical (yet). I'm also terribly bored...I'm usually drinking by now and surfing the internet. Feels like I can't breath.

This isn't the first time I quit drinking. Last winter I got into some trouble and ended up having to do alcohol and drug screenings for 3 months. I quit with no problem. I'm hoping this time will be close to the same.

Btw, I suffer from bi-polar and major depression. I started drinking to self medicate because I didn't have health insurance and I didn't know about all the free services out there.

Anyhow, thanks for reading!

Antara
Old 07-05-2008, 08:33 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Welcome to the SR forum thebossofme and Antara,

This is a great place to see recovery in action and know you're not alone.

The only thing I really know for sure is that I'll never be the person I want to be while putting alcohol and drugs into my system, that makes me an alcoholic. A big part of my online time is spent reading this site, it's a blessing for me.

Peace to you
Old 07-05-2008, 08:43 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Hi,

My names John and I'm a Happy Alcoholic for five months now. Happy because once I admitted it to myself and joined AA I started to live again. Still going through the death throws (five months and counting) of my marriage after 22 years, hence the name 22ngone, my lawyer tells me we're close but I don't think so seeing as how I still see a positive balance in my savings account.

I have two wonderful daughters 17 and 14 and a Rescue Greyhound named Cleopatra. I'm from Cleveland, Ohio originally but due to urban flight in the 70's moved to the "burbs" 30 miles South in Medina, Ohio. Love my Indians (even though it looks like this year is going down the tubes), my Browns and my Cavaliers! I collect weapons, modern day pistols and rifles but I'm really into restoring and shooting rifles from World War II.

I am retired from the U.S. Navy after 24 years of service, been all over the world, my two favorite places ever being Perth, Australia and Corfu, Greece. Currently working for the Navy as a civilian and thank God I had a great Commanding Officer who stuck by me through some tough times, including a suicide attempt (didn't handle the I'm leaving you after 22 years speech from the wife well) and my telling him I'm an Alcoholic.

Currently I'm active in AA, I LOVE IT, I've made so many friends! I also try to do my part to help others whenever I can both in Church and in AA. I love to run, currently up to 4 miles every other day working towards running 10K's again, haven't done that since I was stationed in Boston, MA. Oh yeah, I've lived in Yokosuka, Japan, Pensacola, Florida, Jacksonville, Florida, Boston, Massachusetts and Ocean Springs, Misssissippi through my career. I love SR and try to post and be helpful to others as much as I can.

Thanks for reading,

John
Old 07-05-2008, 10:44 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Hi 353 and John, thanks for the warm welcome.

I hope all works out for you as well. As for me, I'm only on day 2 and while I'm not particularly craving alcohol, I'm under a ton of stress with family, basically hated by my husband whole family besides a few, and it's causing a lot of tears. It's nice to be here because I can read other people's stories and not worry about my problems for a while.

Wishing the best,

A
Old 07-05-2008, 10:57 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
sct

My name is Rae and I'm an addict.

I'm 20 years old, and I have a little over six months clean at this point, with NA. I was pretty hardcore in my using, so I'm also hardcore in my recovery.

I'm also diagnosed as ocd, borderline, avoidant personality, socially phobic and have ptsd- most of which isn't that uncommon among addicts But I also see a counselor for that, and I'm working on it. It also wouldn't have occurred to me to get counseling without NA so- something else to be grateful for.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:25 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Welcome Rae, and congrats on being clean for 6 months!!!

Old 07-05-2008, 08:07 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm a 42 year old (when did THAT happen? lol) mother of 2 wonderful kids (a son, 16, and a daughter, 8)
I was recently widowed (3 mths ago) when my partner of 23 years died after an illness of a few years.
I've been drinking to excess for about 10 yrs now, and working very hard to get myself back to good. It's been very hard, with the grieving, but I feel very motivated, since I am now the only parent my kids have, and I simply have to get it together and take care of myself for their sake, at the very least. But yes, for me first and foremost. As hard as it can be at times to realize, I can have a good life beyond this point.

I enjoy movies, reading, writing, music, painting, and so much more.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:44 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 07-05-2008, 09:40 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
What an eye-opener!

My name is Nadia and I joined SR yesterday. I quit drinking April 08' when I entered detox for serious alcohol withdrawal. It scared the sh#t out of me and I thought I was dying. I got a wake-up call that I was slowly killing myself and I was going to end up like my mother (GOD rest her soul) if I didn't do something about this addiction. She died alone from alcohol abuse when she was 36 years old. My dad is also an alcoholic. As I was growing up in Miami, Fl., I would go to work with him during the summers and visit his local liquor store with him everyday. Even as I got older i would run to the store for him and we would drink together.
My drinking didn't become a problem until a couple of years ago when instead of socially drinking I started using it as self medication. I started drinking first thing in the morning, had to take a couple of shots before I went and did ANYTHING, I even showed up to my oldest daughter's school events buzzed. I even started to get daring and drive intoxicated with my girls in my car. WTF! I hate looking at those days because they are so embarrassing and thoughtless.
Now I have the chance to start a fresh new life for myself. I'm happy to be here and be able to share my thoughts and find others that let me know I'm not alone.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:23 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
contemplating

Unhappy just joined

Hi:

I stumbled on this site last night when i was trying to figure out how to go out with a friend and NOT end up plastered. I went out, and of course i drank too much. I am new to this idea of quitting. I am 28 years old and live in Atlanta, Georgia. Everyone I know hangs out at bars---but when i realized i cannot consider a weekend without drinking....i started to consider i might be on the path to alcoholism. I dont drink every day, but when i do i have no sense of moderation...end up doing stupid things...feeling sick at work...and hating myself. So im not really sure what to do. I am a professional, and i hate the 12 step models of treatment. Not sure what "pre-alcoholics" do for treatment. Im not dependent and dont need detox---just to figure out other things to do to fill my time besides alcohol......any suggestions welcomed!