Notices

Newcomer or not, introduce yourself!

Old 02-26-2008, 08:21 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
let it grow!

GREAT TO SEE ALL THE NEW FOLKS ON THIS THREAD!

i'm k - codependent mom of a young adult daughter - not in recovery from alcohol/cocaine addiction. alanon helps. so does the support of my family,friends, and everyone here at sr.

i like music, art, gardening, cooking, walking, and pestering people

hugs, k

KEEP COMING BACK!
Old 02-26-2008, 08:32 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Shani, welcome to SR! Seems to me like you're doing just fine on getting around here, and there's plenty of good folks here who will help if you have any questions.

Congrats on your 11 days, that's a wonderful start and I hope you find whatever it takes to stay sober.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:33 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by parentrecovers View Post
i like music, art, gardening, cooking, walking, and pestering people

hugs, k
You're a pest in the best way!

We love you k!
Old 02-26-2008, 09:15 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Thanks for the thread Astro.

Hello everyone I am Matt and I am an alcoholic,

I am 35 and a chef (although I am in the process in becoming a student). I had used drugs and alcohol for most of my life. I live in a typical Midwestern town with my dog and some animals I am babysitting, never been married and have no kids.

I found SR when I first began to look for recovery. Although I am in a shell still, I have grown in my recovery because of SR. Thank you for the people I have met and everyone's posts. I have been changing my life and it has a lot to do with the things I have read here.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:26 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Connie here......Clean & Sober since 8/23/97......glad to see all of you here.....

Screen name...well....didn't know really what I was doing when I got here. Found it by accident but damn glad I did.

Been in & out of treatment centers, jail, hospitals......now just makin AA meetings.....not as many as I'd like, I have a 3 1/2 yr old daughter. Single parenting at the ripe young age of 46 is tough ya'll!!!!

Got an older daughter too and a grandson to boot! Life's a trip. God's definitely been takin care of me/us.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:55 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

lulu2

Hi

After 25 years or so this Sunday I finally admitted to myself that I am an alcoholic. I feel relieved and very scared all at the same time and although my fiance is so supportive I know I will need more help. Alcohol has been my escape for years and I don't know how I am going to get through without it although it has caused severe problems in my life.

I have been looking around the SR site for hours today and realise I am not alone in the way I feel but still feel very nervous about opening up to other people in case they think less of me but I know deep down that doing so is the only way I am going to move forward.

I hope that joining SR is going to help me get through what I know is going to be a difficult time and I am really looking forward to "talking" to you all.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:59 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hey welcome to SR lulu, I hope you find comfort and support here, as well as in other programs of recovery. Lots of good people here so keep reaching out!
Old 02-26-2008, 10:05 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Thank you for this Astro! It is always fun to do-

Indy you are just beautiful

Thank you everyone for sharing..it is great to learn about our SR Family!

I must say SR is my second home as well-I have survived some pretty tuff days as we all have and SR just seems to make life a bit brighter on those days!

I'm a codie at it's best! Finally decided when I was with my last XABF that it was time to stop wasting my life on "what if"....My husband "normie" died after 2 months of marriage and I never thought since I grew up in an alcoholic home that I deserved anything better-since at the time I felt God took away myonly saving grace (my beautiful husband) Growing up life was chaos with 6 brothers (1 drug addict/alkie, 3 alkies) and 2 sisters! An alkie father and mother and mom with issues (mentally). And 4 parents actually that all drank and acted like KIDS!
So I braved through the storm-"survived" and decided one day that I wanted to LIVE!

I love recovery....I love SR....I love pestering K ......I love LIFE!

I just started my own Avon business, I'm an office manager by day-I enjoy the gym,dancing, horseback riding,cooking,skiing, scrapbooking, hanging with friends-and my 17 year old (in a 5 year body) dog Samantha (Lhasa Apso)

Ok done now.....PHEW!
Old 02-26-2008, 10:06 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hi I am 44 this July (how did that happen?) I live with my 'normal' wonderful partner of 8 years in the UK. I worked full time for 25 years in Local Government and took voluntary redundacy about 1 and half years ago. I am now trying to work up the courage to get back to work! I have a great network around me. I like reading and music - a wide variety of genres (including S King!) - theatre, films, art, knitting recently.

I have no children, my choice , but I have a wonderful niece (11) and nephew(14) and fate 'got me'!, it made me a 'step granny' - my partner has two grandchildren, 9 and 5, cute, lovely..and a handful!! His daughter is single so we help out ASAP. My partner is a bit older than me (55) and his daughter
(28) sees me as both step mum and mate..a hard balance sometimes I can tell you!

I am struggling with getting sober, tried and failed a few times. On day 2, again. Started therapy now, to deal with many underlying infuences as well as drinking, so much hope. Finding great support and making good friends here...thanks SR.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:16 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Kickit View Post
I am struggling with getting sober, tried and failed a few times. On day 2, again. Started therapy now, to deal with many underlying infuences as well as drinking, so much hope. Finding great support and making good friends here...thanks SR.
Glad that you're back and on day 2 Kickit. There's definitely so much hope to be shared here, I hope you find your way to long-lasting sobriety.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:15 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Scott, great thread!!

Lets see, I'm a recovering pot head and co-dependant, have Bipolar 2, fibromyalgia and Osteoarthritis and an addicted 24 yr old daughter... My sobriety date is July/2003

I love SR and all the wonderful people here who live the real life and come here faithfully everyday to share it.....this board has been the gentle catalyst for me in discovering the flaming codie that I am....

I love gardening, nature in any form, and my spiritual work is my compass...

J

Last edited by grateful2b; 02-26-2008 at 12:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-26-2008, 12:24 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hello all I'm just a self taught alcoholic fool that has been drinking too much for the last 10 years. Now I'm hoping to give it up for good so I can live long and prosper. Day 6 and counting.
Thanks.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:26 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Hi! My "username" is Angelina243 and I am a grateful recovering alcoholic/addict. I have a background in veterinary medicine--I have worked as a registered veterinary technician in the state of Texas for about 10 years now. I also as hobbies love to sing, listen to music, and watch/play basketball. I have a teenage son--who I love dearly. I am starting to re-build my relationship with him>alcohol/drugs robbed us of some very meaningful quality time together. Anyway--I love everyone here and could not ask for a better online recovery support system.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:21 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hi, my name is Carol and I am an alcoholic, a perscription drug addict and an ACOA oh, and also a CoD.

I am married to a normie and have two children who are the light of my life.

I am greatful for every day sober. I've been here on SR for awhile, but read more than I post. I enjoy it so much here though and everytime I need it, SR's is here.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:33 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Hi. My name is GT and I'm an alcoholic.

While its true that I've done my share of drug experimentation in the past, all of that ended shortly after high school. Alcohol has always been my problem, and protecting my "right to drink" used to be at the heart of my denial.

This is my first attempt at recovery. I'm one of those who did have a "white light" experience, and for me "a daily reprieve contigent on my spiritual condition" isn't just a trite saying. I'm coming up on 20 months, and every month life gets a little bit better. I firmly believe in service work. I'm a natural isolator, (blame it on my upbringing).

I refuse to 13th Step. "...Never fish your own pond, son..."

I'm former US Navy. I firmly believe that travel broadens the mind. I love to read, enjoy watching DVD's, and I think about stuff a lot.

Oh yeah, I also have this "computer thing" going on.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:26 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by resistra View Post
Hello all I'm just a self taught alcoholic fool that has been drinking too much for the last 10 years. Now I'm hoping to give it up for good so I can live long and prosper. Day 6 and counting.
Thanks.
Welcome to SR, resistra! 6 days is great, keep counting cuz that's how we do it, one precious day at a time!
Old 02-26-2008, 02:48 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

That's GREAT!! 6 Days, if I can get to 11 days you can absolutely do this
Old 02-26-2008, 03:53 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
cmc

Hi,
Thanks Scott for starting this thread; I've enjoyed reading all about my old and new friends.

I am a recovering codie, happily married with three grown kids. It's so nice to give up taking care of everybody else and start taking care of me. Life's alot better this way and my recovery helps me face life's challenges and disappointments without losing my mind. Well...I have lost it a few times but it always turns up somewhere...with help from my HP I can usually find it in Alanon or here on SR.

I'll save all the other details about me for my autobiography.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:57 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Hi, my name is Cathy and I am an Alcoholic. I will celebrate 14 years clean and sober in April. I am a Service/Parts Manager at an Auto Repair Shop, a job I LOVE! I have a 12 year old Son who I am blessed to say, has never known a Mom who drinks, but who knows I am in recovery. When I first got sober, I wondered how I would ever have fun without drinking....now I realize I wasn't having fun drunk and that having fun sober is a total blast!!! I thank everyone here, because all of you help me not to pick up...one more day.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:34 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Name is Jen and this is my first official 'blog'. I am an addict. That's a first, too. Saying it. My partner of six years has discovered that yet again she is missing medication and I'm dealing with the guilt associated with that. But I know that it has to feel bad enough to kick me into action. And I'll get to feel the punishment tonight by sleeping on the couch. I've been kicked!
I'm in my mid-thirties and except for this nagging addiction thing, rest of my life is pretty good. I cannot wait to experience life without the guilt associated with this behavior. I've been reading blogs for about 2 hours now and I envy those who have put days, months, years in between their last use.
I have to hope there are blue skies ahead! And thank you, thank you, thank you to this blog for giving me something else to do tonight besides self-loathe.