Notices

Newcomer or not, introduce yourself!

Old 02-25-2008, 04:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, I'm an alcoholic, which is a comorbid (sp?) illness along with my schizoaffective disorder (schizophrenia + bi-polar disease.) I love to go to the beach and to go jogging. I quit drinking on my own for 6 six months, but then came back to SR after relapsing and I'm thinking of going the AA route this time.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I am Trish.... Addict.

I am a little over 2 mos clean AND sober for the first time in I couldnt tell you.
I did everything I possibly could for almost 13 years not knowingly to try and kill myself slowly. For no reason at all. Just liked getting high and being irresponsible.
Last year was my first attempt at recovery and I failed so terribly that I made a very serious a close attempt on my own life purposly. That was wake up call #1...Still got high anyway. Oh pity me I am an addict so I got a free pass to do whatever I want. Thats what I thought.

After all the extremes I have gone to in my addiction and the many very close calls with death not until this past November when my family disconnected from me for the first time ever did it really effect me. I never..I mean never ever want to feel like I did when they wouldnt talk to me, answer my calls, help me, come get me, NOTHING!
That was a very first ever. And I went into treatment and have been doing my best to stay on my path to recovery and just in a short time I am seeing big changes.

Now I love to spend time with my family and do outdoorsy things. I love and I mean LOVE sitting by the beach. Especially at night.

I am a rambler too. Sorry.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm sandra and I'm an alcoholic. I have been sober 40 days. With the help of you guys I have been able to abstain from alcohol and smoking. This is the hardest thing I have ever had to do but I haven't regretted it since I began. For those of you who feel hopeless there is hopeless. for those of you who think peace is unobtainable it is within your reach but you must seek it out. Stick around here for encouragement and support. We care and love you here. Now love yourself.:ghug3
Old 02-25-2008, 04:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the thread, Scott!

My name is Lynn and I'm a 40 year old recovering alcoholic and addict. I have 19 months clean and sober this go 'round. I have been divorced for a long time and have two daughters who are 15 and 12. I haven't seen my eldest in 3 years due to my alcoholism and long-term depression, but I am hoping that changes one day. My 12 year old and I are very close and live together with two dogs and two cats. I am in a relatively new relationship with a normie who is wonderful and who I have fallen in love with. I love to read and to go for long walks. I love spending time alone, or to spend time with a friend over coffee, talking about life and good books we have read.
SR has been a big part of my life for some time now, and I have made some lasting friendships here. I go to AA also, and building connections with other recovering people has saved my life - literally.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:56 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Is anyone else feeling all warm and fuzzy inside?:ghug2
Old 02-25-2008, 05:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I definitely am. Thank God for SR.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:05 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

HI my name is Beth and Im an addict to anything addictive.

I dont live on the beach or on a farm, but I would sure love to cause I love the outdoors and all the activities that come with it excluding sky diving and swimming with sharks.

Not a big fan of snakes either, but I love animals. I have a cat that I love dearly. Probably too much cause sometimes I make decisions about my life to make sure he is safe that might not be in MY best interest.

Im also a musician. Im known for singing and playing the guitar, but I really love the drums.

Was an anthropology major with a minor in religion till my downfall, but im only 18 credits from a BA and I intend on going back in Sept.

Love to read when I can see straight mostly non fiction.

Im 46
Old 02-25-2008, 05:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi .

I used to drink. Now I don't.

There's more to me than that but that's the key thing at the moment.

* Oh yeah... I live with Dee .
Old 02-26-2008, 01:43 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

*So thats where you went! The kids miss you dear.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:56 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

gotta love that 13th step....it's a doozy

D
Old 02-26-2008, 02:27 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

hey,

I'm Julian and i'm an addict. For the last six months í've been coming to this site on and off...depending wether i'm back to smoking weed again or not...

I'm 24, and I started smoking when I was just 14. I did some partydrugs throughout the years too, but I managed to kick that habit more then a year ago.

I finished college last year, and i'm working fulltime nowadays.

Been living a double life, lately this is getting to me.
Loosing my cool and wits.

Anyways, the bright side is that I keep fighting this terrible disease. I just keep on coming back..

When i'm sober and I have some time to spare I like to go to the gym, and spend time on the couch playing videogames, watching DVD's, reading etc. I used to be a creative hobby person (music, photography, writing), but that stuff kinda died out when I started working. Maybe it'll come back when I got some recovery time, but I kinda lost the urge to be creative. Maybe it's the extensive forum-reflection i'm into lately.

peace,
Old 02-26-2008, 02:46 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm Ann, who didn't choose an interesting board name because I had no idea what a message board was when I came here almost 6 years ago.

I'm the mom of an addict, lost in his addiction somewhere, and I am grateful for the program, fellowship and a loving God who gave me my life back and to whom I entrust my son every day.

SR is my second home also, I learn every day here and love sharing the light of all the wonderful people who walk with me on this journey of recovery and who make me smile almost every day.

SoberRecovery is a magical place of miracles, so if you're new then stick around and one day soon you will find yours.

Hugs
Old 02-26-2008, 03:13 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm Linda, a codie/enabler. Married 9 yrs, have 2 grown kids, one a recovering A for 17 mos. Four dogs from sm to lg, live 10 min from N.Padre Island. Love to read almost anything, fish bbq and a lot more I've probably forgotten I like to do since it's been so long.
Mom was an A,had stroke got dry died from strokes at 64, sister was a adict, got clean, went back one time had massive stroke, died at 44, leaving 7 childern. Hubby is an A who now has pancratic cancer maybe caused by 35 yrs of drinking. I was his drinking buddy for a long time til I just wasn't anymore.User name reflects how I was feeling at the time I found SR and still do to some extent but I'm working on that. Glad I'm part of the wonderful family of SR.:ghug2
Old 02-26-2008, 03:31 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hello, my name is Dawn. I am 41 married to a Police officer here in NY and we have 2 children. I work with the elderly, a job that I truly love. I love to read and I am a martial artist working towards testing for my black belt.

I like what gypsy said...I use to drink now I don't! LOL 9 months and holding strong!
Old 02-26-2008, 04:48 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Kevin drug addict have'nt used any drugs today or for a few days now.

Live near Melbourne

Work as a Designer/Programmer in Melbourne

Have a 22 year old daughter, 2 Weimarreners and a house on 40 acres (House not finished still! but liveable)

2 years and 9 months ago I came out of a 9 year relaspe and found SR that day, have been here ever since and am graetful to be here.

I was a member of the walking dead and now I sing with Joy. No longer live in fear and anger just for today I live in peace (much of the time) I get this from being with and around other addicts in recover and through them an ever growing connection with a God of my understanding.

How about you?

Kevin
Old 02-26-2008, 06:40 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

~C ... 37 year old alcoholic in Michigan!~

Mom, sister, friend, wife, daughter, .....

I found this board 36 days ago and it likely will save/has saved my life.

I have no CLUE where I came up with this screen name -- I was paralyzed with fear and emotion when I created it... but i CAN tell you that Nogard ((((KEVIN)))) came up with my TOW nickname -- and up to that point, I was "ONLY" or "ONLYWAY"...... lol

Had I not found these friends on that day, I probably wouldn't be sitting here this morning. I would likely be home in bed avoiding my hang over, wondering what is wrong with me, not wanting to KNOW what is wrong with me, and planning when my next drink and fun --- & would be and avoiding my LIFE.

Currently between employments due to "giving up" and going back "out there" several months ago.

Today I am "dealing with" and "re-creating" my life...

At the end of today, I will have 37~ 24's and a LOT of work left to do...

There are so many people here that I have to thank for so many DIFFERENT 24's... and 24's to come... They know who you are, and if you're reading this, it may be you, or you may be next.

Every time I log into SR, I find a new reason to be sober, a new reason to be thankful that I am sober, or a new reason for being here--

I am married to my 2nd "non-normie"... (my mother's currently on her 3rd, so far my goal is to NOT keep up...) ;-) He has an 8 year old and a 11 year old that we have EVERY OTHER DAY!! ...that's a whole nother thread...

I have the most FABULOUS 9 1/2 year old daughter that has often made my life worth living. I have been recently given parental POA and residency of my AWESOME 14 year old niece. My sister is a highly addicted, non-functioning adult that is thus far one of the "such unfortunates" we hear about in How It Works... Which is why my niece now lives with me. I'm trying VERY hard to live upto the "image" of the great mom most people believe me to be.

I'm struggling with re-creating my life here in soberiety (with AA and SR) without completely disassembling it FIRST... which is my strong instinct/urge.

Because I'm here, because YOU'RE here, I have HOPE...

THAT is my story. I have hope...

~C
Old 02-26-2008, 07:06 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi All,
I'm Chris and I have a drink problem. I have looked through the thread and can't seem to find anyone from England, so I`m the first! My interests are anything out doors and especially windsurfing (Going to egypt in 3 weeks....can`t wait!!). I have been dry now for just coming up to 4 months and am really impressed with myself for going this long.

This place has helped me through some bad times.

I would love to chat with anyone, so don`t be shy PM me!
:ghug3

Kind regards
Old 02-26-2008, 07:26 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm Annie, came to SR quite a few years back, nearly dead from drink/drugs, my first name on SR was Aspire as I was aspiring to get clean and sober, I am still clean and sober now and changed my name soon after. I am happily partnered to a "normie" have four children 3 boys and 1 girl. I have a genetically inherited disability and so do 2 of my children, my youngest son is 26 on feb 28 and he has a mental age of about 3/4 years he is my joy. My daughter has the same genetic condition and is also bipolar, I have not seen her for many years and miss her very much. My eldest son is bipolar and addicted to coke/alcohol and abuses his meds he is in detox again at the moment and my middle son is a "normie" although I don't know how he copes given his upbringing, still he is a lovely human being. I have too many pets to name cats, dogs chickens, ducks fish etc. I struggle each day with my mental difficiencies and have ADD and autistic tendancies so I get my head read every 2 weeks and it keeps me grounded. I am French with English and Irish links. And I am trying to find a place in this world where I can be me. SR accepted me like a family would and I will be forever grateful. Thank you for listening.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:31 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by serenityqueen View Post
Is anyone else feeling all warm and fuzzy inside?:ghug2
I am! And that's what I appreciate most about threads like this. I love the humour, the heartbreak, the common interests, the honesty, and all the other experiences that we share every day on SR. In the rooms of AA I've heard the sounds of our talk and laughter called "the music of AA", so I want to thank all of you for filling my life with your music every day. It's a sound I love to hear!

We're all so amazing and unique in our own special ways, but I'm grateful for the similarities that bring us together in recovery! :ghug2
Old 02-26-2008, 07:36 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I'm Shani, not very imaginative picking a user name! Probably since I have pickled most of my brain cells, I had to use something i could remember easily. I just found this site yesterday, so please bear with me if I jump into a "post", "thread" or "blog" I shouldn't be getting into. It'll take me some time to learn how to navagate around If anyone could help me, figure this out that would be great...
I am a 36 year old alcoholic. I also have 2 really wonderful children, I've been married for 13 years and have a "zoo" 2 cats, 2 dogs, 2 betas & 2 gerbils. Noah's ark, right?
I haven't had a drink in 11 days, I'm a little shaky this morning. Uggg... I've tried to stop on my own, but I usually break in about a month. I can't do this alone.
I've read some of the posts & this seems like what I've been searching for.
:praying