Notices

Really struggling with thoughts and...

Old 02-25-2008, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Really struggling with thoughts and...

ANXIETY....big time...I feel like I've traded my alcoholism for hypochondria...All of a sudden I'm acutely aware of every ache and pain...every swollen whatever...every everything, if you know what I mean. My doctor has diagnosed OCD and severe GAD...clearly the symptoms I'm experiencing and that must be related but its hard...panic attacks EVERY DAY...the chest pains, numbness, feeling like a heart attack...the gastrointestinal stuff...its awful and scary...I can't friggin' relax...then I get all sad and melancholy...the whole " what about my wife and kids when I'm dead" head trip...its really debilitating....muscle tension...the s*** never ends...barely functional at work...racing thoughts...you get the picture. Any thoughts or ideas or comments? I'm at 48 days clean and sober BTW...is this PAWS? Thanks for letting me vent
Old 02-25-2008, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

lol
know the feeling, but just you wait the best is yet to come!!!!
We are here for ya honey and sticking in keep up the fight it is way worth it!!!!!
Old 02-25-2008, 08:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Could be a lot to do with PAWS but the main thing is you have your Doc involved, so thats good.

Try not to let your head run away with you mate, at 48 days I was going from manically happy to crying with my head in my hands in the blink of an eye. It got better slowly, I am sure the same will happen for you given time, we are all different but at 48 days I reckon most people are still pretty messed up chemically. Give it time and keep strong Rob.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi , I am back to day 1, but did do 2 month sober in a previous attempt. I have struggled to think how I felt but cannot recall these symptons at this stage...we are all different though.

I have used Hypnosis to great effect for panic and anxiety in the past...but I don't know if this would be appropraite for you at this time. Your doc would be the one to ask whether anything like this would be beneficial for you perhaps.

Others with much more experience and advice will be along to help you soon, I am sure, I just wanted you to know you are not on your own and that help will be on its way. Hang in there. :ghug3

Yep -you had two posts while I was writing this!
Old 02-25-2008, 09:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

You sound like me on my ailments thread. Your talking to your Dr so thats good.
Just hang in there.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Aw, Rob. Sounds like what I'm going through, only yours sounds ten times worse. My social anxiety and OCD have shot up in the past couple weeks, and I've felt flu-y for the past few days. Maybe these are just 1.5-month road bumps?

Hang in there.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
29a
God is my benzo

Some people do have medical/mental issues to deal with, and I am not a dr, but this is my experience, it may or may not pertain to you

I thought I had social anxiety, depression etc when I was drinking. I took medications to aleviate the symptoms. what I came to find, after working the steps, was that these symptoms were physical manifestations of the guilt, shame, fear, and lies that I held inside. I worked the steps, I cleaned out all the garbage inside that was literally making me sick, and the symptoms vanished. I am no longer anxious, I am not afraid of people, I am not depressed.
I certainly respect the fact that some people are chemically imbalanced and I sympathize with them. but if your like me and it's not so much a chemical imbalance as a spiritual one, the steps will set you free.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hang in there Rob. I'm glad you are seeing the doctor...that will be a big help. I, like 29, have been experiencing gradual lifting of my anxiety symptoms the longer I am sober. Just wanted to say I know how you feel, you are not alone, and you can do it! Stay close. Jomey
Old 02-25-2008, 02:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Rob,

Try to remember they're just thoughts. They're just words in your mind, and they can't control you. Have you considered trying meditation to help calm your mind?
Old 02-25-2008, 03:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Keep talking to your doctor, Rob. I had run-on anxiety attacks for what seemed like weeks in early sobriety. At first I thought they'd just go away on their own. Thankfully I consulted a doctor who prescribed an SSRI for the anxiety and a med for the gastro pain. The attacks lessened quickly, then eventually lifted entirely. That was a relief!

Hang in there Rob. This too shall pass.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Since I quit drinking (24 days) I have been sleeping a lot more - that I know is depression. And I've had a panic attack - very real and scary. I also lost my appetite (not such a bad thing) and I frequently feel physically out-of-balance. I found that going for a good long walk helps some. Exercise helps. But you know, I've had really good results with accupuncture in the past - if you were up for trying that.

Quitting drinking took a huge piece of something out of the picture. And it has to be filled with something. Picture a house balanced on large rocks and you take one away. The house isn't going to be the same and will need some work to get balanced again. Good luck to you.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Rob,

It's always a pleasure to read your posts, even when you are struggling. I appreciate your candor. I don't think it matters so much what we call it i.e. PAWS. I think it's just important to acknowledge that we are having a moment of difficulty and need to take care of ourselves. You did that by seeing your doctor and by posting here. Please keep going to your meetings, and share with your sponsor.
I just finished an intensive trauma recovery weekend and I thought I got through it without any difficulty. I ended up in bed all day and I broke down in tears a little over an hour ago. I felt like I couldn't breathe, and felt out of control. I called my sponsor, who has experience in this area, and she helped me to ground myself. Don't underestimate the validity of your emotions or body sensations as you work on your recovery. It was very difficult to get through this experience tonight, but with another's help, I was able to do so.
Keep talking about it, keep working on your recovery, and stay in the present as best you can. Everything is going to be alright.

Ro
Old 02-25-2008, 09:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

48 DAZE !!!!!!Rob Rob ROB ... way to GO !!!
I'm so proud of you !!!!! YES! HYPOCHONDRIA ... is common. We're feeling .. anything ... after however long of feeling nothing. So yeah ... it's rough....but you're HEALING, hon... I"m so PROUD of you ... go back and read your first posts ... you've come MILES, Rob ... MILES...

woooHOO!
Old 02-25-2008, 10:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

ANXIETY....big time...
panic attacks EVERY DAY...
I can't friggin' relax...then I get all sad and melancholy...the whole " what about my wife and kids when I'm dead" head trip...its really debilitating....muscle tension...the s*** never ends...barely functional at work...racing thoughts...
I wish I had some cure to give you, but all I can offer is that I feel the same way. Especially the 'racing thoughts'. I'm SO dead tired, but I can't face that pillow with my mind going crazy and the clock blinking at me. I really hope you feel better.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Spiritualist for Fatima

I hope you feel better. I'm going on 7 days sober now and haven't slept at all the entire time b/c of the racing thoughts, the sweating, the tossing to my left, then tossing to my right, etc.... I was told by my doctor that your body becomes adapted to living with alcohol in the system and when all of a sudden it's taken away, it has to readjust to what it use to do normally. It has to reprogram itself. That's my fifty cents.....for once I feel that my mind and body are working together in harmony although I know it's going to take sometime to readjust and get all those toxins out. Take care and keep up hope! It can only get better!

Fifty
Old 02-25-2008, 11:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Rob, you're not insane... I think your nervous system is simply waking up again, (there's a reason its called a *nervous* system), and its wondering WTF?!?!?

You're feeling again, your mind isn't used to it, so its freaking out a little. I think it happens to all of us to some extent or another.

Serenity my friend, serenity... Sometimes you just have to sit back, watch the trees and simply breathe for a while.

Here's another thread you might be interested in checking out...

Old 02-26-2008, 03:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

OK my 2 cents, don't know where you live or how busy your days are but maybe try (if it's sunny) sitting in a chair with your face up to the sun and just breathe for at least 15-30 mins alone. For me I end up relaxed and take the sunshine with me. Glad your seeing a Dr.
Linda:sun:
Old 02-26-2008, 04:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

fifty -

you hang in, too hon - good job for you as well - it's just the body healing. it took more than thirty days to get in this mess - it's gonna take more than thirty days to get the body back together. You're doing great.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by barb dwyer View Post
Rob Rob ROB ... way to GO !!!

I'm so proud of you !!!!! YES! HYPOCHONDRIA ... is common. We're feeling .. anything ... after however long of feeling nothing. So yeah ... it's rough....but you're HEALING, hon...

woooHOO!
ditto what Barb said....

I'm no where near a doctor but IMO, that's IT!

we're FEELING again, d*mn it. --and I for one am NOT enjoying it. BUT --it's here, and I'm intent that it's here to stay.

Hang in there, Rob....... we're with you. Thanks for being here. I hate that you're suffering, but I'm glad to have company.

"misery loves company" -- did i just SAY that??? UG!!

sorry....... bu HUGGGGGGGGGGs!!
~C