SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   First cravings coming my way (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/144666-first-cravings-coming-my-way.html)

Mattcake 02-25-2008 08:08 AM

First cravings coming my way

Hi all,
Well, day 5 is underway, managed to get some good sleep. Feeling more refreshed and centred. However, cravings for alcohol are rearing their ugly head for the first time since my last drink. Passing thoughts like "hmmm, i'd love one glass of wine tonight". This time around I refuse to fool myself into thinking they're just fleeting fancies. So the true work starts now I suppose? Bit scared.
Matt

reed 02-25-2008 08:39 AM

just don't give in, keep your mind busy, hit an AA meeting, mind over matter, drink redbull or coffee instead, exercise etc. the longer you go without the easier it is to deal with cravings, be positive. think like a "sober" & you will be a "sober," change the mind and the body will follow.

CarolD 02-25-2008 09:24 AM

Hi Matt..
Good deal on your sober time!
:)

I timed my cravings.
They were 5-7 minutes in duration.
Not too long too endure discomfort.

Soooo....I took action.
Walk around ... brush teeth...drink cold water...a Lifesaver

Within 2 weeks...the lessened in both time and intensity.
By 2 or so months .... they vanished.

Now...were they mental or physical?
Darn if I know. Nor do I care.

warrens 02-25-2008 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by mattcake79 (Post 1685839)
Hi all,
Well, day 5 is underway, managed to get some good sleep. Feeling more refreshed and centred. However, cravings for alcohol are rearing their ugly head for the first time since my last drink. Passing thoughts like "hmmm, i'd love one glass of wine tonight". This time around I refuse to fool myself into thinking they're just fleeting fancies. So the true work starts now I suppose? Bit scared.
Matt

matt

This time I'm dealing with those thoughts in a different way. For the first time, I realize that there is no "glass of wine." That is for normal people. It does exist for them. For me it is a matter of how many glasses. 3,4,6?

That "case" is closed (no pun intended, but I'll take credit for it) for me.

warren

Dean62 02-25-2008 09:44 AM

This to shall pass matt.

I remember one day driving down the highway on my way from work to the liquor store. For some reason I decided to call my sponsor on the way there and tell him what I was up to. He told me he didn't care if I was on the highway or not I needed to pull over right there and pray, and then call him back after I was done. I didn't realize it until I was talking to him but the craving had stopped when I was praying. From there I went to two AA meetings instead of the liquor store.

The cravings do pass, how you get through them is up to you. Coming here is a start.

Originally Posted by CarolD (Post 1685938)
I timed my cravings.
They were 5-7 minutes in duration.

:rof

We became willing to do whatever it takes.

stone 02-25-2008 09:46 AM

My cravings always used to kick in JUST as I was starting to feel better, 'just one', 'just tonight' etc, lol! You know its BS, the trick is remembering that.
Keep going mate. :)

SF69 02-25-2008 09:49 AM

Yeah, it's a little work Matt, but you sound up for it.

I agree with Reed in that the busier I am, the less frequent I get cravings. But when they do occur, Carol and Dean have some good advice. Just remember, they will pass.

Mattcake 02-25-2008 10:25 AM

Thanks for the tips and encouragement guys, much appreciated. Dean, I've given your advice a try and it does seem to help, I increasingly find myself turning to prayer - who would have thought? You made me laugh warrens, thanks.

M :)