Notices

Life With An Addict

Old 02-24-2008, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Life With An Addict

A new member publicly posted a cry for help here yesterday. I hope the member doesn't mind that I'm drawing attention to their post, or that I'm about to take some quotes from it.

Here is the original post...
Warholian

I read a lot of pain coming through the post. Something that also came through loud and clear was the description of what life is like living with an active addict...

...I just can't stand to see him in situations that i find disgusting, degrading, and immoral...

...I think about his habits... and how they are only keeping us in an impoverished hole. We'll never retire, we'll never take a vacation, we're just rats living in a drug-ridden maze, looking for the next hit, and the next bundle of cash to keep us afloat...

...he seems to have forgotten all his promises to me...

...I think about leaving him often, as I have come to realize, after the endless fights, that he will never change...

...His excuses are endless...

...he has no respect for my position, no respect for changing circumstance, and no respect for my mental, physical or emotional well-being...

...It causes such torment between caring about him, and caring about myself. It makes me feel bad about my life and myself...

...I don't know what to do anymore...

...When we're in bed, I pretend he's not the person he is, and that everything is ok....

...He actually makes me believe that I am over reacting. That the feelings of hopelessness and worthlessness are irrational over-reactions on my part, and that what he does is perfectly acceptable....

...I feel like I'm living in a surreal dream-world. I don't feel real. I feel as if I float through life, hopeless and desperate for change...

...it feels like my soul is being ripped out on a daily basis...

...Tell me I'm not a crazy person...
I read those words and it gives me pause... It reminds me that what we are dealing with is deadly serious... This isn't a "game"... This isn't some "soap opera"... This is reality... This is *real*...

Are you someone who is going through the same thing? ... If you are, please realize that it doesn't have to be this way, and that you are not alone...

Are you someone who is putting someone ELSE through this kind of h#ll? ... Be honest...

Life does not have to be this way.