Notices

Sober 3 months & under Part 2

Old 02-28-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Rob From Canada eh!!

Hi Everyone from Rob

Hi Ladies and Gents,

Haven't left the planet since my little 4 beer slip. Haven't had the computer on at night last week or so, Actually have been going to bed at 8:30 every night trying to catch up my sleep.

My slip has made me more determined and I understand how useless drinking really is as a helper for stress and life's little problems.

I am also not going to care about counting the days so much anymore, just no that I am going to be sober for a long time.

Am going to catch up tonight and put in my two cents worth as usual

Thanks everyone

Rob
Old 02-28-2008, 07:54 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
where the light is

NM & Rob - it's great to see you guys posting on this thread! You sound good!

Warrens - been reading many of your posts on other threads. You have really been helping others!

Just finishing up day 74. There is a pretty serious family crisis occuring right now (not involving my wife & two little ones) so I have been highly stressed the past 3 days. A young relation has abandoned everything and has not contacted anyone (is likely drinking). I have managed to get through it so far by talking to my wife & a colleague, praying, reading/posting on SR (it helps me get out of my head), and focusing on what I have learned in AA and on SR. I will be attending an AA meeting tomorrow & seeing my sponsor. If this was happening while I was out of town...I just don't know. That old 'just a few beers to relieve the pressure' has been hanging around in the back of my mind but it is not a serious threat right now. There really is nothing I can do about this situation and I am trying hard not to worry too much about it but when it involves loved ones it's tough. I really have to take things one day at a time especially at a time of such uncertainty.

This post is not meant to worry anyone. It just helps to get it out. This is all a part of life and I have to (actually, I will) get through it without alcohol. Everything will be fine. Take Care. D

Last edited by gravity; 02-28-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:02 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Hi NM, Rob, Warrens.

Gravity. I know you can get through it without alcohol. I have read your posts and I think you have great sobriety. I really like what you are doing.

Having said that if I may.....
Originally Posted by gravity View Post
I have managed to get through it so far by talking to my wife & a colleague, praying, reading/posting on SR (it helps me get out of my head), and focusing on what I have learned in AA and on SR. I will be attending an AA meeting tomorrow & seeing my sponsor.
Ok that's what I'm talking about when I say I like what you are doing. :bounce

That old 'just a few beers to relieve the pressure' has been hanging around in the back of my mind but it is not a serious threat right now.
Do me a favor and bounce that one off your sponsor and see if he has anything to say.

There really is nothing I can do about this situation and I am trying hard not to worry too much about it but when it involves loved ones it's tough. I really have to take things one day at a time especially at a time of such uncertainty.
Sorry to hear about your relative. This is kind of a serenity prayer moment. What you can control is you and how much love and support you give to your relatives who are around and need your strength.

You probably already know that. Take care.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:33 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Hi, I want to introduce myself. My name is mtnmagic and I have 21 days today. I've been in contact with some of you on this board and it has been a real life saver to me. I have been up and down and all around these last three weeks. Negative Man has been so helpful to me (as others) and I am so grateful to have this board for help and support.

I work the swing shift and live in the Pacific Time Zone. This means that I am usually around trudging these threads late at night after most of you are asleep. I know if I hang in there, trudging may turn into "happily skipping through" once in awhile.

The last two days I have been just wickedly sad and depressed for no real reason. NM, barb dwyer, splashy and a few others have kept in constant contact with me. It really keeps me going. Just a post, a few words of encouragement. It makes all the difference in the world.

I knew if I just hung on, didn't listen to that voice that told me, "One glass of wine won't hurt you. You'll relax!" that I could get through the sadness and depression.

Well, it worked...I found myself actually laughing tonight at work. Big sigh of relief for me.

I hope to get to know all of you better on this thread.

A little about me. I'm in very early recovery from alcoholism. I'm a codie also. My exhusband is a recovering alcoholic. I have two sons. One completely caught up in the addiction of pain meds. One is in his freshman year in college (so far signs point to normal..but with my family history who knows.)

Thanks for reading my post.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:38 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hi Guys, been a few days since i posted on this thread. Having a hard time keeping up with everything lately. But I'm not letting it bother me. it's not worth it. I'm just doing what I'm able to do.

Today is day 42 for me. It's hard to believe I'm still trudging along. I've had a good week so far. No crisis this week. Thank god. LOL It's snowing again and I've had the winter blues the past couple of days. I get that every winter, even when i drank. I think when i drank though it was much worse where alcohol is a depressant to begin with. So, i can't wait till spring so i can go out and get my spring plants going.

Glad to see everyone on here and doing well.

Welcome to mtnmagic and Congrats on your 3 weeks. You've found a good forum here with a lot of supportive people.

Take care,
Barb
Old 02-29-2008, 09:14 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Just me checking in. Today is day 45, and I'm doing well, I think. I'm working the steps with my sponsor. I'm still working step 4. I have to admit that I've been kind of dragging my feet with this step. mainly because between work and doing all the things I've been not doing due to drinking, I have no time! I was feeling real bad about it, and talked to my sponsor, and he basically told me "It's not a race." He made sure I was going to meetings at least once a week (I go to about 4 or 5 a week) and that I'm not drinking. Other than that, he thinks I'm doing fine.

I concur.

Again, I want to say, I'm so glad I found SR. You guys all ROCK!!!
Old 02-29-2008, 09:30 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
where the light is

Hi Dean62,

Thank you so much for the encouragement & support. I am really learning to trust my instincts (not always easy) and it really helps when others believe that I am on a good path.

Bit of an update on my situation. My missing relative did call me this morning and was very confused & upset. I still don't know what the cause of her behaviour is. I did maintain my composure and offered love & support without enabling her in any way (eg. did not offer to send any money, she asked but I refused to call her counsellor on her behalf). She does not seem to be in any danger but has not addressed the situation. So things are a bit better. When I woke up, I asked the Creator to watch over her, 2 hours later she called, safe - how about that!

Originally Posted by Dean62 View Post
Do me a favor and bounce that one off your sponsor and see if he has anything to say.
I ran the whole situation by my sponsor and he thought I was handling it perfectly. He also reminded me that the reason I am able to respond so well is because I am sober. As you suggested, I also asked him about the 'few beers to relieve the pressure' thoughts (he knows the feeling). He just asked me if I was going to drink today? I said no. He said good enough..everything is going according to plan! I'm going to another meeting tomorrow & we are going for coffee after.

I am using the Serenity Prayer and while I can accept that I cannot change this situation, I am having difficulty not getting emotional about it. I'm starting to believe that what I am feeling is normal, a part of life and I have to accept that as another thing I cannot change.

I hope you had a great day. Take care. D
Old 02-29-2008, 09:49 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by mtnmagic View Post
The last two days I have been just wickedly sad and depressed for no real reason. NM, barb dwyer, splashy and a few others have kept in constant contact with me. It really keeps me going. Just a post, a few words of encouragement. It makes all the difference in the world.

I knew if I just hung on, didn't listen to that voice that told me, "One glass of wine won't hurt you. You'll relax!" that I could get through the sadness and depression.

Well, it worked...I found myself actually laughing tonight at work. Big sigh of relief for me.
Wow! We are going through such similar emotions. The sun is starting to poke through the clouds for me as well and I am catching myself laughing and enjoying the good things in my life - my family, my job, my health, my sober friends. Everything is getting better - just have to be patient. I wish you all the best. D.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:27 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Thanks gravity. It's pretty amazing isn't it, when a bit of that sunshine starts to poke on through?

I relate to your earlier post about getting emotional in situations that are close to your heart. Heck I can relate to getting emotional to any kind of situations right now.

Thanks for the reminder about the serenity prayer. Sometimes I try and analyze and make things complicated when there is no need. A simple action is all it takes. Hope all is well with you tonight.

Also, I appreciate the welcome from you scaredykat and congratulations on your 42 days. That is awesome!
Old 03-01-2008, 01:44 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I'm happily cruising along with one full month sober. Maybe it's a pink cloud but I'm enjoying good health, a clear head, no hangovers, but admittedly a little bored. I was reading the post about what to do with all this sober time and found some good ideas there. Thank you.
I even managed to hit the gym yesterday but when I came out I was thinking, hey when I retire I'm going to buy a sailboat, sit on it and drink all day. Geez, why does that sound so good? Of course my next thought was why wait till retirement, so it's a good thing that before a plan like that can be put into place there is plenty of time to rethink it.
Still, sitting on a sailboat drinking all day sounds pretty good. Gotta quit thinking like that!
Old 03-01-2008, 01:54 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Sportster

The thought of retirement (couple years) is one of my motivators. I've thought about it a lot in the past year or so. On work nights, I'd drink 2-4 beers. On weekends, 6-10.

That worried me. What would retirement bring? Of course I knew the answer to that. I am powerless, aren't I?

So, my stopping this train here and now may just save my life from retirement. A clean and sober retirement. How 'bout that for a "vision?" Two years of sobriety may just give me what I will need then from relapsing. I sure hope so.

warrens
Old 03-01-2008, 04:23 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Hi gang! Just popping in to see how everybody's doing?

Finishing up week 6 today. Doing great craving wise, but been dealing with anger issues the last few days, so I haven't been posting (don't want to misdirect my anger at someone here).

Well, gotta go and get ready to go to a meeting. Have a good evening!
Old 03-02-2008, 10:32 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Good morning.

It's Sunday day 37 and I don't want to drink.

I'm cleaning the kitchen and listening to music this morning. Not sure how else the day is going to go. The boys will all be coming over for dinner tonight so the wife and I need to go grocery shopping at some point. No church today.

My youngest son and daughter-in-law have been living with us for about a month and a half. I love them, I don't love the drama that surrounds them. This morning they left after not cleaning like we asked and my wife is upset. She seems to be irritated with me daily. Not sure what to do about family members. I have the next four days off and I'm going to enjoy them, cleaning, going to meetings, working the first step with my sponsor, prayer and music. Maybe go to a movie too.

I'm grateful to have God in my life today. He has made today a gift for me and I want to enjoy it.

The rest will fall in place.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:43 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Hi guys, Day 44 for me today. I've been having the winter blues bad the past couple of days. Just want to sleep a lot. I hate it. But i know "this too will pass". I can't wait till spring to get out and play in my garden. I love my rose bushes and wait wait to prune them and get them ready for spring and summer.

I'm hoping to get to more meetings this week. Between being sick and the weather i missed more than i want too. I can feel it when i don't get to enough. I get that yucky feeling in the head is what i call it. I don't want to drink. I just get that weird feeling were I don't feel right. You know what i mean?

Going to a Birthday party soon. I hope everyone has a good day.

Barb
Old 03-02-2008, 02:29 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Rob From Canada eh!!

Sounds like we all want spring now

Hi Everyone,

Rob here,

Not sure which day I am on, but I definitely can't wait until spring and spring for me will bring relief from the winter blahs and many more temptation situations for me. We spend every weekend plus holidays at our trailer the nightly camp fires will have others drinking. I am so glad that being sober for the last three months minus my slip of 4 hours will help me so much.

During last summer I had many weekends where I didn't drink so I don't think people will push me to drink, but I am sure the offers will be there and I don't know if I am going to just say I quit drinking or not or just come up with another excuse and after a couple of weekends our friends at the trailer will just leave it a that.

I have also decided to attend a AA meeting, other than you guys who have been amazing. I could not have achieved my sobriety without support on this site, I don't have any other people in my life who are alcoholics to help me
or relate experiences with.

Anyway just sitting and surfing on my mac so everyone stay well and cheers
for now

Rob

:ghug2
Old 03-02-2008, 03:05 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SF69 View Post
Hi Everybody! Just doing my morning check-in, and happily announce that this is Day 30 for me. Thanks to everyone for all of the support, advice, and help over the last month. It would have been much more difficult without you guys.
Congrats on your 30 day mark. Today is my first day, and I look forward to going without a drink for 30 days. The most I've ever been able to do is a about a week.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:06 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mayorob1 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Rob here,

Not sure which day I am on, but I definitely can't wait until spring and spring for me will bring relief from the winter blahs and many more temptation situations for me. We spend every weekend plus holidays at our trailer the nightly camp fires will have others drinking. I am so glad that being sober for the last three months minus my slip of 4 hours will help me so much.

During last summer I had many weekends where I didn't drink so I don't think people will push me to drink, but I am sure the offers will be there and I don't know if I am going to just say I quit drinking or not or just come up with another excuse and after a couple of weekends our friends at the trailer will just leave it a that.

I have also decided to attend a AA meeting, other than you guys who have been amazing. I could not have achieved my sobriety without support on this site, I don't have any other people in my life who are alcoholics to help me
or relate experiences with.

Anyway just sitting and surfing on my mac so everyone stay well and cheers
for now

Rob

:ghug2
A very healthy view! Keep up the good work!
Old 03-02-2008, 04:03 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi guys, just came in to wave hello and cheer you all on Kevin
Old 03-02-2008, 07:04 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Day something (10?)... I kinda quit counting because it doesn't matter really. Nice to get so much work done last few days. I'll tell you though... the first week while I didn't have so much cravings, I really did take a vacation from doing ANYTHING.

One of the things that drove my production was the guilt I'd feel after being drunk the night before and sleeping half the day. Then by 2-4pm, I'd get hot and heavy for a few hours then get back on the booze train then repeat. Damn this is really weird. I'm trying to get my productivity turned around to 'free will' desire because my guilt trip is gone.

Well at least tomorrow I'll be up all chipper and **** and get my butt to work! (No sunshine unicorn here! roftlmao!)
Old 03-02-2008, 07:50 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Thirding (or Fourthing?) wanting spring to get here. It amazing how much effect it has on my mood. Last week and a half, cold with lots of snow and ice...terrible mood. Today, it was sunny and it got above freezing and I was in a great mood, and I got a lot accomplished today.