Notices

Smart Recover in the OC

Old 02-17-2008, 06:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Smart Recover in the OC

Hello,

I am not AA but I want to use SMART Recovery as my treatment plan. No problem, I got them six days a weeks except for Saturday and that is when I get in the most trouble.

My question is is okay to AA meetings if you are using an alternative treatment plan but need the AA meeting to remain sober on the toughest day to remain sober.

AA works for a lot of people but this program is more close to my world view and I would invest more time into this recovery group include starting a local meeting in the OC (ANd that the OC 3+milllion people. They have no SMART Recovery face-to-face group.

AA works a lot of people but it does not work for me. But I want invest my time into the group because right now, it the only way for me to get sober. And when I am leader (not by choice), than I have lot more investment into recovey than if I just rely on the normal methods.

Remember, this group is need in the OC and nobody wants to put the effort in the group. But I will do it, because my job requires 12 months of soberity and frequent activity in support group. Well, then what if you create a your own recovery group out of thin air because nobody want to do it.

Look,, we want to make people sober. But not everybody wants to do it the AA way, than it time for me to create 1st weekly recovery meeting in the OC that is non 12-step and secular-based. I do it for my own recovery. But others need it far more better than I do and I have the spare time to invest into the group.

For me, SMART Recovery coexists with AA. At least when I lead the group, I will teach CBT behavior and AA handles the spiritual part of recovery.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

What ever you find works is good, Even a mix is good.
The more areas we can draw from, the more info we can take in and that just may be the difference for staying sober one more day.

What you would want to be careful of though...if your passion becomes stronger for one over the other, remember that both can work and not put one down over the other.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I suggest you contact SMART on how to begin a meeting.

As far as going to AA meetings
the only requirement is that one has a desire to quit drinking.

I have 2 questions ...no need to share your answers here
but for you to consider...

1. If SMART is working so well for you 6 days a week
why do you need another way for day 7?
Spend day 7 practicing what you learned.

2..Is your motive to attend AA to recruit members to SMART?

I do hope you continue to succeed because
Recovery Rocks!
Old 02-17-2008, 09:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Crisco-- thanks for posting this!

I'm in the OC, and might be interested in a SMART meeting...but there's one problem:

I have no idea what SMART is! Can you (or someone else) explain it for me?
I've done AA, and sometimes it helps and sometimes meetings make me want to drink MORE. I'm always curious about what's available out there.

Thanks!

B'sT
Old 02-17-2008, 09:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is a list for you BT
including SMART

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

Had I not been successfully AA sober
when it was founded
I certainly would have tried SMART.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Use whatever works but be careful. I used SMART for a year. The problem I eventually encountered was that they were too lenient for people who want to try moderating their drinking. A big no-no for me since I had tried moderating for YEARS. An alcoholic will grasp at any straw that suggests that they might be able to drink again.

Alcoholics cannot drink. Period.

jane
Old 02-17-2008, 11:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am in the middle of the book rational recovery.Any feedback on this would be nice.Gums54
Old 02-18-2008, 02:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by gums54 View Post
I am in the middle of the book rational recovery.Any feedback on this would be nice.Gums54
You won't get any quality feedback from this site for RR.
From what I have read from them... part of their teachings are to bash other groups. After seeing that, I read enough. The best way to find positive answers about RR would be google them and visit their site if it is still around.
Any other group I have read about all seem to have one thing in common... acceptance of others. When I see a person or a group showing signs of rejection that tells me they still harbor resentments and a healthy recovery program would help a person work through such things not promote more.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have been coming to the same conclution.Thanks. Gums54.