Notices

The Big Book for AA - Can you do it at home?

Old 02-16-2008, 02:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Big Book for AA - Can you do it at home?

Hi, I posted earlier and as stated in my area there are only late meetings. If I purchase the Big Book and read it will I understand it all alone? Or is this something that really needs to be done at meetings? If it is I won't spend the money on it but if someone like me has it and used it at home please let me know if it helped you. Thanks in advance.

:praying
Old 02-16-2008, 03:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Tai Chi. Yes it has helped me very much.

The book was designed for way back when there weren't many meetings. To understand what is written and how it applies to you - you will need some one on one support. Some of us couldn't relate to some of it at the start. You will find a sponsor for that support in a meeting. Later, meetings can be for fellowship and company if you feel lonely.

I hope you will be able to get the courage to change your life and go to a meeting. When you are there, ask for someone to go through the book with you.

Tell us about your drinking. Did you drink alone?
Old 02-16-2008, 03:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have several recovered friends in Mass, send me a pm if you are interested in getting in contact with someone.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You don't have to buy it ...it's available for free online!
Read it and see if it has any worthwhile information.
If you identify, even just a little...then I think you'll see the reason that it's a "WE" program.
Keep coming back!
Here's a link to my favorite version of the online edition, but you can do a search, there are others...

AA Big Book
Old 02-16-2008, 03:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
29a
God is my benzo

It only cost 6 dollars where i'm at, charlotte nc, and it's priceless. i do not feel that I personally could have done it without a sponsor, a home group etc. also, i've made the best friends of my life in aa, and I wouldn't want to do it with out them. some may be able to, but for me, no way could I have done it alone.

I drink alone, we get sober together
Old 02-16-2008, 06:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Tai, welcome to the family...

tai
will I understand it all alone?
IMO, if one is willing to be honest with themselves, and not pick it apart...

read the words in Italics, and the "Musts" it is doable...

if you can find a decussion group of it, its way better...

how free does one wanna be?

good wishes tai

rz
Old 02-16-2008, 07:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't think you HAVE to attend A.A to understand the Big Book.But being around people who are living it/are familiar with it, helps.I don't belong to A.A-but I attend meetings sometimes when I feel the need to be with others who 'get it'.

There are lots of books out there that support recovery.Do look into them.The other one I also found helpful was 'Beyond the influence'-available on amazon.com.

Julesxox
Old 02-16-2008, 10:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Red face On target

I can't seem to match with AA.The big book seems to good feelings about being sober though.I find it very helpful.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You can read it at home and probably get a lot of good out of it. I did, and still do. Hadley, MA, huh? I used to spend summers out that way at Lake Wyola. I'm in Boston. Anyway... I'd pick up a copy and give it a go.
Mike
Old 02-16-2008, 11:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

You might find our Big Book and Step Study area here at SR useful to you. The Big Book study section is listed below the Steps on the link I am providing. So if you want to read and learn about how the Big Book applies to our lives then scroll down the page and start with the Forward, then The Doctor's Opinion, then Chapter One, and so on. This actually should make it easier for you to understand the Big Book since there are explanations of passeges where things may not appear clear upon reading them. Here is the link:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/step-study/

Hope you find this useful.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I read it and found it helpful, at least for the most part.

I didn't need help in understanding it, but I do take the point that discussion, either one on one or in a group, might be even more beneficial

D
Old 02-17-2008, 11:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tai Chi View Post
Hi, I posted earlier and as stated in my area there are only late meetings. If I purchase the Big Book and read it will I understand it all alone? Or is this something that really needs to be done at meetings? If it is I won't spend the money on it but if someone like me has it and used it at home please let me know if it helped you. Thanks in advance.

:praying
There are those who have tried just reading the Big Book alone without meetings and have continued to drink.
Most who regularly attend a BB meeting will say that one gains so much more than just reading it alone. Its a matter of multiple people reading and then reflecting on the same reading; you will hear things that you would not have thought of on your own. Also, it is important to understand that certain words in the book will have different meanings today, which may be pointed out in the meeting.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I can only speak for me. I need the whole thing, the program which is in the book, a sponsor to guide me through the 12 steps, meetings to connect with other addicts and the fellowship to hold me and to hold others in whatever way I can.

But hey thats just me.

Kevin
Old 02-19-2008, 12:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That makes two of us Kev.